Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Was that You???
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
US-89 AZ Near Kenab

Ah! I couldn't resist. Here I was in a BIG old SOB, Granite in color (Black) pulling a car and I saw this nice Montana coming toward us. I flashed twice and waved. Must have surprised you, hee hee!

p.s., was it ever windy???

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A little off topic but your post reminded me to ask about the windy conditions and contribute to a family discussion. In your opinion and if you had no choice, is it easier to drive in these conditions with a Class A and a "toad" or a TV with a 5er? I've always wondered that the CLASS A might be better because while it's just as high, it's heavier. I realize in any case any high profile in enough wind is a workout trying to keep it on a true course, and if the wind is strong enough it's recommended to pull off or don't even try it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Art,
We had to deleay our trip by a day because of predicted gusts to 60 mph in Kirtland, NM. The delay worked but the winds were 25-30 mph on our trip west. When in Utah at the Zion West RV park, one of the residents stated that it was the worse winds they have ever had. We were there for 3 nights and winds for the first two were at about 40 mph. Not good traveling weather in an RV.

Fully loaded I'm at 27,000+ a few pounds, With TOAD I'm at 32,000 +/- a few, I'm a foot lower than a Montana because I have basement AC, so my height is 12' 4" versus you 13' 5" with AC's. I pulled a Monty with a CC, LB, F350 King ranch and lost an awning with wind gusts to 45 mph.

With the Class A when wind comes into the side, it's sway, then back in control. With the Monty it was sway, sway, and maybe sway then back in control. Sort of the nature of the beast when a trailer sways. Lord help the TT's without anti-sway bar.

If it's steady and strong I would also advise to pull off, and preferably behind a building blocking the wind.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Ah! I couldn't resist. Here I was in a BIG old SOB, Granite in color (Black) pulling a car and I saw this nice Montana coming toward us. I flashed twice and waved. Must have surprised you, hee hee!

p.s., was it ever windy???
Wasn't us that day, but we were in Moab for the two days of big blow. Wow! Left Moab and spent 4 days at Kodachrome Basin SP, near Bryce Canyon NP. Pulled up stakes today and landed at Circus Circus KOA in Vegas. 109 degrees today!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote