Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Generation Xers

I was reading an article in the Good Sam magazine talking about the increase of "Generation Xers" who own RV's over the past __ years.

I didn't even know what a generation xer was or that I was one of them until I read this article. Now that I know I am one of them I am wondering how many other "Gen X's" are on here. The I think the birth years are between 1960-1075 give or take a couple of years. Do we even come close to making up 15% of this group?

Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Labels, Labels, Labels............! Yeah, I'm a "Generation Xer" but whatever! :-) 15%? I think more like 10%, if that.
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I don't think so. Our kids do though. LOL
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
So it seems that I am always a lurker on this board ( have been for 7 months ), but I'll finally chime in and let others know that we too are labeled as "gen Xers". I thought the article was interesting although I've never been one for labels either.

Marisol
marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Wuz wondering when you folks would start coming out of the closet.. lol
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
"Generation X is a term used to describe the cohort of people born following the post-Second World War baby boom, usually in North America. The exact demographic boundaries of Generation X are not well defined: people born between 1963 and 1978 are generally considered "Generation X," while others use the term to describe anyone who was in their twenties some time during the 1990s. [1] According to Neil Howe and William Strauss, Generation X includes anyone born from 1961 to 1981. The term is used in demography, the social sciences, and marketing, though it is most often used in popular culture. The generation's influence over pop culture began in the 1980s and may have peaked in the 1990s.

One of the defining factors of Generation X is the transitions resulting from the decline of colonial imperialism to the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War. The transition between colonialism and globalization is thought to separate the Baby Boomers from the Baby Busters, a sub-generation of Generation X made up of the earliest born members."

"Generation Y is a term designating a cohort of people born immediately after "Generation X" and is only one of several terms used to describe roughly the same group of people. There is however no consensus as to the exact range of birth years that constitutes "Generation Y", nor whether this term is specific to North America, the Anglophone world, or people worldwide. The only consensus, by way of its relation to the term "Generation X," is that those born in Generation Y must follow Generation X. Many published academic, demographic, business, and governmental sources have used their own specific parameters for who constitutes Generation Y, but there is by no means one accepted definition. The use of the term is also controversial and synonyms are often used in discourse or in published works.

As the term "Generation X" was coined primarily to describe the post Baby Boomer generation in the United States and Canada, some people use "Generation Y" only to refer to Americans, Canadians, and other Anglophone people who were born after Generation X. Others have suggested that such regional restrictions of use are unnecessary in the ever globalizing world.

As generations are defined not by formal process, but rather by demographers, the press and media, popular culture, market researchers, and by members of the generation themselves, there is no precise consensus as to which birth years constitute Generation Y. For instance, while the periodical American Demographics typically uses 1976 to demarcate the start of Generation Y, the demographers Howe and Strauss have consistently used "the High School class of 2000", or those born in 1982 as their demarcation. While many possible years are used as the endpoint of Generation Y, the term is almost never applied to current infants, who are part of a possibly as yet unnamed generation. Due to the flexible nature of such demographic terms, two people of the same birth year can identify as either Generation X, Y, or something that follows Y, such as the New Silent Generation and neither is wrong.

Because the term Generation Y suggests "following Generation X", and because the term Generation X was originally coined as a pejorative term, use of the term Generation Y is controversial. Numerous terms (see below) have been coined as alternatives to Generation Y, or to describe subjects of the cohort. "Millennials" is a very commonly used alternative by the popular press in the United States.

If the years 1978-2000 are used, as is common in market research, then the size of Generation Y in the United States is approximately 76 million"

I guess by some standards I am of Generation X and others I am Generation Y. I think I will just stick with "fluffy".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dang, I must be a generation D or E or somethingorother.....lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
wow montana sky, for a minute there after reading your reply...I was having flash backs of social studies class many years ago....let's just say that didn't go to good! LOL

Very nice reply though.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for the great explanation of which generation someone might belong to at any given time at any given place. I am crystal clear on this now...................I think. LOL
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You made that up, right, Dave? Just kidding, of course. Nice explanation.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thanks Dave, that was very informative, but now I am starting to have an identity crisis. I don't know if I am a Baby Boomer, a Baby Buster, or just a baby . So much to ponder................
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #12
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I must be T, U, V, or a Wer generation... I thought there was something wrong here somewhere. Just could never figure it out. Now I'm straight. Thanks....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Would you mind repeating that Dave? I was taking notes as lost you. No just kidding, you are right one but we are just now starting to do some research on geneations and their application to the workplace. We are going to be incorporating it into our leadership education courses. We are studing the work habits and what has influenced them to behave in different situations. It is quite interesting I think.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Guess I don't have a label except "old". I'm not an X or Y (my children are). I'm not a Baby Boomer because I was already here during WWII. So for others out there with no label shall we make one up for us? Good report, Dave, but it was a little deep with only one cup of coffee! LOL
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
More information than I needed, I can't remember being that young..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #16
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
We are Gen X'ers. We know this as our ipods are over 50% 80's music!!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
We're generation Xers - did you ever read the book Generation X? Quite entertaining. Our Ipods have mostly great 80's music too!Are we men? We are Devo!
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phil,
I think you will find this topic fascinating... There is so much to learn about us Generation Y'ers...

Sue,
Sorry, next time I will forewarn before posting. That was just the tip of the ice burg....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
Plus one, err two that is. We are X'ers also.
Mike-n-Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #20
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Hey Sue,whats an ipod? I got 78's, 45's,and an 8 track.iped and ipooped but hadn't ipod yet.hehehehehe.
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote