Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Extended Warranties.

Hi Everyone...I am a new member and I have a question and would appreciate any and all comments.
With my previous 5er's I have always purchased the Extended Warranties (EW) from the dealer that I purchased the 5er from as the cost was what I considered reasonable. However, this time, the premium is approx. double what I paid for my last EW on the 3 year old 5er I just sold.
Note, The EW is not from the same company, so that has to be taken into consideration also. My plan is to purchase a EW for this new 5er also, but most likely not from the company that the dealer is suggesting. Have any of you bought a EW from a company different from what the dealer was selling and if so, have you had any problems getting claims resolved because the EW is from a different insurance company? Have you had any additional expenses such as being charged for pro-rated hourly costs for being on the phone with the EW Insurance agents?
Again thanks for the feedback.
Cargary2

cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Good Sam
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming your unit is new ... you already have a 1 yr factory warranty. Dealers will most always push the EW upon purchase warning you it will be much higher if you get it later. They're not pushing the EW on you just out of the kindness of their hearts. They make money off the deal. Save your money for later ... you'll get an equally (good deal) once you start shopping about a year later. Others will chime in on their particular EW company.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
I would certainly check WholesaleWarranties. Stacy Tuers is quite knowledgable and beat out GS by a reasonable amount. I've heard nothing but good and they do have a AAA rating with the BBB.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Like everything else, read the fine print before you make a deal with anyone. It's all about what's covered and what's not and how much you want to pay. As previously stated, those selling the policy are all about getting their commission.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
We had an extended warranty from the dealer the first time around but have been with Good Sam since. The price was significantly less for the Good Sam policy.
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Gary, do your homework on finding more than one EW company first. As many here will attest to Good Sam is one to start with. I would also negotiate with your dealer on the price they are asking for the EW. Dealers make commissions on these items and they can and will give up part of that if you can convince or negotiate it. United States Warranty was one we had sometime back from Ohio. While it was sometime ago, I was able to have them reduce the total price. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Thanks everyone for the comments. I have had offers from Wholesale warranties and United Warranties for EW coverage and their price was considerable less than what the dealer was selling. I did tell the dealer that their offer was too high, so they suggested to raise the deductible from $100 to $250 or $500 to lower the cost, but even then then at higher deductible, it was still much higher than those other offers.
Again, have any of you purchased insurance not offered by the dealer at the time of purchase and then have the dealer actually bill you on claims, extra charges such as phone calls or for having adjusters on site discussing your claims. This would be billed at a pro rated hourly shop rate. It was mentioned to me that this would be necessary because they have a very good working relationship (20 years or so) with their current EW company and likely would have more issues with some other EW Co. settling claims and this was why the extra charges would likely be assessed. Have any of you ran into this scenario?
Thanks again.
cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Good Grief Charley Brown ... talk about pinching the customer. That's quite a power play the dealer is throwing at you. Again assuming you are buying new ... you already have a 1 yr warranty. I'd spend that time looking for another dealer because this one isn't worth a look in the rear view mirror as you drive off his lot.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are not really extended warranties they are "service contracts" that cover specific items. we have always had one and they served us well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have real good luck with the Good Sam ESP. I had an extended warranty on a motor home a few years ago, but unless I took it back to the dealer, it was almost worthless
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote