Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
What’s behind the wall?

Just upgraded to a 2018 3810MS and relocating all the electronic peripherals to the new unit from our 2016 352RL. The HC had an open cabinet behind the TV with plenty of 110 outlets and grometted holes between shelves to run wires. The new rig has a closed cabinet with the primary sound system and sound bars mounted. The TV is mounted to a wall just behind the TV and no access to what ever is behind the wall. Looks like there might be some unused space available to run wires etc. I mounted the Wally to this wall with two screws and some Velcro to keep it from bouncing off. There is only on pair of 110 outlets which were used for the TV and the sound bar so I hooked up a small power strip to handle more components.

Where has anybody else located the other components such as a blue ray or Apple TV? It could go in the cabinet above the TV, but holes will need to be drilled and again, need power. I’m really not wanting to poke holes in my new rig yet.

The other question I have is the outside TV in the slide. Is the Sat connection the same as the living room or the Bedroom? In the HC, the connection was in the basement and connected to the bedroom.

Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
"I mounted the Wally to this wall with two screws"...
What is a Wally?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
The Wally is the Dish receiver. Small and relatively flat can be mounted on a wall rather than setting on a shelf.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our 3720 I just drilled the holes and found more electric where I could.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
Any suggestions on the power? Did you access the space behind the wall? Might be a good place for a wall safe...
Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast Rusty View Post
The Wally is the Dish receiver. Small and relatively flat can be mounted on a wall rather than setting on a shelf.
Thanks for the education!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
VegasRose
Established Member

M.O.C. #21138
King Playmaker (Dish) house cabling issue!

2018 3120RL Satellite issues. I have a Dish Playmaker (King) and when I use the house cabling (at the convince center where water and valves are), the signal is degraded to the point where I can get it to work. I checked the cabling and I'm 99% sure it is related to the splitters along the way block the Hertz or Satellite range that is needed. When I go direct from the Playmaker to Wally, it works fine.

Any thoughts on this, and has anyone else tried this configuration?
VegasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our rig had a splitter right over where the water pump is. When I removed that splitter and wired direct my problem went away. In the old rig I also had to replace the connectors.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm pretty sure, from all of our experiences with the quality, or lack of, of all the things installed in these rigs, that the splitters that are installed are probably the low end in quality, plus, I have discovered many of the connections are poorly made and most in our rig were loose. I have read that splitters should be in the 900 Mhz to 1Ghz range or better, and have just the number of connections needed, no extras. We had to upgrade to the Dish Wally from the older VIP 211k boxes due to a power issue, and when doing the conversion, had to run HDMI cable from the box to the TV, and found this made a huge improvement in the quality of the picture. Another place where signal is lost is the coax connectors, which also can degrade signal, which I learned about when we still were in the S&B from our cable company tech. I may be worth the effort to replace as many of the connectors that can be accessed.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrose@mac.com View Post
2018 3120RL Satellite issues. I have a Dish Playmaker (King) and when I use the house cabling (at the convince center where water and valves are), the signal is degraded to the point where I can get it to work. I checked the cabling and I'm 99% sure it is related to the splitters along the way block the Hertz or Satellite range that is needed. When I go direct from the Playmaker to Wally, it works fine.

Any thoughts on this, and has anyone else tried this configuration?
I removed the splitter to get our dish to work.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Just upgraded to a 2018 3810MS and relocating all the electronic peripherals to the new unit from our 2016 352RL. The HC had an open cabinet behind the TV with plenty of 110 outlets and grometted holes between shelves to run wires. The new rig has a closed cabinet with the primary sound system and sound bars mounted. The TV is mounted to a wall just behind the TV and no access to what ever is behind the wall. Looks like there might be some unused space available to run wires etc. I mounted the Wally to this wall with two screws and some Velcro to keep it from bouncing off. There is only on pair of 110 outlets which were used for the TV and the sound bar so I hooked up a small power strip to handle more components.

