Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blue Ray DVD - Need a Quick Answer

Looking into purchasing a Blue Ray DVD player. (I just like the quality)

Does anyone have any recommendations they would care to share?

Presently looking at Sony and Sharp with a considerable difference in price between the two. Sony goes for $388 and Sharp is on sale fro $299.

Help!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sony is the standard for which all others are judged.

I think Sony invented the Blue Ray -

I assume your looking at if for your house? The Monty TVs are not high enough resolution to fully realize the blue ray potential - they need to be 1080-P.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I did some research last May and picked the Samsung BD-P1200 over both the Sony and the Sharp. I bought a Sharp Aquos 32 in 1080p w/ 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio for the 3400. It was the best I could find at the time. I wanted the best Blu-Ray to go with it. The Samsung Blu-Ray was rated over the Sharp and the Sony at the time - maybe different now? I spent three weeks researching on the internet and in stores, including Best Buy and others

I have not been sorry. Spectacular video. Also remember that your Blu-Ray is only as good as your monitor/TV.

*On Edit~ Just checked online. The 1200 is currently going for $349. I paid $599 a year ago (it had just dropped from $799 the month before), but I knew that would happen. Worth every penny...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Another thing to remember is the Since PS3 is the only one out there right now that can be upgraded when new JAVA releases come out. JAVA is what makes the unit run. I to had a SAMSUNG BD-P1200 to go with my 52 inch SAMSUNG 1080P 25000/1 contrast ratio and the blue ray player was real slow to load and had jerky video, this is when I found out there was a new release/upgrade coming out and was told the unit could not be up graded so I returned it and got the PS3 which is up gradeable and works much better that the other one.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thats my plan Waldo - I'll get the Playstation 3 for another $50 over the Sony Blue-Ray, then I get the benefit of some hi-def gaming as well as blue ray play. But that still means a new TV in the house, and I'm not ready for that yet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rex, I just upgraded my BD-P1200 (5/2007) 20 min ago from a download off of Samsung's site. New firmware upgrade (3/2008). Some rare "No Disc Found" messages on some non-Blu-Ray discs - reloading the disc usually solved the problem. No other problems that I have experienced. Everyone is blown away by the "picture window" quality.

Blu-Ray DVD players are slow to load just by their nature - something to do with their technology. It was explained by someone (an MOCer?) once.

It's possible that you may have just gotten a "lemon", Rex.

Brad, my wife is working on getting a Wii system out of lay-a-way.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is a Sharp Aquos. It works well. But I couldn't tell you if it's better or worse than any other.

We started with a Playstation 3, thinking it would be a good thing to have onboard for our granddaughters (already have a PS2). However, that PS3 requires a great deal more ezperience with that type of equipment (game equipment) than either of us have or are willing to invest the time to get. The manual was nearly nonexistent and what was there was worthless to this uninitiated brain. After nearly throwing the PS3 against the wall a few times, we took it back and exchanged it for the ordinary player. If you have a great understanding of these game machines, then go for it. It just didn't work out for us. Our granddaughters and our kids would probably be right at home with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Steve,
What model did you pick up?
I have an opportunity to pic up a Sharp at the NEX, but I don't remember what model it is. They are reducing putting it on Sale for $299 versus $349 normal price.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sharp Aquos BD-HP20U. It plays Blu-Ray and ordinary DVD's but not HD DVD (non-Blu-Ray high definition). Vicki says to tell you it makes ordinary DVD movies look fabulous (We use the HDMI connection but it also has component and S-video connectors). Maybe it upconverts? Maybe they all upconvert? It does NOT record. It can do 5.1 surround sound through an amplifier. Also, DTS and Linear PCM, whatever those are (showing my ignorance). It also can play audio cd's but we've not tried that so cannot attest to quality.

The manual is impressive. The English portion is 48 pages of 8x12 pages.

You can email me for quicker reply if more questions. Click the envelope icon above this post. I think you may already have my email address (can't remember).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! The Sharp Aquos BD-HP50U is out now. I wonder if it could POSSIBLY be any better than the 20U. We are waiting out a storm and then going shopping.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As you would expect, the 50 appears to be the next generation followup to the 20.

http://dostudio.netblender.com/wikip...BDprofiles.asp

http://www.hdtvlounge.net/blu-ray/sharp-bd-hp20h/

http://www.hdtvlounge.net/blu-ray/sharp-bd-hp50u/
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
For the money I bought the PS3 and the optional remote for movies, I didnt find it any more difficult to use than a VCR or DVD player. Flip it on, push a disc in and the on screen menu tells you the rest.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The model for $299 is the Aquos 20U. I passed on picking it up. I got to thinking, and that is dangerous, that there will be other manufactures that will be coming out with BR and according to MOORE's law, availability will increase and prices will decrease.

Something else has come up and we are returning to Texas. Hopefully it will only be a delay of our trip to New England. Some things just cannot be avoided.

It will give me time to do some research and compare prices along the way.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Snownyet

For the money I bought the PS3 and the optional remote for movies, I didnt find it any more difficult to use than a VCR or DVD player. Flip it on, push a disc in and the on screen menu tells you the rest.
I am glad you were able to make sense out of the on screen menus. That confirms for me that I'm not smart enough to figure it out, which is not a surprise to me. I found the on screen menus rather sparse for explanation and far too assuming that the user understands all those technerd terms. Not meant to be derogatory as for most of my life I've been a tech nerd. Just not in the video games arena. The PS3 is no doubt a good product for those able to understand about video games but for me it just doesn't work.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Can Wii support BR? Not sure why we would want to use it for that, though as we already have a BR player. Just curious...