Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Haven"t seen this one before

Spent a few days in a local COE park. Night before last as it was nearing time for bed, I went to wash a glass in the kitchen sink. Opened hot water faucet. Nothing. No flow at all. Tried cold and there was flow, but low pressure. Strange. Good hot water flow washing supper dishes earlier. Hmmm? Park water problem? Water heater check valve maybe? Gonna make for a cold shower. But didn't worry about it right away.

Later I went into the bathroom and could hear water flowing. A lot. Went outside and water was gushing from under the trailer, down the pad, across the street. and off the other side. Opened the convenience center door and water was spraying with force. Turned off water and here is what I found. Hot water low point drain valve cracked around cap and insides had blown out and full water flow out of it. A hasty repair using large zip ties held it to minimal leak. Otherwise we would have been without water until next day as it was about 10 PM. Fortunately sites are 100-150' apart so I did not flood any else's site.

Don't remember anyone ever posting about such a valve fail before. Now to find a replacement. Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware store, and local small RV parts place did not have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve fail 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1636   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve fail 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1637  

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just get a 1/2" Sharkbite shutoff valve or equilalent brand ... cut the ends of your 1/2" water line square and push it on. Or try another RV dealer. I always carry 1/2" Sharkbite union and plug fittings along for this very reason.
Or ... just order one like you have online. https://www.amazon.com/RV-Fresh-Plum.../dp/B01F18KPIM
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sharkbites available at any Lowe’s or Home Depot in multiple configurations.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Replacing with same valve is first choice. Otherwise I will have to open up the wall where the pipe comes out. Pipe is expanded on the end where it was pressed onto the valve nipple and would not fit in a Sharkbite. And not enough length to cut it off to fit a Sharkbite. Would have to run new pipe. Going to replace both while I am at it.

The internal part has a cap that screws onto the valve body. The knurled ring on the body was part of the other section before it split. Guess over 11 years fatigue cause the screw on cap to split. Good reason to turn the water off if leaving your camp site for very long.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
No matter what your preferred flavor of fittings is flare or push-loc... it's good practice to carry a length of line, couple of unions, caps, maybe even a 90 degree elbow and tee. If a plastic line splits or a fitting gives it up ... you can on the spot make the repair or cap it off till you get the desired parts. I've had similar luck with water line fittings and RV dealers ... you'd think they would carry quite a selection ... many don't. I guess it's all about inventory numbers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote