Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
How many use EGT and Boost gauges

I was wondering how many of you use EGT and Boost gauges on your rigs. Who installed them and approximate price to do so if not doing yourself. Do the Ford or Chevrolet dealerships have the capability or did you find a specialty shop? How important are they? I understand the EGT moniters heat in your turbo and you shouldn't shut your engine off before proper cool down on a long hard pull.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I use mine all the time when pulling a hill, I use it more than all the others, I never go past 1050 on the ETG and 22 lbs. boost.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I've wanted to add them to my truck. These are good instruments to have and Chevrolet should have them in their instrumentation package as standard equipment. Try these sites - www.fullsizechevy.com , www.gm-trucks.com , and www.dieselplace.com for some great tips on Chevy Diesel operations. You'll find many threads on instrumentation that look OEM.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ford did add boost and trans temp to the cluster, but no EGT. Are pyrometers still common?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the EGT and Turbo Boost gauge in my truck. My Chevy dealership where I bought the truck installed them for me. Cost was approx $400 for both.

In my opinion, I would not tow any heavy loads with a diesel without an EGT and Turbo Boost gauge. These will let you know of a small problem before it turns into something much larger.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #6
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I installed both an EGT and boost gauge on my Dodge. They are good tools to monitor the engine. On my last outing I noticed that I didn't have my normal amount of power. I could see that I had very little boost and my egts were higher. I stopped at the next rest area and found one of the hoses connecting the turbo to the intercooler had worked loose. Check out www.genosgarage.com for diesel stuff.Filters,gauges,accessories.A guy there named Andy seems knowledgeable and very helpful.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have the EGT and Turbo Boost gages on our truck. It came with the Edge chip package. I watch both gages carefully so not to exceed the limits of the turbo. I am like the other members, I think they should be an option that we can order from GM, Ford, and Dodge. Anyone towing the weight we tow should have them. They are just important as the engine temp, trans temp, and oil pressure gages.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I too installed my own boost gauge and pyrometer. It was not too hard but I did take my time. My Pyro is installed pre turbo, some use pre turbo and some use a post turbo method of monitoring egt. I think it is a good idea especially if you are going to tow heavy or in the mountains. Seems to me they should both be standard on all diesel engines.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:47 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I too installed my own boost and pyro guages. Got them from Jegs, a well known mail order company for car and truck parts. Summit is another source similar to Jegs. I installed my pyro sender pre-turbo as it is really not that hard and gives you a better idea of exhaust temperature. Find a spot, coat the drill bit with hard grease and drill, then tap using the same method. No worries about getting shavings in the exhaust manifold. Some leave the truck runing while doing this task. Some of the aftermarket exhaust systems have a preinstalled spud to put the sensor post-turbo if you want to go that route, but be aware you need to recalculate actual exhaust temperature. There is a few hundred degree drop when measuring after the turbo. The pillar mount console is also an easy installation right over your existing door pillar. The boost connection is as simple as cutting a plastic line already on your truck and installing a push-loc tee fitting, and running a plastic line to the guage. Buying these from a dealer is somewhat pricey in my opinion, but if they are the installers, then you probably need to buy from them. As others have stated, they are a very valuable in monitoring your engine especially if any mods have been done to it. I can't figure out why the big 3 don't have them standard in their diesel trucks along with the temp, oil, and ammeter guages.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I use them, have BD xMonitor installed.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had the Boost and EGT gage installed in RED last year. I wanted to see how hot the exhaust got pulling the hills. I also like it to ensure the turbo has cooled down to 400 before I shut off the engine. If I had automatic I would definitely have a temperature gage monitoring it too.

