Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
A Newbie Going Full Time

Hello Everyone... Great site here.
I'm in the hunt for a 5er to live in full time while we're on the road working for a few years. I just got my TV delivered... 06 F350 4x4 SRW CC LB with my hitch installed.

My DW and I have been looking @ Foley RV in Burlington, Washington. We have narrowed it down to a 3650RK(DW likes)and the 3400RL(I like).
Our salesman recomended this site to learn from the pros.. the guys that already have one.
So... I said all of that to say, I've gotta buch of questions.

I already printed out the PDI list that yall (I'm from Texas) talked about. That is a GREAT BIG help.

1.) My concern on the 3650RK is that the carpet in the living area would get premature wear due to the excessive traffic going from the from door to the kitchen all the time. (We like to cook out a lot.)

2.) With the 3650RK being in the back, would it bounce more in the back causing more dishes and stuff to be thrown about the cabinets?

3.) I just noticed the "Moving To Montana Package" If I plan on taking my Monty to Alaska to work, Is this something I would need? Is this package even related to weather?

4.) After looking at other websites about purchasing an RV should I be expecting to get around 18% knocked off the price tag? Can yall tell this is my first time buying ?

Thanks in advance for your patience with me.

Bluegill
Sorry for being so long winded.

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Welcome to the forum!

I'll start by saying I'm not biased...but last Fri the DW and I picked up a 2007 Montana 3400RL.

Some suggestions:
- Tell the dealer you want a "Factory Retail Price Sheet." It will have the price for each rig and a list of options with prices.
- The Value Package and the Moving to Montana Package are what they call 'mandatory options.' I guess it's so Keystone can say that the base model only costs $xxxx. Those two packages add up to $6490 (MSRP).
- Get the Arctic Insulation Package...everybody does, and if you check the brochure, the high "R" ratings only come with this package.
- We opted for the 3400RL because we figured we'd be spending more time in the living area than in the kitchen, and with the RL you can sit in the recliners and see out three sides. With the RK, if not in the kitchen, your visability is limited.
- With MorRyde suspension system, they say the RK's ride fine, no problems with dishes, etc. Can't vouch for that.
- I'd look more in the 25% off range. At least that's what we get off here in AR/OK. My dealer just sold one to a guy from Denver, CO, 'cause he got a $4000 better deal here.

PM me if you want more details.

Have fun!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Cat-
I will do as suggested, get the retail sheet. The unit we saw did have the Artic Package already just not sure about the rest. I'm one of those guys that always thinks of all the good questions after the conversation is over.
Maybe I can talk the DW in to looking at the 3400RL one more time. Although, I want her to be "More Happy" because she will be in it more than me since I will be working all day. If momma aint happy... nobody is happy.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
RK vs RL - gee, that's why they make the different models. I, too, like the RL models, but you don't live with me. I have been married 46 years to the same woman. There are reasons for that, like accomodating her felt needs. Buy what she likes and you will forget what you deemed better after a good meal coming out of that rear kitchen.

By-the-way, we came from the Houston area also. I did some time as a mechanical designer at Dow's E&CS. With CAD, it is a better world than when I was doing it.

In my view, the carpet issue is moot. These units are small and "excessive wear" is inevitable when living fulltime in 400 sq. ft. Like your stick house, carpet replacement will be a necessity at some point. If it is nylon carpet, your shoes will wear out first.

Your understanding of physics and the kitchen being behind the wheels is correct, but it may not be significant. As has been said, the right kind of king pin connection (and there are several) will minimize your movement.

Great questions. Welcome to the Forum and happy shopping...

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
While we are partial to the 3400 I will say we have had rear kitchens and you just have to pack it right and use some velcro on the doors and you will be okay. We spend a lot more time in the living room than the kitchen. Although the 3400 does have a very nice kitchen. This is our third fifth wheel and we like the idea you don't walk into the LR when you first come in or someone else does. The other thing we like is TV viewing is very good in thr 3400 for several people. We needed a desk becauser I was still working at the time and even now I spend a lot of time on the computer and the 3400 works great for that activity. The Moving to Montana package has nothing to do with weather or Montana. It is just a lot of nice extras. The brochure should list all the items it includes. Sit down in the units and do some childhood pretending. It helps. I know the feeling of indecision. We were still debating up until 1 minute before signing.
Happy trails..................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Stiles- You are totally correct. We just made our 25th anniversary last month and by using the same method. Sometimes I seem to "Over Analyze " the simplest things.

P.S. I like your personal quote.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Parrothead for the response. My bride LOVES to cook and spend time in the kitchen creating new things and using me as her test dummy. I try to get in there and help when i can and it seems like more room in the RK. So... I guess I'm sorta talking my way in to the RK doesnt it? :-)
Old 08-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Yes, it does but here is something else to think about. Both of you don't have to be on the stove side of the island. I sometimes help Ed (he is the chef in our family) anfd I stand on the dining room side of the island. If the 3650 had a desk we might have choosen it as I like the table area in that model.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 08-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Bluegill, welcome to the forum. My brother has a 3650RK and so far they love it. They have not had any problems with breakage in the few trips they have made. My one thing I would tell you about if you are going to full time in it is to consider the inside storage. The 3650 does not have the upper cabinet storage in the living areas as the other models do. The other thing to consider is you need to choose the model that rings your bell. Take care and we hope to meet you down the road somewhere.

