Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Dish Satellite to Montana

I read the email requesting help with Satellite to bedroom. Does anyone have step by step instructions to get Satellite to the Montana period. Our Montana is 2005 and has Satellite box outside and inside cabinet above TV.

I have an extra Dish Satellite so I put it on a tripod and hooked it up to a TV outside the Montana? I took the Dish, found signal, hooked it to a TV outside the Montana. Bingo..... Perfect picture and channels. I thought this is great, simple! Thought to soon!

Next I hooked the cable to the outside of the Montana and a cable from the box inside to the TV nothing. Then I moved some cables around on the back of the TV and got the searching for signal display, and got picture. Fuzzy picture. Put it back on the TV outside the RV ... clear picture. Went back inside moved one wire on the TV .... nothing...put back the wire same as I had it with the fuzzy pic, nothing, tried for another hour or so... nothing... took the box back outside works! Gave up at that point before I was totally frustrated. Start over fresh and new another day. I did not have the booster in the bedroom on so I did try with that also, still nothing. Thought I better write to the experts before I fry something.... As you can see this is far from my specialty!
Thanks Bill

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Found this on the internet

Satellite TV for your Rv

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/sat.htm

Sorry, I don't know how to set up direct link to site

Hope this helps

bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bill,
In my opinion, with the satellite hooked up outside, you are going through the splitter that comes with the trailer. That splitter is a different band pass than the frequency of the output of the satellite receiver. You may want to run a separate line from the "dish" to the box in the trailer. Or, either eliminate the splitter or get a switch designed for the frequency of the satellite receiver. The Dish receiver can throw up to 5 volts on the line.

If your receiver has two sat inputs, you will need the Dish Pro Plus Separator, along with the Dish Switch.

What model receiver do you have? I may be able to provide more information knowing what model it is.

Bruiser,
Good article. I bookmarked it.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what model trailer you have, but in my 2955RL, I have used the outside "Cable/Satalite" RF connector to hook up to Direct TV (DISH is effectively the same). Inside the entertainment center, the double RF plug plate (normally there is a coax joined to each RF connector) is where the outside "Cable/Satellite" feed comes in. Normally it is the bottom RF plug but, depending on the mood of the "old world craftsman" hooking up the wires, it may be the top RF plug. If you connect the DISH box to the "cable/Satellite" RF plug as input and the output of the DISH box to the other RF plug, you should see the output on the living room TV. This assumes the batwing antenna in the bedroom closet is turned *OFF*

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Thanks so much for all your information. Makes it very clear as to why it was not working and what I need to do.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
cdaniels, this should help.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9azrzd&s=3
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I think somewhere in the above descriptions they talk about this but when I hooked my satellite up through the dual connections in the entertainment center, I wanted to be able to view everything on both TVs and switch back and forth between Cable and Satellite. So I split the line coming in from the outside connector (mine was the bottom connector inside the TV entertainment center, sending one line to the Direct TV receiver and the other to a switch (this must be a Cable or Antenna switch so power can flow through it when on satellite). From the Direct TV box you wire the out put to the same switch on the antenna side. So, the result is when on cable you switch to cable and the line bypasses the Direct TV box. When on satellite the switch it to Antenna which runs the line through the Direct TV box. Be sure the booster for the batwing antenna is off. Good luck. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I put an extra connector in the convenience center, run a coax from there across the storage area then drilled a hole under the dresser and ran the coax across the floor to the washer/dryer cupboard then up through the TV cabinet to the receiver. then covered the coax that was visible with moulding. Two receivers and we can watch what ever show we want on either TV
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote