Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bed room AC revisited

In a earlier thread I was inquiring about putting a second AC in the bed room.I wasn`t sure if my Montana was wired for it.I went up to my storage place today and took a look at the breaker panel.Theirs a sticker that says"20 amp second AC"No breaker were the sticker was,but their was a slot for one.I took off the inside cover of the fantastic fan and didn`t see any conjuction box.It could have been their,but with all the insulation I didn`t see it.Kind of hard to see around their.So I think its a 50/50 chance I am wired.

I`m 99 percent sure I want to go with another AC unit in the bedroom.I just know if its already wired the price would be a lot cheaper then if its not wired.

John

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

Just not sure if they pre-wired them in 2001 or not. If you have a 30A receptacle on the Monty rather than a 50A, I can assure you it was not prewired.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

John,

Just not sure if they pre-wired them in 2001 or not. If you have a 30A receptacle on the Monty rather than a 50A, I can assure you it was not prewired.

Brad

I do have the 50 amp receptacle on mine.I get most of my work done at my local Camping world store.They have a great service department their.I`ll take a trip down their and explain my situation,get some prices on AC`s.Also find out the difference in price for pre-wired or not.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

That was the difference on our 2003. The Dealer encouraged us to get the 2nd AC prewire because it then gave you 50A instead of 30A. However ours had a clearly visible electrical box next to the front vent that had a cover plate that you could see on the ceiling.

Either way, it is actually not to tough to get the wiring up there for it.

Enjoy it.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
John
The 2001 Montana has 2 breakers in the panel if you have eiher the washer/dryer hookup or the 2nd air.
One is a 30 amp for everything in the unit except w/d and 2nd air and the 20 amp is for the recept. in the W/D closet and the second air.
If you don't have one or the other you will only have the 30 amp.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Wayne

Not really sure what your saying.I do have a washer/dryer in my rig.Are you saying that since I already have the washer/dryer that i won`t be able to get a 2nd AC in the bed room?????

I heard some where maybe here that even though i was a BIG 50 amp cord that my unit isn`t a true 50 amp Montana.

Your right on the breakers in as their is a 30 amp and 20 amp linked together.

John
Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

You are correct - the older units were a 30A + 20A. (Actually some were just 30A if you didn't get the 2nd AC prewire option). The new units are 50A + 50A.

However, you can still install a second AC. You will have to share the breaker with the washer and dryer and will have to run either the AC or washer/dryer. You can install a double pole single through (DPST) switch to prevent running both at once. They used to do this all the time from the factory. Our prior TT had a switch to select either microwave or hot water tank.