Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Double Pain windows?

No, the title is not a typo. On our new Big Sky with double-pane windows the inner and outer panes are seperating. The mechanism that opens the window is attached to the inner pane and the outer pane engages the outer windows seals. This sounds good in practice, but on two windows the panes are seperating. Is this a defect in the adhesive or is the closing mechanism putting too much stress on the outer pane causing the two panes to seperate? Any thoughts on the best way to fix the issue other than going back to the dealer?

kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
All 3 RVs I had with double pane windows had problems. I am happy without them, I never noticed much difference, R factor of 2 is not very impressive
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Sounds like separation due to adhesive issues, ie, window fault that needs to be addressed with customer service at keystone. I do remember hearing of others where window fell off on another brand using same window style. Good luck. John
Old 06-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Keystone must waste a lot of time fixing this myriad of stuff and you would think it comes out of the bottom line. Seems like it would be more profitable to get it right the first time.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since your unit is a 2015, it is still under warranty so I would call customer service at Keystone and start the process and they will give you the process of getting this problem fixed. They will more than likely send you to your dealer that you purchased your Big Sky at to have it fixed but if that is not possible they will send you to someone that can repair or replace those windows.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I will have to check mine. Having dual pane windows was a must for me compared to the extra cost over single pane. I would not buy any units off the lot because of that, and a few other options that I wanted. Special order worked out for the most part for us. I have had way better success keeping RV's cool in hot weather with dual pane or storm windrows.
By the way, KOLCB "windows are rated in U values not R values". If a dual pane is two I wonder what a single pane is rated at? Maybe that is why so many people use reflective insulator panels in the single pane windows in high heat areas.
Happy camping and I hope you are able to resolve your issues.

Tom Marty

Old 07-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I never considered dual pane windows when we purchased our 2014 Montana. When I initially found out they could be an option I was tempted. However as soon as I discovered that they were simply two pieces of glass with no argon gas between, or for that matter not a truly sealed unit, I passed. If they offered true Energy Star Certified sealed window units for RV's I would be the first in line to order them.

If you purchased them for energy savings then IMHO you spent your money in the wrong place. I would suspect that roll down window awnings on the outside of a Montana would allow your air to work more efficient. If you purchased them to reduce outside noise then you could get some slight benefit I guess.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Might want to check the U factor on a RV dual pane window.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
are your 'double' pane windows the dark windows? I don't think you have real double pane windows, rather, Montana just glues a dark window on the inner window. glue. but get it to the dealer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We had double paned windows in a motor home a couple of years ago. Half of them were compromised. Also, they seemed to provide more sound insulation than warm/cool insulation. I would not have them again.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I had dual pane windows on a Vangard that were actually just two separate unsealed pieces of glass. Actually listed as storm windows and they were very helpful in 100 degree plus heat of Southen California and Las Vegas. The wife's aunt and uncle had single pane and one AC and could not keep the their fifthwheels cool enough to leave their pets. Our stayed quite cool. Not as good as a triple pane or a high effiency dual pane with low E etc but our unit with one AC did way better than theirs.
When we were trying to purchase our new unit we were in a Mountaineer with single pane glass facing the afternoon sun with the blind open. Extremely hot, just about burn you when you touched the window and the sales man who did not have any dual pane was just telling us their was no difference. I guess for the small amount that I had to pay for the dual pane I am glad I got them. I have heard more people tell me they wish they had dual pane windows when they had single pane than the other way around.
That is what is great everyone can pick what works best for them. My house has extremely high R value in the attic and walls. I also have fifty seven high quality Millgard windows that take away a lot of my effiency. I wanted the triple pane like the Canaidians use but could not afford them. Oh well that is why I have plent of HVAC for my home.

TomMarty
Old 07-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did the home work and actually called the vendor that makes the windows to get the specs as they are hard to find. We made our decision based on the specs of the RV dual pane windows. We also did some experiments on actual heat transfer single pane VS dual pane windows by measuring the temp on both sides of a window single VS dual. It was very interesting.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Thanks for the feedback.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote