Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Rear Cameras?

Does anybody use cameras on the back of their rig?

What kind of set up is recommended?

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Kevin, many of us use the cameras and screens sold by Tim@rvcams he is a good guy, an Rv'er and has good deals. I have a rear camera on my Monte and on my truck. I like color for the screen, and a wired system. I have heard wireless don't work well.
Good luck,
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 56-CHSN from www.rvcams.com. Many of us purchased there. Had it for over a year now and use it, as most do, as a rear view mirror. We would not be on the road without it. It is a super safety device.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Am looking at doing this also, how is the camera mounted on your installations of the 56-CHSN?? My other question is how does the hard wired system disconnect when you un-hitch. ?I assume that is the purpose of the extension with the din connectors installed near the hitch??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I mounted the camera on the back top of the monte and fed the cable into the cabinet and down the wall behind the curtain, so I could access the connection from the camera for service. I mounted a second camera on the truck, as I already had the screen. It just required another feed from the back bumper of the truck to the cab.
pictures of the camera and screen
and shrink wrap on connector for video feed
Old 01-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
Do you experience any problems with the camera mounting location due to road grime or spray in the vacuum area behind the rig. Also, on your connection, is that a bumper type connection?? I guess that type of installation could be mounted internally near the hitch much the same as the brake and power connection?? I am curious as to how others are managing the connect and disconnect process with the camera.
Bingo
Old 01-01-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Ozz installation is of course Ozzfessional.Since I am not handy mine is installed on the top rung of my ladder (06 3400) down the rail, under the camper, up into the right side propane tank through the top under the dresser along the wall board into the closet, down into the top of the hitch pin.Coil up the excess cable there when not in use. Camera in the lower ashtray of the 08 ford, route to the back, through the rear wall plug and into the bed. The quick disconnect is there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Rich,
I am starting to see some possibilities now. Of course I still have to do the previously posted electric mods this winter before I tackle the camera system. It has been offically added to the list. Now if I can just convince DW about the Pressure Pros. Ironically, the only thing Santa brought was a Weather Channel dual thermometer set since I have been using the one from the house and carrying it back and forth. There I go again, I will flag myself for being slightly off topic.
Bingo
Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The road grime has not been a problem. The connection I use is actually a type truckers use, heavy duty pin type, I'll get some pictures. The small pin type is really fragile, I have worn out two.
You know, I bought it from Tim, look on his web site, it will be there. The large coiled wire is Red.
I got the idea from my friend Dennis, Mudchief is the trail blazer on the heavy duty connections.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Kevin,

I purchased my camera and monitor on Ebay. Here is a link to my setup. I have some more pictures of the camera and monitor on my computer at home. We are traveling right now but I can post them when we get home at the end of the week.

OOPS here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre.../Rear_vue.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I have bookmarked the sites mentioned above.

fulltimerdreamer-

I am very interested in the rear view mirror monitor.....

I have seen this advertised. I am not understanding the images you get on it. Do you get only the images of the camera? What happens with the mirror when you are not towing? Can you explain how this works....Sorry if these question might be on the lame side....this is the wife asking question so I may show this to Kevin.

Kevin is interested in setting something up on the trailer and pickup. He does the manual labor I do the searching and asking the questiions....What a team! LOL

Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Denise,

The monitor clips over your existing rearview mirror. When the monitor is on it shows through a mirror (see-through smoked glass) that is part of the clip on monitor. I use two cameras with my system, one on the truck license plate and one on the camper. I use a wireless remote to switch between the two. When not towing, you can choose to not use the camera and the mirror works as a normal rearview mirror or you can turn on the camera and see the view from the camera.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote