Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
low water pressure

good evening all. We managed to take our new Monty out last weekend for the first time. Loved it. All seemed to work fairly smooth with a few small issues that I fixed. However I am experiencing some serious water pressure issues. On city water and water pump as well. Have a humming noise coming very noticeable when the shower is on. Only time I hear it. Nearly a trickle in the kitchen except on spray.

Anyone have these issues? I removed the filter I was using, have a 5/8 hose running to the hookup, and I do have a pressure regulator on it.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated before I contact my dealer. thanks Joe

Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Check the screen in the city water connection. Sometimes trash will get on it and restrict flow. I replace ours often.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
I checked that when I removed the filter. Also all screens inside the faucets and they all were clean.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Check the screen in the city water connection. Sometimes trash will get on it and restrict flow. I replace ours often.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
An odd thing happened to us at a COE reservoir. For convienence I was using a standard screw on to the end of the hose pressure regulator and was getting exactly what you described. The cause was that the Corps had a backflow preventer on the end of their outlet that had a little plastic rod that protruded out a small distance. The pressure regulators debris screen pushed on the little plastic part and shut down the water to almost a trickle. I put the regulator in the middle of my system and then everything worked great.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Are you using brass coloured pressure regulator or one with a gauge and adjustable regulator.
We used those cheap ones and had trouble with our pressure until I got a good regulator.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If you have good pressure in the kitchen on spray but not on spout the problem is in the faucet itself. Check the diverter or look for restrictors internal to the faucet. ExNavyDiver had a post on this awhile back. Try to do a search for it. If it is humming only when the shower is running it must be unique to that faucet or the shower head itself. I'd start by removing the shower head and run water then work your way back to the faucet. Also isolate it to hot or cold side. On mine I had the noise issue. Thought it was unique to the shower but ended up being anytime water was running. Just more noticable when in the shower.If it is hot only there is probably a piece of debris in the hot water tank check valve. (Oz has an ols post on this you can search for.) If it is hot and cold it is probably something in the check valve behind the city hose bib hook up. On mine it was a small O-ring that had gotten out of position. Kind of a pain to get to but easy to fix. Jim
Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
I thank all of you, I am or was using the cheaper brass colored regulator. Will be replacing this. On the spray in the kitchen what I should have said was that really is the only way to get water, only a trickle on running water. I will try exploring more on the shower, I did check the screen but that was as far as I went. I did have a guy at the KOA mention the check valve coming off of the City Water hook up on my service center. Only time I hear the humming noise was at the shower level. Just took it back to storage tonight, will get it out this weekend and check it. I live in a neighborhood with restrictions on parking. Can not have it here over 3 days at a time. Pain in the butt, but I knew when I moved here. thanks again, and I want you all to know I am really enjoying this forum. Great bunch and what a quick response, Keystone should think about putting some of you on the payroll. thanks Joe
Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe-- You made comment on your NEW Monty. You didn't say what year your Monty is. IF it is a newer Monty I'd be taking it back to the dealer and have them do a water pressure test on the unit. They may find what is causing the problem also. Best of luck and let us know how things turn out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I've had the Wal-Mart cheap brass regulator drastically restrict the flow. When I replaced it, the problem was resolved. I'm sure you can get a better quality regulator than the Wally World brand, but for the infrequency of the problem, we haven't found it necessary yet to take the extra step. Like DQDick, we have the regulator on the trailer end of the water hose.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I didn't see where you tried the water without the regulator. Or did you see how the pressure was coming out of the hose before hooking up? Some places have horrible pressure to begin with.If the sprayer works,the diverter may be stuck or won't switch due to low pressure. Have you hooked up to your house water when you do bring it back home?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
It is new, just had it out this past weekend to get the bugs out. Just trying to work some of these out myself without going back to the dealer. usually quicker and cleaner. thanks Joe
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Joe-- You made comment on your NEW Monty. You didn't say what year your Monty is. IF it is a newer Monty I'd be taking it back to the dealer and have them do a water pressure test on the unit. They may find what is causing the problem also. Best of luck and let us know how things turn out!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
evening racerjoe, i did check this, had great pressure, have stayed at this KOA several times with no problems at any time either. Checked everything on the outside. being new to the new Monty's I was a little slow on digging into a area that I had not fooled around in yet. Sure appreciate everyone's help on all my questions though. been great. Joe
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

I didn't see where you tried the water without the regulator. Or did you see how the pressure was coming out of the hose before hooking up? Some places have horrible pressure to begin with.If the sprayer works,the diverter may be stuck or won't switch due to low pressure. Have you hooked up to your house water when you do bring it back home?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a different thought... May not be a good one... Sounds like what happened to us after about 4 yrs of Rving. We had a loss of water press and we also developed a humming noise in the system in our convenience center. I did not have a regulator on the system. I did have a dual, whole house filter system hooked up. So I unscrewed and took out the filters - then poured a gallon of white vinegar in both filters (~1/2 gal each) and put the filter system back together - w/o filters. Turned the water back on and opened up the faucets inside th rig. Ran it this way for 5-10 min and then replaced the filters and we have not had a problem since.

Since your rig has not had a chance for calcium deposits to build up, I don't think that is your case. The "humming" noise is what drew my attention to this topic...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote