Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Niagra Falls

We are also planning a trip to Niagra Falls but not until next year. From the Chicagoland area it looks like I90 is the most direct route. Are there any other options? Also, are there any advantages/disadvantages staying on the U.S or Canadian side?

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Even tho we're on the US side, we like the Canadian side better. If you could get across the Lake, the shortest route would be across the lake, then Michigan, then into Canada, not very fesable tho. We generally stayed at the KOA on Lundy Lane in Niagara Falls. Canada.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
From the US side looking over to Canada, it looks very metropolitan. From Canada to US, very rural. We decided to get a motel room rather than a camp spot.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We enjoyed a stay at Fifty Point Conservation Area which was recommended to us by another former Montana owner, whom we met through this forum, OntMont. This is definitely where I would go again for a visit to Niagara Falls. This park is in Ontario on the south shore of Lake Ontario, perhaps 30 or 40 miles from Niagara Falls--near enough and far enough to be a more pleasant place to stay.

We came in through Michigan (Port Huron to Sarnia) and came out through Niagara Falls, New York, where we spent one day to visit the American side of the Falls.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I too would stay at Fifty Point Con. area in Canada. It is a beautiful campground and not that far from Niagra Falls.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I90 is probably your best bet, no worry about low bridges or oncoming traffic. Just watch getting into Canada the peace bridge lanes could be very busy and the booths tight. Some days you could have a two hour wait to cross. There is a nice campground about 1/2 hour east of buffalo, right now I am in a CRS moment for the name,but have stayed there in the past.they also have traffic cams at the bridges so you can see what is going on. we live about an hour south of the bridges along lake erie, if there is anything I can help you with,please email me
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
The view from the Canadian side is far better than the American. You have tremendous views of both American and the Canadian falls, and the trip downstream along the gorge is far more doable on the north side. You miss most of the grandeur if you only go to the American falls. IMNSHO!!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Fuel prices in Canada may convince you to use the American route.

Been there, done that.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Rainer, we were thinking the same thing. I90 is mostly toll road across so I'm not sure which is the most cost effective.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
During 2011 over Labor Day Holiday we enjoyed our stay at the KOA on Grand Island (US side) and did tour buses that picked up up at the KOA for both US and Canada tours making parking a no cost/none issue. We recommend seeing and doing both sides and the day trip tours were just the ticket for us with good drivers and extensive history narratives. Also, we did a third day trip into Canada with truck only for sight-seeing at Niagara On The Lakes along with a fourth day trip to Erie Canal including a boat trip through the locks. I recommend getting reservations soon where ever you decide to stay.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
What perfect timing for this topic! Just yesterday, Gail and I was talking about this because, she has mentioned often that she has never seen these falls and would like to go. I have seen them before back when I was in high school. In the summer of 1968, 35 of us on Schwinn 10 speed bikes left Canton, OH and rode up there via Erie, PA and Syracuse, NY. After the falls, we rode across Ontario and over to Sarnia. Down thru Flint, MI to Fort Wayne, IN and back across to Canton. Did 1200 miles in 10 days! Talk about "saddle sores"........oh, ya!!! But, back then, if I turned side-ways, you couldn't see me and I might have weighed 90 pounds soakin' wet!!

I'll be watching this topic close for more hints and ideas, for sure.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We did a big trip from Texas to the NE and Canada in 2011. Our stop at Niagara Falls was in July and we stayed at the Branches of Niagara Campground. We liked the location and the park had nice spaces. Only draw back was only a few washing machines and dryers.
We took two GreyLine tours--one on the US side only and another that crossed into Canada for a night time view. Both picked us up at the park and dropped up back there. Also on our own we visit Fr. Niagara on the US side--great place to spend some time. Another location was Lockport, NY, to see the Erie Canal also the Tiffany windows in a local church. On the way back from Lockport we filled up on diesel at the local Indian Reservations--saved about 30 cents a gallon. Any questions, send a message or email.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote