Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
Underbed hitch

I just bought a 2007 Silverado 2500 HD, Crew cab, with the short bed.
I want to install a new hitch that has the rails under the bed so I can have a "clean bed" when not towing and am interested in any advice on what hitch to buy. I have a 3295 RK.

My last truck was a 2003 Duramax short-bed and the hitch was not a slider, was mounted about 1 and 1/2 inches behind the axle (dealer installed) and I never had any problems with cab clearance while turning; however, shouldn't the hitch be centered forward of the axle a couple of inches? If so, will I need a slider hitch?

Also, are there any advantages of going to a gooseneck? I have no other gooseneck requirements for pulling.

Appreciate any advice!

Glenn Herman
Las Cruces, NM

gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Glen, I have the Superglide 16k auto slider. When not towing, I remove from bed and have no rails if I don't want (my option to remove. All easily removed). I want the automatic slider so I spent the money. Others have their own opinions also.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We went with the REESE Signature series hitch with a slider. I had the 18K reese hitch installed in our 05 GMC. After over a year on the road, I have yet to use the slider with our Montana. But its there if I need it. I like the idea of having no bars in the bed. Reese also made an improvement with the new jaws in the hitch. I have no front/back movement with the new hitch. We had the reese 20K in our old truck. What an improvement. The Reese was cheaper than the superslide. Both are good.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I 2nd the Superglide suggestion. I have the hitch but went with the standard rails as I do not haul much in the bed. Here is a link. http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_16.htm

"The 16K SuperGlide is available with a choice of mounting systems - a traditional "fixed base rail in the bed system" utilizing Universal "L" Brackets - or, the "totally Removable Base Rail SuperRail system" utilizing vehicle specific Custom Mounting Brackets for stronger, safer & more stable towing platforms."
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have the Reese hitch and have never had to use the slider part in some three years. I do have a rolling cover that rolls back and forth over the hitch really slick as long as you remove the handle. I replace the bolt that holds the handle with a clevis pin and remove the handle as required.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
I love my gooseneck. B&W turnover ball, Coilbert adapter. Clean bed. Steve
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Reese Signature series hitch with a slider needs four 3" holes in the bed that rise near 3/8" above the bed when removed. I remove the head assembly then turn the four cams and with a little pry with a bar the hitch will rise out. I installed the hitch with a Friend in 5 hours. My trailer gives me 2100# in the bed and added 40# to the front axle, with there install instructions.

Heres a link to look at
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=SS5W

http://www.etrailer.com/instructions...30070&manuf=DT
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We have the SuperGlide with the rails that are removable. I've only taken it out once, it's rather heavy, but I like the flexibility. The SuperGlide hitch gives an awful lot of peace of mind when towing with a short box, well worth the $$$.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote