Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
General Tires ??

Had a most unusual mishap with the OEM General tires on my F250 Super duty. The left rear tire ply separated and before I could pull over the loose ply had beaten the wheel well to bits. Must be several thousand dollars damage. The tire was inflated properly and had 40K with lots of tread left.

Any one else had any bad luck with General Tires ??

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I gave up on General tires when I couldn't get more than 20K miles on them while towing! (back in my Chevrolet days). I went to Goodrich.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have no experience with General tires, but wanted to say sorry to hear about the damamge to your truck. I hope your body shop is able to get it fixed quickly...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Yes....I think I have seen the last of GENERAL....Hope we can get back on the road ASAP, as we have a THANKSGIVING TRIP planned---Oh well at least I was not pulling at the time...hate to have had the 5er behind me when the rubber went flying
Old 10-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That is scary RL! Shiver at the thought! I honestly didn't know Ford used Generals. My last Ford had Firestone, and the new one has Continentals of which I also know nothing about.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
RL, I'm no fan of General tires, or Continental either for that matter. I have, and still do sell both on ocasion, because they are less expensive than the bigger names. I can't tell you the tire failed because of the brand, as I have seen the same thing happen with the high end tires, just not nearly as often.
Had it ever been run flat for even a short distance?
Had it ever been overinflated, or overloaded?
Had it ever run underinflated for an extended length of time?
These are a few of the things that could have contributed to the tire failure. Did it go flat before it threw the tread, or was it still inflated?
You may be able to get some warranty from a General tire dealer if it can be determined to be defective.
My F250 came with Generals also, but like Brad, I had them used up within 25,000 miles, luckily still intact. If you have 40K, you did better than most.
Sorry for your misfortune, and I wish you luck.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm coming to you Lonnie when these Continentals wear out, which won't be long from the looks of them! I figure I'll head your way when they are half worn out, so I got enough tread to get to Texas .
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Anytime your ready, come on down Brad. Your always welcome aroud here.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #9
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Lonnie--

Thanks for the post...I watch my tire pressure very carefully ( after the FIRESTONE ISSUES and FORD ) I am lucky to have a shop on the FARM and a Air Compressor so it easy to check. Cannot remember any time where the tires on the truck were abused...

I have had not had this type of failure before. I was on a Interstate cruising at 65mph, I first noticed the vibration and thought I had a drive line issue, by the time I slowed down to pull off to the shoulder the tire had let loose, never did go flat as I drove home on the surface roads at 25mph, The damage to the truck is unbelievable.

Sure wished you were local as I replacing not only truck tires, but also all the GENERAL TIRES on our vehicles.

I have long been a fan of Michelins – what do you suggest for the F250 ??

Thanks to all - Rodney

Old 10-25-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
RL, Michelin is an excellent choice, they are more expensive initally but go so many more miles, they actually are the better value. I prefer the LTX M/S.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #11
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Thanks for the advise. The cost is nothing compared to the safety factor. Lesson well learned.

Now on to the MONTANA TIRES how are these tires working for folks ??
Old 10-25-2006, 03:59 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Brad,
Just replaced my Cont they had right at 36K on them and were to the point they were getting slick, should have changed them out before got that far.
Only one problem I have found around here is with this new tire size 275-70R-18 is only two folks make them. Continental and Goodyear, no fan of either one. Michelin I was told has not yet come out with one which is what I wanted. I wanted a near highway tread I can get since I don't off road in it, Cooper does not even have one out yet. So I wound back up with Cont. tires.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #13
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Gerneral and Continental tires are equipped on base model vechicles for a reason. You buy a Ford van with no goodies on it and you get Generals. Get the top-of-the-line trim package and you get Firestones.

How does the jingle go..."Sooner or later you'll dump Generals!"
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:30 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Broome101, unfortunately that is correct. Hopefully, in the not too distant future the other company's will get on the ball and start producing in this size. The vehicle mfgr's. sure threw a kink in the works when they went to these larger size wheels. Good for higher GVWR, and bigger brakes, but not good when it comes time for new tires.

On Edit - Another one of those engineer things .
Old 10-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #15
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
AS their slogan says "sooner or later you'll own Generals" BUT only once!!!
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 AM   #16
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

On Edit - Another one of those engineer things .
I never paid attention to the brand of tires sold on the Montana - was there a choice of brand offered? I just looked for the load range... Hmmmm....

You know Lonnie, we used to make rookies on our staff work on the jet before they could start on a project. We called it Blue-2, Blue being Air Force and 2 for that poor two stripe airman that had to contend with whatever the engineer designed. Made their eyes open up and place common access parts where they were easily reached.

Too bad not all firms do the same thing or dump handles would be more easier to reach in an RV and 50 amp power cords would be more tolerant to cold tepmperatures!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Broome!

I never even thought of that with these 18" wheels. Hopefully the selection will get better soon. I'm OK with Goodyear I guess but they sure are noisy!

Brad
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Steve, Montana's come with Mission ST Radials Load Range E now. I don't know what they had in the past other than some were LT and some were ST. There are a couple of lengthy threads on tires in the last couple of months, if you go there you will know how I feel about ST tires.
You guys were kinda harsh on the rookies weren't you? That's a good thing though, once you go " hands on " you have a better understanding of what the real world goes through on a daily basis.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #19
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Brad , I would go with Goodyear before Continental despite the noise. Some people though, have had good luck with the Continentals, and want them again. If they only knew.....
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #20
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I lost one General tire on our May trip. The tread just seperated from the tire and the belts seperated too. It was a general tire. Since then I have replaced all the tires on Monty. Damage estamated at $1000.00.

Good luck
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote