Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
skyviewman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6581
Fantastic fan for shower

When we ordered our 3400 we had them put a fantastic fan in the kitchen. After a couple of short trips we now realize we should have had one installed just outside the shower as well. I'm sure somone has done this and I would like to know what is the easiest way to get power to the unit and the best way to route the wire. the 3400 is wired for a 2nd a/c. Could I take power from there and and fish the wire from that box which is in the ceiling and isn't presently used for anything. Also where to install the control unit.
thanks

skyviewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I recently installed a fan in the kitchen. The 12v power was only available at the shower. I had to remove the shower dome to get at the wires and route them over the AC duct to the vent by the shower then to the kitchen. Mine had a remote so there was no problem with locating the control. The ones without the remote have the controls at the vent I think.

The AC uses 120v although there may be 12v available there.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Skip,

You should be able to easily get 12V power from the bathroom fan over to the hall. Pull the trim on the bathroom fan and you will see the wiring to the 12v motor as well as access across the roof trusses.

We actually installed a fantastic fan in the bathroom. It is a relatively easy job once you get all the old exterior putty off.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Brad;

I didn't even think about the bathroom fan until now. I was fighting the problem of getting from the kitchen to unswitched 12v in the main wiring harness.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We installed a MaxAir fan by the shower. Actually, CW installed it and got the 12V power from the bath fan as Brad mentioned. What I like about the MaxAir is that it can stay open in the rain. We can also reach it easily for manual operation and it cools down the bedroom if I close the partition door.
Mariana
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We also put a thermo controlled Turbo-Max fan at the bathroom. CW installed it and took the power from the light outside the shower/bathroom.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had a Shur-Flo Platinum installed in the bath hall and CW originally tied into the bathroom light switch, meaning you had to turn on the light switch to operate the fan. I had them rewire it before the light switch so it is on its own power. It also has a remote that is mounted next to the slide switches and other light switches in the hall.....Works great....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had a Shur-Flo Platinum installed in the bath hall and CW originally tied into the bathroom light switch, meaning you had to turn on the light switch to operate the fan. I had them rewire it before the light switch so it is on its own power. It also has a remote that is mounted next to the slide switches and other light switches in the hall.....Works great....
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333