Where has anybody else located the other components such as a blue ray or Apple TV? It could go in the cabinet above the TV, but holes will need to be drilled and again, need power. I’m really not wanting to poke holes in my new rig yet.

The other question I have is the outside TV in the slide. Is the Sat connection the same as the living room or the Bedroom? In the HC, the connection was in the basement and connected to the bedroom.
Did you mount the Wally on the back wall or one of the side walls? Did you mount it upside down or vice verse? Also, do you have any problem with the Wally receiving the signal with the TV in between it and the remote? I will have the same issues so your experience will be helpful. Thank you.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
The back of the Wally has a couple of slots for screw heads. I just put a couple of screws on the back wall behind the TV and hung it there. I put a small piece of Velcro at the bottom of the unit to keep it from bouncing during travel. Short cable to the Sat output and power to the plug. It ran fine and the remote is apparently RF so it worked well too. Everything hidden behind the TV and it travelled well there too. I'd take a photo for you but the rig is in storage at the moment. As always, the big concern is if the cabling from the convenience center to the entertainment center is sound. Mine is working so far. Wasn't so lucky on my HC Monte.

By the way, there isn't much behind the wall. You can access it by removing the fireplace. You can also place a sub woofer behind the fireplace if you choose to add one.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
I have the same problem with a Dish VIP. I have the coax running through the window to carry out. If I was to replace splitters where would I find them there must be several.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
I have a question - where does the other half of the splitter go? I thought there was a separate line to the BR and LR tv outlets.?????
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
The back of the Wally has a couple of slots for screw heads. I just put a couple of screws on the back wall behind the TV and hung it there. I put a small piece of Velcro at the bottom of the unit to keep it from bouncing during travel. Short cable to the Sat output and power to the plug. It ran fine and the remote is apparently RF so it worked well too. Everything hidden behind the TV and it travelled well there too. I'd take a photo for you but the rig is in storage at the moment. As always, the big concern is if the cabling from the convenience center to the entertainment center is sound. Mine is working so far. Wasn't so lucky on my HC Monte.

By the way, there isn't much behind the wall. You can access it by removing the fireplace. You can also place a sub woofer behind the fireplace if you choose to add one.
Good information. Thank you very much. As I'm sure you know, TV's and electronics should have good surge protection, so by adding that behind the TV will provide more power outlets as well.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
On my rig, other output of splitter goes to sat connection in the passthrough.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #17
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
I know I'm probably doing this the wrong way but not sure how to do a new thread and ask a new question. We are considering replacing the old bat wing antenna with a King jack HDTV antenna. Looks like it should be simple but not sure. Can it go in the same place the old one is? Is there anything needed other than the mounting bracket?

Any help would be appreciated!
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
VegasRose
Established Member

M.O.C. #21138
Hi Marsha (and Kirk)...Kent from the bank days! I'm assuming your talking about the roof mount antenna? I haven't replaced mine, however I thinking if it fits in place of the other one, I wouldn't see an issue with doing it. I use a tailgater (dish) for my primary TV, then the powered roof for bedroom (over the air signal) when I have get a signal. Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
Kent, wondered if you belonged to this great group! Yes, we have the old bat wing antennae in the bedroom for over the air signals. We have a tailgater also, but when we're just doing an overnight stop, we usually don't take it out. A while back, someone here on the forum spoke about replacing it with the new antenna and, if I remember it correctly, said it wasn't to tough. We're not to technically inclined so didn't want to start something we can't finish easily!

Hope to see you on the road sometime. We are going full time as of 5/1! Can't wait.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #20
VegasRose
Established Member

M.O.C. #21138
My guess is it shouldn't be hard at all. You may want to look how the current one attaches to see if you can reuse the mechanical connections while added the new antenna to it (knowing you can rotate it from inside the bedroom). Full time sounds awesome, and I'm not there yet, but will be on out and about. Give me an internet connection, and I can still work from anywhere, so more flexible then ever on my side! Stay in touch.....