This year I added the BANKS exhaust and air intake and a week later I had time to hook up the electronics. I have not towed with it yet. I will see what the MPG is tomorrow when I fill the tank. Wednesday is 5 cents off day; take it where you can. The truck computer indicates about 2 mpg increase around town; I do know I am driving like there is an egg under my throttle foot so I do not "play" with the extra horses. I have keep a spread sheet from day one so it will tell the real truth.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think they are very important and watch those gauges closely. The Fords come with a boost gauge built into the dash. I had an EGT, Water Temp, and Trans Temp added on a pillar pod even though water temp and trans temp are also built into the dash. I paid around $700, installed (two years ago). I had them done by an aftermarket truck accessory store.

In case you wonder why we think EGT is so important to monitor... keep in mind that when that EGT gets too high, parts in the turbo start melting. The other reason is that shutting the engine off with EGT too high tends to cook the fuel, leaving an oily sludge. Monitoring EGT is all about longevity of the engine.

Pulling a big percentage hill with all this weight can cause EGT to climb to dangerous levels. As EGT approaches my personal limit normally all I have to do is back off the throttle about 1 to 2 mph and the temperature drops back to an acceptable level. Without the gauge I'd not know it was getting close to dangerous.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have piller gages so I have three of them. Yes the boost and EGT are the ones I look at most. EGT,every one has there own ideas. The best place is before the turbo. It will give you the temps faster then after the turbo. I have a chip for pulling and the boost will go to 25lbs and 1200-1300 temps. When getting up to 1300 I back off the pedal a little and it cools down. I have found out that the computer will back it off when the temps get to high ,so hard to burn down the turbo. I recommend highly that you get the gages.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use a boost pressure, exhaust temp, and transmission temp gauges. My instructions are to not let the exhaust temp exceed 1100 °F. I'd be a little concerned at 1200-1300 °F. Are talking about the same thing?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'd be happy just to have my factory gauges work! I just dropped it off this morning - Speedo quit working and the tach starts out at 4,000 rpm. When I drive the tachometer needle hits the turbo boost gauge .

I guess when I got those squared away I can start looking at additional gauges.

Steve, did you think to add a voltmeter or ammeter to your pillar? I notice we lost that in favor of the transmission temp.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
1100 is probly for post turbo and 1300 for pre turbo. Pre turbo exhaust is hotter. Pre turbo also reacts faster so you see the change faster. I have had both when I had a diesel.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I have 3 gauges in a pillar mount (EGT, Trans & boost). As others have said I would not tow without them. I have also added a "chip" and a 4" exhaust and still noticed that I could get up to 1400 EGT if I let it when pulling some of the mountains in Colorado. All the mechanics that I have talked to recommend that the EGT thermocouple be installed pre-turbo for a more accurate reading. I have also read that early the Ford transmission temp gauge is not a true gauge in that will only read 3 temps (cold, normal & too hot). I don't know about the later ones. I purchased the gauges from Geno's Garage (online) and installed them myself. Geno's supplied very good instructions, but I do not remember the cost. When I got my Monty is installed a larger transmission cooler and a larger transmission pan. I now am able to keep the transmission temperature at about 150 when pulling and think that the lower temperature will increse the life of the transmission.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #18
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
All three gauges (EGT, Trans & boost) were already there when I bought my truck. I did not know that much about diesel engines at the time but I am learning more. Glad to know the temps (especially the Exhaust Temp) when traveling uphill with the Monty .......Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #19
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Thank you for the comments.I will definately look into getting the EGT and boost installed. The Chevy comes with a good trans. temp gauge so I won't add that to the pod. Going to check with my dealersip where I bought first then some after market shops for price.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
1200 on the EGT gauge is fine for short periods,like pulling a hill or something like that. If I was going to run this temp all day then we need to do something to change it. This is from the FORD dealer that I got the truck from. I have a chip for towing and 4" exhaust, and the FORD AIS air filter. There is a diesel truck here[F350] that they use for pulling and run EGT at the port 2000 and no problems.Trans temps run pulling the 3475 between 150 and 180 with just the cooler and pan that it came with. I was told if the trans temps come up and the RPM comes up a little while traveling the same speed the trans is starting to go south. Yes by all means get the gauges and use them but watch where you are driving. Also check the other gauges also.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote