Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
jpsbanjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8398
generators

I've been considering getting a generator just for some back up power and for occasional boondocking. I don't want to go with the bigger rv mounted type (heavier,take more space,not portable) I was strongly looking at the Honda ue 2000. Then i saw an ad for a Boily 3600. It supposedly can deliver a peak of around 3400watts and steady 3000watts. That should be enough to power a 15000 BTU A/C which the Honda won't.(unless you get two and hook them together) It only weighs around 63 pounds.It is on sale at 990.00 which I believe is around the same price as the Honda. Anybody out there in MOC land familiar with these Boliy's? Are they any good?

jpsbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
jpsbanjo, interesting...but troubling that I was unable to find a manufacturer's website for this unit. I agree "IF" the non-legit sites are posting actual performance specifications then you have a great deal. I am not convinced this is something I would purchase unless I had a local distributor and could touch it, and listen to it run.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Here is a thread from "some other" RV forum. It is an old thread, but might help you decide. >>Boliy Generator

You can pay your money and take your chances, or you can pay more money for a proven gen set. At the end of the day, it's your call, because it's your hard earned dough that you're spending. Me, I ponied up for twin Hondas for the flexibility of using a single for low demand, and parallel units for the high demand things like A/C, etc.

Perhaps they may have been improved since the above thread was discussed, but who knows.

Edit:
Incidentally, it is Boliy, not Boily.

Another edit:
Found a web site for them. http://www.boliyusa.com/ Haven't checked it out yet.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
Ever been next to someone who bought a cheap generator ? So loud everyone around them is mad at them .
chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have never heard of the gen you mention. IMO the twin Honda generators are the most logical way to go due to the versatility.. IF you even need a generator. 15 years ago it was not uncommon to have power fail or be low at a C.G. Campgrounds have upgraded power in the last few years and we have rarely used our generator. We do not deliberately Boon dock and it would not be worth the cost, to us, for a occasional boondock. We do have the Kipor 3500. It is heavy, @ 135lbs, it will put out 30 amps and it will run one or the other A/C without a problem. It is very quiet and very comparable to the Honda generators. To be honest cost Vs benefits..it was not worth it and if I had it to do over I would not purchase any generator. I would stick to name brands for reliability and repair facilities.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As Rich says, try and stick to a brand name unit for repair purposes. I have not seen many towns across the US without a Honda dealer. We just have the one 2000 and used it at Quartzsite boondocking and once in Ohio while at a mil fam camp when Ike blew through. If I was doing more boondocking, I would have two 2000's with the parallel kit. The unit you are looking at may be the better mousetrap, but getting it serviced when you need it may be difficult. I view the extra cost for the Hondas as an insurance plan.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
How good is a Boliy generator..try to find a satisfied or dissatisfied owner. I've never heard of the brand.
On the other hand...try and find a dissatisfied Honda owner. I have one and have never heard anything bad about them.
You get what you pay for. Same price, $990, as a Honda then without any hesitation I would get the Honda. Go to Wise.com and get it cheaper than $990.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chas

Ever been next to someone who bought a cheap generator ? So loud everyone around them is mad at them .
The Boliy is supposed to be pretty quiet, though maybe not as quiet as the Honda. It is not a contractors style unit, it appears to me to be a Chinese knock-off of the Yamaha 2400. The Kipor is another quiet "no name" generator that quite a few people are happy with as well.

A couple of years ago, the Boliy had a less than stellar reputation. Today, who knows, maybe they have improved. They seem to have a sales/service network in the midwest. If I lived out there, and was on a limited budget, I might have looked harder at them.

Hondas and Yamahas are not the "be all/end all" solution for everyone, though they do have the most established reputation and nationwide dealer/service networks it seems. For me, the initial cost savings of the "no name" brands vs. the reputation/performance/service of the Honda or Yamaha units was not enough to sway me in favor of the Kipor or Boliy gennies.

In the end, I chose to go with two Honda units, one eu2000ia Companion and one standard eu2000ia for the versatility. I was vasilating between that and maybe twin Honda eu3000's, but the weight of two of those, and fuel usage, pushed me back to the twin eu2000's. I was more comfortable spending the extra money for Hondas track record than gambling on the underdog. A good decision for me, but for somebody else, the option of the Kipor or Boliy may be the better choice.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We were looking at the Boyily also but we went to several reputable small engine repair shops and not one had ever heard of them so we figured if you ever needed repair or parts you would have to send it back to them. I believe the Kipor has a new 3000 watt without the electric start that is smaller and lightweight. I think they do have a dealer network around.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Freind of mine has one of the Boliy(china knock-off) 2800 watt. Quiet, but not as quiet as a Honda when under a load. Just got it so not sure how well it will hold up.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you've ever done any boondocking you KNOW that QUIET is the name of the game when it comes to generators. The quieter the better. You will get tired of hearing the thing run and so will your neighbors. In my mind even the very quiet running Hondas and Yamahas are too noisy! But at least they are very fuel efficient and relatively quiet.

Been there and done that.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A note on the Kipor generator. Although they were not well known or sold in the USA they were sold in the rest of the world for quite a while. Just because we in the USA may never have heard of a brand does not mean they are not any good. There is more to the planet than the USA.
Kipor does have a dealer network and repair facilities and any repair facility than can repair a Honda cam repair a Kipor. It is true that many Honda only dealers would NOT repair ANY other brand of Generator because they did not want you to have any other brand. They are pretty much a knock off of the Honda generator as local repair facility said they are over 85 % exactly the same. There are several brands of quiet and efficient gen's out there. The twin Honda appeal to me because of the versatility but we got the Kipor because of the price at the time. Can't tell you how many folks have walked by while I am doing a maint run on the Kipor saying.."those Honda's are sure quiet aren't they'
Then..I did not know thay made them in yellow??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
jpsbanjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8398
Many thanks to all who replied. This is the kind of helpful and honest opinion type of info I like. You all make good points and offer food for thought. Happy motoring to all!
jpsbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote