Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Generator battery charging

I am looking into getting a generator. Some seem to have DC output in addition to the 120 V outlets. What is best if you just want to charge the batteries? And if it is DC, how do you hook it to the batteries?
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The DC output on most small generators is not much, you would be better off using a good charger or connecting the generator to the trailer and letting the converter charge the batteries
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
And a good charger should have a multi-level charge scheme: bulk, absorption, float, and equalization (although not all charger manufacturers use those terms).
Don't use the generator dc output or a traditional car battery charger. They will cost you your batteries in the long (and sometimes short) run.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My portable generators have a 12v adapter/wire that connects to the 12v generator outlet for charging the battery and while the generator is running it trickle charges the batter with this adapter wire that you connect to the battery terminals.

If you are going to install the generator then it's best to do what 8.1al recommends that making the generator part of the power system of the rig, then the rig's converter will charge the battery while the generator is running. No fooling with wiring that way. It will just happen automatically.

Like firetrucker, I have not used this wire and only have it for other battery charging applications in an extreme emergency since I agree I don't think this is the best way to recharge batteries and I have so many other ways that are better.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Bob, I should have explained what I meant by a "good" charger
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have a Honda 2000 and just run it to supply our power while boondocking. While using it to supply the 110 to operate the Monty it is also charging our batteries. We've never had a problem getting them charged up during the day to run at night. We do carry a battery charger because you never know when you might need it. We've had to charge our truck battery as well as our handicap cart batteries using the battery charger. It is just a regular Sears auto charger. So far so good. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I recently bought a Yamaha 2KW generator and the manual stated that the 12 volt output should not be used to charge batteries since it is not well regulated.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote