Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Place Mats and Leveling/Stablizers...

Every time I set up on grass or gravel I found the blocks for the front jacks and the rear stabilizers as well as the wood under the tires to be filthy when breaking down. I'd end up scraping or scrubbing the mud/gravel off of the bottom sides. I once used the plastic Wal*Mart bags under the blockage but if there was the least bit of a breeze the bags blew away before I could set the blocks on them.
I found the perfect solution. Dinner Table Placemats
When we were going through my father-in-laws estate I found about 2 dozen plastic place mats and my brain started working. I use the full size mats under the front jack blockage as well as the blockage under the tires. I cut the mat in half If I am only using the rear satbilizers without blockage.
When we pull out we merely deposit the used mats in the trash bag or the CGs dumpster.
Replacement dinner mats can be found at many a yard or gargage sale for next to nothing in cost. I have even found them in the yard/garage sales Freebie box.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Like it,blocks too
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
How about spraying then with bug repellent to keep ands and other critters from crawling up the legs? Something to think about.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mickey,
That's a given. Even before the place mats came into the picture. Especially in Florida. I spray everything that touches the ground from the jacks and tires to the sewer hose, electrical cable, freshwater hose, cable TV line, bi-pod and anything else that would give ants a hiway into the Monty.

The blocks are an absolute necessity when stabilizing the rig. The less leg showing the less movement. Normally I would also have the rear stabilizers blocked as well but we are only here a few days so I didn't bother.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Glenn,

Great idea, but lots of parks out west require a 12" block to preserve their blacktop surface.

I used OSD 3/8" plywood cut into 12" square pieces, glued and screwed them together in opposite directions to the grain. Handles were installed on the sides, so the cleaning was easy, just scrape one against the other. I like the handles 'cause I don't care to handle the bugspray stuff.

The placemats solve a dirty problem, thanks for the solution.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I don't eat bacon,but for those who do,it has that heavy plastic in every pak you could use for the same thing. Maybe not as big but in a pinch they will work. They also make good mini cutting boards.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote