Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Diesel Fuel Conditioner

Well here it comes again, back to the ULSD fuel debate.

I was at the Chevy shop today having a balance check done on my injectors and brought up the new ULSD fuel to the 2 diesel mechanics. I wanted to know what GM's stand was. At the moment GM is "Recommending" using a Diesel Fuel Conditioner until the effects of the new fuel can be determined. The cost of this is $8 a bottle. Buying a case brings the price down to $6 a bottle. I figured I would give the conditioner a try as I already know my truck does not like the new ULSD fuel. It does not seem to matter who you talk to or where they work. They all have a different answer. I figured it was cheaper to try a case of this than buying a new diesel motor or truck.

"Gm fuel conditioner is a concentrated product formulated to increase centane rating 2-6 numbers, resulting in reduced engine knock, improved low temperature starting, smoother idling, shortened warm-up time and reduced emissions. Remove fuel system deposits. Improve fuel economy. Provide excellent corrosion protection. Enhance fuel stability in storage. Provide exceptional fuel lubricity for reducing fuel pump and injector wear. Improve cold temperature flow and reduce cold temperature filter plugging."

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dave,

I use it too. Until things shake out, I will put in every tank that is ULSD.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've used Lucas Fuel Treatment for years. I've never had an injector problem or fuel problems. I usually buy it by the gallon at truck stops and use 3 oz/10 gal diesel fuel. See http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
GM is really not much help. I talked to two service managers on Tues in preparation for a long trip. Bottom line was they were not really sure about much of anything. Both were very vague about additives and made no recommendations, either way; neither knew the oil GM puts in at the factory; they did know what they use in their own shop (Rotella 15w40); and it did not give me much confidence when I told one I had the LBZ engine, he said, "Which one is that?"
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Montana Sky;

Sounds like Diesel Kleen, which I've used since the truck was new.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That stuff is pretty expensive.When you add that to the diesel fuel is that not like increaseing the price per gal of fuel.Makes a gal of diesel kind of expensive does it not???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Stanadyne. Pretty much universally recognized as top notch in the diesel arena. Just bought 12 bottles @ CW, $3.96 per. 1 16oz. bottle treats 60 gallons fuel.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Montana Sky how many gallons will that 6.00 bottle treat? Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
BigAl52,
30 gallons per 11oz bottle.

Rich,
Your right adds $6 per tank. Not happy, but still cheaper than buying a big block V-8 truck to tow all the trailers I have.

Clyde n Deb,
I have a call into GM about approval for Stanadyne. Had a few other folks recommend it as well.

Skip,
Where do you pick up Diesel Kleen??

Bert,
I got the same run around from dealerships, truck stops, fuel depots and so on... Still looking for answers.

The new ULSD fuel is not causing a problem with injectors, it is a lubrication issue. Changing the fuel filter every 10,000 miles with proper filters will help keep injectors clean. We have been running the LSD fuel (500ppm) for many years now, it is the new fuel that is causing the concern. I had the balance checked on my injectors as a precaution more than anything else. GM has a 100,000 mile warranty on them and I am coming up on 68,000 miles. Replacing all 8 of them would cost in the ball park of $6,000, would rather have GM cover that bill than me. Dealership charged me $30 to check balance and the rest of the fuel system as well as checking the lifters. I thought I heard a slight knock, probably louder now that I am running the new fuel again. Truck is running great, just something I wanted to do as a precaution.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Not much different on the blue oval side. My dealer recommends an additive as well. It's about the same $/bottle, but it treats 3 fill-ups in my 38 gallon tank. I buy it by the case and use it in every fill-up. I only got 12k on the truck so far and plan to replace the fuel filter here before winter. I am going to ask for it back or to have one of the techs cut it open and see what we find inside.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:06 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We saw no problems using the ULSD in our Schools busses.We do use a additive. I find a bottle on my seat about once a week.
We had given no thought about the added cost of additives, that all factors in to the cost of operation and a factor to consider when comparing Gas VS Diesel in the near future.The cost to operate gap is closing Gas VS Diesel although there are many other factors to consider in the advantages Gas VS diesel.Today ..Here..Gas 2.199 ULSD Diesel 2. 699. That 6.00 per tank in the short bed tank adds @ .20 cents per gal to the cost of fuel alone..We are always crunching the numbers for amaybe purchase of a 08 My diesel???
Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 AM   #12
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Montana Sky;

I've found Diesel Kleen at WM, and various farm stores. It's about $13-14 for a large bottle [96 oz] that treats up to 300 gals. I use approximately 4 oz/12 gal. which is the minimum recommended [I think].

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:46 AM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

Let us know what GM tells you. I'm so confused and my truck isn't even delivered yet.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Gee whiz, maybe I am missing something, I have never used an additive on my old Cumming and it just keeps on trucking along. I have talked to several mechanics and additive has never come up, am I missing something here. Of course I only have about 90,000 on it.

2001 Dodge 5.9
3400 RL
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Jim, it's the new ULSD mandated for Jan 1? 2007 that we are all concerned about. Lot's of people getting confused data at best from Ford/GM/Dodge...

Dave, I have been buying Diesel Kleen from Walmart.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I have been running the new fuel and haven't really had any problem, of course I only run it when nothing else is available... is this something to be concerned about?? I personally haven't seen anything on it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jim,
That is part of the problem, the new fuel is not going to show any effects (positive or negative) until many miles down the road. The main concern with the new fuel is what preventative maintenance steps do diesel owners need to take to keep our trucks running for many miles?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I find it interesting that the fuel companies and the manufactures wont give a exact answer to the effects of LSDF on our diesel engins old or new, then we will have ULSDF which is probably faze 2 the diesel fuels, to reduce all of the polution we are supose to be putting in the air from our diesels. the fuel companies love us all so much, that they recomend the aditive untill the see the results of the new fuel on our engins. where can I get some of the red stuff??
Old 11-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were advised at one of the Diesel seminars we attended for our school busses that (at that time) the refineries were not adding the lubricating additive to the new diesel fuel because of the cost of refining and the various jobbers/ supplies would add the lubricant. Since then we have been told..no the oil companies are adding the lubricant..so confusion runs rampant. As I stated I find a bottle of additive in my bus about once a week which we are told to add. I do not have a diesel Tv but if I did I would do the additive till I found out what the *&^%%# was going on.. for sure. Oh at our local camping group meeting last night this subject came up and all of the diesel owners are using the additive and they have all noted a decline in MPG with the new fuel?????
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #20
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have used Power Service for several years. My dealer runs about 100 Fuel Oil delivery trucks and he recommended it. Also most of the loggers around here use it in their trucks and in their skidders. We also use it in all our fire trucks. It costs about $15.00 a gallon and I use 8 oz for about 30 gallons. Works out to about $.06 per gallon. I have noticed no difference with the ULS fuel
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote