Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
BigSkys
Established Member

M.O.C. #10086
Hellow, may I ask what is a bottle jack?

BigSkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #22
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Northern Tools -- Jack
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
An extra sewer hose or two for a couple of reasons. One is if you get a hole in a hose and the other reason is for those times you need a longer run of hose than normal. I keep 3 or 4 hoses with connectors already installed so I can just extend by connecting hoses together.

Likewise for water hoses. Instead of trying to keep multiple lengths of hoses I have several ten footers, each with quick connects installed. I just connect together however many I need at this site. Quick and easy. And it's cheaper to replace a 10 footer than a 25 footer when necessary.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I hang a whistle near the door. It will certainly get attention if you require help.

Of course I have a happy hour flag.
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wild Horse,

Your answer is in the pudding.

As fulltimers for almost 4 years, we continually battle with what is necessary, what is for comfort, and what takes up more room than what it is worth paying diesel to tow around.

There are several necessities for safety, and the initial setups, but after that, most of what is carried is personal preference.

We have several items that are absolutely necessary for us, but have little or no value to others.

Be flexible, observant, and constantly look for ways to improve your lifestyle. If you are in doubt about whether you should carry it or not, don't.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #26
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Another must if you plan on traveling a lot is 'Motor carriers road atlas', this atlas gives you all low bridge clearances in US and Canada. Since most GPS's might route you down roads not suited for RV's.
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #27
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Someone asked what you had that was of absolutely no use, the king pin tripod falls in to that catagory. I had one given to us and have used it while we traveled last year. We can't tell that it does any good at all versus setting up correctly. 70 lbs of junk.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #28
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Yep, the list continues to grow...and due to all the threads I've read on here over the past few months it's saved me a bunch of money, and headaches. I decided against the tripod, went with the sissorjacks by tires. still deciding on what type of trailer tire blocks/locks to buy.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #29
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
My 2 cents would be for spare bulbs and definitely fuses. Fuses for landing gear, maybe a spare auto-reset breaker (50A) for slides. Spare 1/4-20 bolts 1" and 1 1/4" (1/2?) for landing gear shaft. Those are in Bob Martin's collection!!! Velcro (hook-loop) stuff. Velcro strips to secure cupboard doors. Rubber shelf liners to keep dishes in place. Good digital tire gauge to go w/your 1/2" drive torque wrench. As Rndo said, 1 1/16" socket for water heater anode. BTW, open a faucet, too, before removing the anode (voice of experience)! Best wishes, and welcome to a great place for "tips."
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #30
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Gee Chris, wonder what happened to cause you to open a faucet before removing that anode rod? Been there done that and still forget about it every so often and seem to be reminded when it's to late!
I keep forgetting about the 1/4-20 bolts for the landing gear. Got to go to Westlake and get me some before the season starts. Might as well pick up some fuses, auto-set breakers and some spare 12 volt light bulbs too! The tool box and spare part box in the basement is going to get heavier again!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #31
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
I purchased a small double sided fishing tackle box for the small replacement bulbs and fuses. I also carry spare wooden 2x4 blocks for use under the landing gear. I have purchased redwood for the strength and less weight, and pre-drilled 3 holes through one 2" side to allow for 3" deck screws. This provides additional strength and helps prevent splitting. I carry a dozen of these as I can also use them to add to the plastic leveling blocks for additional height in the less than level sites.
How about a folding step ladder for those high storage areas in the rig, and RG-6 coax cable to connect to park cable TV when available. Additional connections for fresh water: Y connection, and 90 deg connector. All parks have different faucet connections, some angled up which makes is tough to have the inline filter hanging on the faucet.
Maybe a small step ladder, so that when the curb side has to be raised the bottom entry step isn't too high for entry.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #32
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Correction to above posting. I mentioned a "folding step ladder" for inside the rig, I meant a step stool. Also, I carry a supply of batteried: AA, AAA, C and D and a variety of flashlights. I carry also rechargable AA for the camera along with a recharging station. I carry also a saftey triangle kit, purchased at Harbor Freight, but have only used it a couple of times in the 4 years full timing. I also carry a folding step ladder, similar to Little Giant, but less expensive. I've not used it as often as I had though I would. I also carry, in the pickup bed, a generator, and haven't used it at all to power the rig, since we are in parks or just an overnight in a Walmart parking lot. We can get along without the TV for the night so don't hook it up. So, Just a few thoughts about what to carry and maybe some things to do without.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

Yep, the list continues to grow...and due to all the threads I've read on here over the past few months it's saved me a bunch of money, and headaches. I decided against the tripod, went with the sissorjacks by tires. still deciding on what type of trailer tire blocks/locks to buy.
I use both the triangular tire chocks and the between wheel chocks. My between wheel chocks are the BAL. Whatever brand you buy, if you get the between wheel chocks, make sure they can be tightened securely and then a little to keep the wheels from moving at all.

And, a day or two after installing them, go back outside and tighten them some more. When you first set up, the tires are warm. As those tires cool, they shrink slightly. You'll be surprised how loose those chocks have become, sometimes.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stimpy123

Gang,
I purchased a small double sided fishing tackle box for the small replacement bulbs and fuses.
I really like this idea and plan to borrow it. Thanks.

Also, re the comment about carrying extra batteries. We do, too, and keep the spare batteries in a box on the freezer door. They last far longer in the freezer.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #35
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We only buy rechargeable batteries. We're surprised at how many AA and AAA batteries we use. The expense to change over is high, but nice to always have fresh batteries and not worry about having enough.

BTW, when we are plugged in, it only takes 15 minutes to charge 4 batteries....they don't last as long, but who cares?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
BubbaLynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #10139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

I use both the triangular tire chocks and the between wheel chocks. My between wheel chocks are the BAL. Whatever brand you buy, if you get the between wheel chocks, make sure they can be tightened securely and then a little to keep the wheels from moving at all.

And, a day or two after installing them, go back outside and tighten them some more. When you first set up, the tires are warm. As those tires cool, they shrink slightly. You'll be surprised how loose those chocks have become, sometimes.
Very good to know, Thank You!
BubbaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #37
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve, my long lost twin, of course they last longer in the freezer, they are powering anything!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #38
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Lots of good to know stuff ! Thanks again !
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Steve, my long lost twin, of course they last longer in the freezer, they are powering anything!
Ron, I commented to your lovely wife about your sense of humor and she said I ought to see you when you and your brother get together!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:01 AM   #40
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
She is correct Steve! Our Mom use do say she had all the gray hair because of my brother Jim and myself! While she was still alive she used to just shake her head when be would all get together and turn to our wives and say "See what they've done to me (then pointed to her head). Now you have to put up with them!" She'd then laugh and come right back at us with a comment to the two of us! Quite a lady! Sorry Wild Horse, back on to your topic!