Doug and Sharon
Lexi (our Cockapoo)
2004 3670RL
2002 Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab. 4X4

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We just picked up our 2007 3400 2 weeks ago. Our big plus was the rear picture window. We get up in the morning and have our caffeine while sitting in the recliners (spun around) and watch (sometimes with the binos) all the animal life moving around on Craven pond. Great Blue Herons, swans, ducks, all sorts of "fishing" birds, etc. Wouldn't be able to do that with a rear kitchen. But I do like how Montana has designed the counter space in their RKs.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Ahhhh...Hah.. the inside storage, good point DHenry. I forgot ALL about that. Its funny how sometimes you look at something for so long you start to lose sight of things. Tunnel Vision. I'm still taking a BUNCH of notes here and gathering all the info i can. The local RV parks wont have a month-to-month spot available until sometime in September so i still have some time to ponder and shop around.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Bluegill to the MOC family. BTW, Bluegill are one of my favorite fish.

I don't have a lot to contribute over what has already been said but as a full timer storage is a very important factor. It doesn't take long before you'll be wondering where to put all your stuff.

Cooking? Well that's pretty much unheard of in our rig as we eat out most everyday. If we eat in I just fire up the grill.

Carpets? After close to 3 years of full timing our carpeting still looks good. We just replaced the sofa and the area of all the traffic looks just as good as the area under the sofa. This winter all the carpeting will be given a good shampooing.

Discount? I had a very short stint as an RV salesman and learned I was too honest to make any money at it. One thing I also learned is most all RV dealers mark up the rigs from 35 to 45%. Getting a 25% discount should be a simple negotiating matter.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
James,

Howdy fellow Texans and welcome to the board. We own the 3400RL so you know which one we preferred. Our previous trailer had a rear kitchen and I swore I wouldn't own one again, it wasn't a Montana. Some on the boards have the rear kitchens and love them, but as posted you might need to pack things and have the Air hitch. Since I didn't own a Montana I am just giving you my opinion on the rear kitchen that we owned.

We looked at all different makes and models for over 8 months. We went back to the dealers numerous times and narrowed it down to the final choices. Once we did that we sat in them and pretended we were going through a typical day in the trailer. It was an eye opener for us as you find out where you would be putting your coffee pot. Where would your clothes be stored. If you were cooking how much room do you have for your pots and pans. If you are watching TV can you see it from the recliners as well as the couch. If you use a computer where is your hook up and is there a desk. For us buying the trailer was a big investment that you can't say "oh gosh I didn't get the right one I want to bring it back and get a different kind."

We all have our likes and dislikes and the lengths and the amount of room we feel that we need. If you have the time make several trips to the dealer and just spend time in the trailers. Storage is something that you can't do without, you might make a mental note of where you would put the things you think you have to have while traveling.

Good luck with your research and I hope you find the perfect Montana.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:18 AM   #14
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Glenn for the info. I should be able to negotiate a little smarter now. I dont mind someone making money off of me thats what makes the world go around, but I dont think they should take me to the bank either. I just want a fair deal
I'm sure I will be back soon with more questions.

Thanks again everyone who replied.
James
Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #15
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Colleen, Very well put. I have a long row to hoe. So I better get busy.

James
Old 08-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
To echo what Colleen said which was really great. You will also change things as you go along. You will take things with you you never use. And then decide you really do want to take something else. We change all the time. We brought a fan with us this time and haven't used it at all. Think about your morning routine, your meal routine and your evening routine. Also since you are new to full timing, your life is going to change. For instance, when I was working (we used the 5er for a second home so I could work out of our home area) I used makeup, jewelry, lots of clothes, etc. Now that I'm retired I rarely wear makeup and have simpler needs for hair, etc. I'm going to totally redo the cabinet over the dresser in the bedroom because I don't need even a 1/4 of what is there.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have narrowed it down to a 3650RK(DW likes)and the 3400RL(I like....You wil be pleased with your new 3650RK.

Do get the Dealer MSVRP..Untill you see it it would be difficult to determine the Discount.You should be able to negotiate 25 to 30% off a unit with a 60K MSVRP. Good advise from all te otet posters..We got the 3400rl 3 months ago....Wife liked that one..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Both are beautiful models, our favorites by the way.

As someone else said, the Moving to Montana and Value Packages are mandantory options. I guess that's how they appear to keep the base price down.

We've towed this rear kitchen for about 50k miles in the past four years and have broken one dish while on the road and one when we opened a cabinet door and it fell out and smashed against the edge of the island. The key for us was to put a small piece of that nonskid shelf liner between glass mixing bowls and glass measuring cups and other glass items. We're not particularly careful nor precise about how we place them, just put them between the items. We also use those small tension rods between cupboard areas to keep things from sliding forward when stopping suddenly. Our Montana has the peninsula that runs fore-aft with cupboard space overhead of the peninsula. My opinion is with a few minor precautions a rear kitchen is a non-problem. Some have had things thrown around more than we have but still not a big problem.

If you have problems with cabinet doors coming open and things falling out, be sure the male part of the latch is precisely positioned between the two female parts so both springs help to hold the door closed. If you have really heavy items in the cabinet that would push the door open anyhow, then strapping the door handles together helps. We have some cabinets where we cannot see them until the slide is open and if the doors opened they would get smashed by the slide. We use a dowel rod through those four handles and that keeps them closed.

Good luck. I hope you'll enjoy the Montana. We've been so pleased with both our Montanas that we have a third one on order.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

We have narrowed it down to a 3650RK(DW likes)and the 3400RL(I like....You wil be pleased with your new 3650RK.

Funny... You hit the nail on the head Rich. I'm sure i will be pleased with my new RK.

Thanks Steve for the tricks for the dishes and cabinet doors.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #20
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I thought it was great that your salesman recommended this site. Shows that not only Keystone but some dealers pay attention to us. Let us add our welcome to our really large extended family.

We fulltime in the smallest Montana (no longer available) the 2950RK and we absolutely love it. We bought our particular model because we use older camp grounds, and we knew with this model we would have no problem getting into the older parks. If and when we upgrade, we will go with the 3400RL.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote