Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Air Conditioner Question

This morning here in Texas, the humidity was pretty high, and 74* at 6:30 am, so decided a good idea would be to turn the air conditioner on. (Yes, I am rubbing it in just a bit.)

What does the "Auto" fan control do? We have always used the HI, MED, and LOW settings.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Robbie, Yes in San Antonio, we turned on the stick house AC also! The low was 70 on Friday night--Yes that is the LOW TEMPERATURE. The weathermen were laughing about the "chill factor" which does not happen at these temps. The auto cycles the AC and the fan off and on when the inside temp as the gauge--when the inside temp is above the thermostat temp the AC & fan is on and when the temp is lower -- the AC & fan is off. Usually the fan runs at the low or medium setting.
On my second AC, it is all manually controlled--blows cold air regardless of the inside temp. It can make the bedroom on our 3475 really chilly!
Anyway--another good reason to visit Texas--glad you made it.

Tim and Susan
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Tim,

So, my understanding in what you said is that the "AUTO" works like a thermostat, and it controls the fan speed?...as opposed to setting the fan control manually...which also turn on and off depending on the temperature set at the control??

I'm not sure what the advantage of AUTO would be, but sure there is a good reason or it wouldn't be there.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, 74*, humidity is 56% (inside with air on) at 8:45 am.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have only used auto with no problems.That makes it work just like a stick house A/C.In fact it is on now. We did have condensation on the A/C one time but that was because we had forgot to provide proper ventilation, like leave a roof vent cracked or run the Fantastic vent on manual low.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
As you run the A/C unit it will remove moisture from the air as it removes the heat. When the temp in the space obtains the set point, the unit will stop the cooling/heat removal process. At this point the evaporator coil will have water/condensation on it, if you leave the fan running while the compressor is off you will be putting some of the moisture back into the space, thus defeating the purpose that you were trying to accomplish.. In the really hot and dry weather leaving the fan running may not be an issue. Yep it is warm and muggy here in the great state of Texas. Enjoy your stay.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I like the auto feature over our older HI/LO switch. It is especially nice when leaving the AC on while you are away, as it cycles the AC down when not needed and tends not to ice up as bad.

Our front AC is like Tim and Susans, all manual. The new Monty's are prewired to allow both ACs take advantage of the AUTO mode.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Richfaa, I have never had a vent or window cracked when running the air. Are we supposed to? Is it a high or low humidity thing?

Thanks Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackandh2o

Richfaa, I have never had a vent or window cracked when running the air. Are we supposed to? Is it a high or low humidity thing?

Thanks Ray
I'd like to know that too. Same here.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We did have condensation on the A/C one time but that was because we had forgot to provide proper ventilation, like leave a roof vent cracked or run the Fantastic vent on manual low.
You're AC is a 100% recirculation system (supply and return air all from inside), so ANY opening is a loss in effeciency. Leaving your fantastic fan on is the worse - as it is near the ceiling and probably exhausts nearly 75% of the cooled air.

Don't let the grille work on your AC shroud fool you, that is there to allow airflow across the condenser to release the absorbed heat, not for intake. There is no air flow connection between the outside and inside on your AC. All air is drawn into the center louver on the ceiling, heat is removed from the air as it passes through the coils, and cooled air is ejected back into the space through the ceiling vents at the same rate as it is drawn out.

The Monty furnace works the same way - 100% recirculation.

AC's also pull the moisture out of the air (de-humidification), so they cannot promote fogging of the windows. Fogging most likely was just a result of high humidity that could not be dehumidified by the AC.

Swamp coolers are a different story, as they are typically a "once-through" system meaning they draw 100% outside air and push it into your home. You have to ventilate a swamp cooler to create circulation. There are swamp coolers (evaporative) coolers available for RVs and small campers, but are not a factory option by Keystone.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I like the Auto feature. Once the set point is reached, everything shuts down. When the set point is exceeded,(for cooling) everything turns on.

Some people cannot stand the quiet, solitude that goes with the Auto feature. When it cuts off it is very, very quiet. I've gotten used to it.

The only time we have a window open is when using the dryer. We use the fan in the bathroom when taking a shower to remove moisture and turn it of shortly after we are finished. We use the fan in the kitchen both in the ceiling and the range vent when cooking, again to remove moisture. All other time it is closed up tight

We are in San Antonio at Braunig Lake RV Resort, I-37S. Put on shorts this morning as it was 71 degrees outside at 0700 hours. A little cold front has come through so it's down to 70 degrees now. Same temperature as inside where I'm sitting. Can't quite put the long pants away yet as another cold spell may come through and drop below 70 degrees. For me that's freezing.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have no condensation, our system circulates the air. However our system is ducted both front and rear. I think if you leave a vent or window open you will waste a lot of cool air. Maybe I'm wrong but I button up everything and leave nothing open. Humidiity has been very heavy since we returned to the Gulf Shores area. Windy today, reminds us of the RGV. But we did go to the beach yesterday and had a great walk. No we didn't go in the water, but some were in the water, but not us. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have only used auto with no problems.That makes it work just like a stick house A/C.In fact it is on now. We did have condensation on the A/C one time but that was because we had forgot to provide proper ventilation, like leave a roof vent cracked or run the Fantastic vent on manual low.
When we left the fantastic vent on low while using the air conditioner, we could not get the rig to cool!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We use the AC most of the time as we live in Texas and camp in our Montana in 19F and 104F, what around the temps will change in Texas. We crack the vent in the toilet area to vent out moisture from our showers, but never vent for our AC unit. The fans would vent out lots of cool air. I only use the Fantastic Fan and the bathroom vent if I need to get rid of humidity caused by cooking or taking a shower.

We had condensation on our windows when we were using our electric heaters in our RV. It was colder on the outside causing sweating on our windows on the inside. Not sure if the Dual windows stop this problem, as we don't have them.

Gosh, I wish there was a place that we could be about 75 to 80 degrees and not change temperatures..... oh my goodness that is St. Lucia. Do you think they have a campground?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, we use the auto setting. The fan turns on and off only when there's a need to cool the rig, per the thermostat. The only problem is we have to adjust tv volume when the fan goes on or off since the AC in our rig is in our living room. We, too, ran the AC the other day, here in Texas. But we run the furnace sometimes, too. And we had one really, really "unseasonably cold" night of 17. But today it was in the 60's and absolutely beautiful.

Email me where you are in Texas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote