Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
Furnance questions

Finally got our 2006 3500rl delivered.Set the fifth wheel up and hooked everything up. The furnance is acting weird it will run and start to heat up the monty and when it reaches temp it stays running for over 2 hours blowing cold air. Tanks are full so it is not out of propane. they only way to get it to heat again is turn off of the duo-therm comfort zone thermnostat and turn it back on. any one having problems with this thermostat??? This monty is still brand new it was a leftover ANY suggewstions please we are in North Dakota and it is getting cold

Thanks

adamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
adamsfamily,
If you have the five button Comfort Control Center thermostat you might need to reset the thermostat. Here is a System Reset sequence you should follow to do this:

1. Turn On/Off switch to Off position.
2. Simultaneously hold the MODE and ZONE switch push buttons while
turning the On/Off switch to ON. "FF" should appear in the
LCD display until the MODE and ZONE push buttons are released.

If the System Reset does not clear the problem, switch the On/Off switch to Off position, remove the thermostat from the wall and disconnect and reconnect the RJ11 telephone connector plugged into the back of the thermostat. You may need to perform a System Reset once the cable is plugged back in. If you see an "EF" dispayed in the LCD, perform the above system reset procedures.

If on the other hand you have the DuoTherm wireless remote thermostat, there is quite an extensive thread on this site about this thermostat failing. Many of the members here have called Keystone to have them replace it with the Comfort Control Center thermostat. The remote thermostat has been, for most members, a dismal failure. There are also some who have not had a problem with theirs. One member moved his remote thermostat to the rear wall of the living room slide out and that seemed to balance the temperature swings and reliability of the thermostat improved. If you have this wireless thermostat you might try relocating your thermostat before going too far.

I hope this helps..

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
8 degrees with the wind here in Gafton North Dakota this morning Thanks for the for the info going to try it before I go to work
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
Eagle Runner

The procedure worked and everything is fine. Many thank yous from North Dakota. Gotta love all the info here I sure have learned alot and hopefully will be able to give some soon
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
How do you get the 5 button thermostat off the wall? Can't get the plastic cover off or see any screws. I assume the cover has to come off to get to what is holding it on the wall. What is the procedure to get the cover off? TIA
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
There is a littl tab on the bottom. You dont need to pull it off to do the reset.A little force and it will pop off
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
adamsfamily,
Glad to hear the system reset worked for you. I suspect some work was performed on the AC/Furnace controller while your RV was on the dealer's lot and was never reset afterwards. Now you can stay warm and enjoy your Montana.

Dean,
as adamsfamily stated, you should not need to pull the thermostat to perform a system reset. This system reset does not reset the thermostat but rather resets the AC/Furnace controller. This controller is installed inside a metal box located under the grille cover of the main AC unit. Typically if a system reset is required an "EF" code is displayed on the LCD display, but not always. Being these Comfort Control Center Thermostats are digital, sometimes the thermostat itself can be left in an abnormal state. If the above system reset procedure does not solve the problem then pulling the thermostat and unplugging the wire connected to the back of the thermostat will clear out any abnoral state the thermostat was left in. This disconnect may require another system reset once the thermostat is plugged back in.

If you have to remove the thermostat, press in on the tab, located on the bottom center of the thermostat, while pulling the bottom of the thermostat down and away from the wall to release it from it's base plate. Be extra careful not to let the cable fall back into the wall when you disconnect it from the thermostat otherwise you will have to go fishing for it.

This may be a good time to install some insulating material between the thermostat and the wall. If your's is like mine, there is a large hole in the wall behind that thermostat where the wire was fished through. I found a cool draft coming from within the wall that affected the thermostat, causing it to unnecessarily call for heat. I used one of those foam envelopes that protected a part I had sent to me. I cut it to the size of the thermostat base plate. I only cut a small slit in the foam, enough to fish the wire through and secured the thermostat base plate to the wall with the foam insulating material between it and the wall. The material was thin enough so it doesn't show and yet dense enough to stop the cool draft inside that wall cavity from hitting the thermostat. It really helped reduce the furnace run times and now maintains a more stable temperature in the RV. Prior to doing this the furnace seemed to run all the time.

Good Luck!

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
Eagle Runnner

Your right there is a large hole back there in mine also but I was so concerned about keeping in running I didnt even think about it. Thanks for the tip I will insulate it tonite
I also have learned from the Rv Tech that there is only three things basically that can go wrong with the furnance 8535 model that I have Sail switch--- limit switch---computer board. I bought the sail switch and limit switch for under $30 for both just to have on hand in these cold temps. Seems like good insurance. That just leaves the board at around $140
Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Turns out an external(two button) reset seems to have settled down our furnace. Thanks for the help.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote