Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Biker Chick

M.O.C. #10645
water leaks

My husband and I have been researching travel trailers for use in the near retirement future. I have fallen in love with the older Airstreams but have read about the many water leak problems. We have family with a Montana, have been in it and really love it also. With Montana's quality construction, are water leaks typical or rare? Finding the source can be difficult and water leaks lead to all types of other damage. What is your feeling on this. Any advice or experience in this will be appreciated. We are looking to purchase a Montana that is about 8-9 years old.

Thanks, Julie

Biker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Don't hear much about water leaks on the Montana, how ever, as an owner you should be diligent about checking the seams and around roof openings to be sure every thing is secure.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Julie, Our bedroom slide leaked right out of the factory. It was easy to find and fix with just a little caulk. I would think this would be the exception rather than the rule as it is the only leak we experienced in close to 4 years of use. Jim
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Just a comment, if you are considering your RV as a full-time home, you might consider the big difference in living space between most Montanas and Airstreams. Unless you have found an Airstream different from any I have seen, they do not have slides, which make a huuuuuge difference in living space...again, just a comment.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have had only one water pipe leak. It was in our kitchen area and the joint had just worked loose. It was easy to get to and to re-tighten. We did have a leak in our shower tub area but that turned out to be a defective faucet unit. Again relatively easy to get to and replace.

If you're talking about leaks in ceiling or slides we've only had one leak. It occurred at the Kerrville Rally this past March. A friend checked it out and found that some chalking had dried up and shrunk some. A re-application of that and all was well.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I say, the key thing to do is get or do a REAL good roof inspection. It has a rubber roof which handles water very well, but you need a good inspection for small tears and sealing around all the edges. At 8 or 9 years old a reseal may be needed.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote