Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
imolared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21609
Actual stories of TPM systems

I have been reading the threads the tire pressure monitoring systems.

Please share your experiences good and bad as a result of the system.

Were you warned in a timely manner to correct the issue?

Was there a tire issue without warning?

Did the system indicate warning but there was no issue?

imolared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I was pulling onto the I10 near Las Cruces NM. I just reached speed of about 60mph and the alarm went off. I looked at it to see how low it was and when I looked up I just passed an exit!!! Pulled off on the top of an overpass with about 18 inches to the guard rail and 18 inches to the white sideline on the road. It was 45 psi when I looked, it was 25 by the time I stopped. It was not resting on the rim at first but by the time I put up my flashers about 50 yards back, the rim was resting on the ground.
Turns out I had a big screw in the tire. Because I got stopped so fast there was no damage and the tire was able to be plugged/patched. I was due for new tires anyway, so I chose to drive it home (400 miles) on the fixed tire. Got home fine. But I am pretty sure without the TPMS I would have ruined the tire at the very least and probably some trailer parts if the tire shredded.
Wouldn't be without.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
I have had exactly the same experience as twindman 4 times in 10 years of RVing. A flat tire is a whole lot better than a shredded tire that throws road lizards into the bottom of your rig. Bottom line get one NOW.
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We were heading south on Hwy 93, north of Wickenburg, AZ last year on Easter Sunday, and got the alarm on the left rear tire. We finally found a spot to pull over with about 60 psi still in the tire. Turned out, the bolt in metal stem, with the nuts inside, had come loose and was leaking. I was able to change to the spare, and got a new stem installed the next day, all with no damage to the tire. That was at least a $400 save on a G614. TST 507 flow through.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Have never had a tire go low. But there is certainly comfort in being able to monitor tire pressures during those 2-3 hour drives between stops.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
TST on this 13 3402 and Pressure pro on the 06 3400. No negative experience.I can remember 3 incidents since 2006 were the system indicated a RV tire losing pressure and gave us time to get into a safe place a change the tire. It will not of course warn you of a blowout. That is a sudden failure. Considering the damage a failed tire can do the systems are a good buy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
In 2007, we were leaving Hyder, Alaska from the Run-A-Muck RV park, the TPMS sounded because of low pressure in a tire. I pulled into a convenient open parking spot, mhooked up my AC powered air compressor and filled up all the tires.
Another story, in 2017, we bought new tires for the passenger side of the Monty in Durango, Colorado. We were headed to Green River, Utah--a drive we make annually. There are only a few towns after you leave Cortez, Co. About 4 miles east of Dove Creek, CO, the tire monitor on one of the new tires sounded off. We made it to a nice open parking spot in Dove Creek and found a screw in the center of one of the new tires. I called my roadside service--Coach Net--from Cortez. The driver arrived in about an hour, we enjoyed the cool weather, got the tire repaired and headed on to Green River, Utah. Never leave home in the RV without TPMS--we have a Pressure Pro. Several other tire events between 2007 and 2017 also occurred.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay when we were running without them. We would have a blowout. When we have them we have not. luck I guess. it is also much easier to check your pressure and know you are good to go when you have them. That may be why when we have them we do not get a blow out.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
True they can not warn of a blow out which is a sudden and catastrophic failure .it is boom and flat. Most blowouts are caused by a slow loss of psi not detected tiil the tire comes off the rim and destructs causing damage to the truck and RV. We saw that happen right in front of us a couple of years ago on the interstate smoke from the right rear tire as the vehicle passed us the tire then disintegrated and tire and parts flew everywhere an large chuck of tire hitting the lower right side of our truck windshield.That incident could have been prevented with a TMPS.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Carried Away
Established Member

M.O.C. #20782
Husband was driving rig into Albuquerque (I was driving separately)....he was on I-40 when the temperature sensor indicated that the right front tire on tow vehicle was at 170 degrees. He managed to pull off on the next exit right away....upon stopping, thinking that there might be a fire, he jumped out with a fire extinguisher. However, no fire, just a warm tire. But when he tried to touch the hub, it was extremely HOT. So he dropped the rig and limped slowly with the truck to the nearest Ford dealership. Upon inspection of the tire, it turned out to be a stuck caliper. Technician said that at some point, the heat could have ignited grease, spread to engine and depending on how fast the rig could have been unhooked, it could have destroyed the rig. So YES, we will always have a TPMS system..IT IS ESSENTIAL.
Carried Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had a Goodyear 614 blow without warning on I-10 north of Tucson. When the tire came apart it split the TST on the tire behind it and both tires were toast before I could get off the road. So no warning and having one on the rear tire cost me another tire. That said I still use them and wouldn't feel comfortable without them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
OK - your experiences convinced me to get one. Is there a consensus on which TPMS system is best?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I have had a TST 510 system with sensors on all 4 trailer and all 4 truck tires for 7 years. I think it has ultimately saved me a lot of money. When you have a leaky tire, you will not have a "blowout" and if there is trailer damage it is not from any explosion. The damage is from not realizing from the drivers seat that there is a problem with one of the trailer tires and then you drive along oblivious until you drive the belts right off the sidewalls, and when the sidewalls finally disintegrate the tread and belts slap the trailer and cause body damage. My TPMS has given me a low pressure warning several times and each time I was able to change the tire before there was any damage. Once I had a tire slashed on an Interstate highway with immediate loss of pressure. Several other times I saw a small loss of pressure over a few days and when I inspected the tire I found a bulge on the sidewall or a bald spot on the tire each time, which is a sign of a broken belt and imminent tire failure.

I have never had a problem with the truck tires, so including them in the TPMS may not be worth the extra expense. Besides, if there is a problem with a truck tire you will feel it right away, unlike the trailer tires.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
I was checking into an RV park and another camper drove in. I had to walk around the passenger side of his tow vehicle to get back to mine. One of his rt rear tires was totally shredded...to the rim. As he was getting out of his tow vehicle to check in he saw me and heard me say, “Wow”. That got his attention and he joined me on that side of his rig. He was more shocked than me. He had no idea that a tire was destroyed......a TPMS purchase was in his future from that day on.
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
yatyas81

M.O.C. #23738
I put them on my previous fiver (Avalanche 345TG) after two blowouts that did a combined $6k in damage. I'm transferring the sensors to the Montana before I take it out for the first time this weekend. I also have sensors on our F450. I went a little further and put an air compressor under the truck and a quick connect under the front passenger door. I've used it several times when it was difficult to get to an air pump that will handle the pressure I needed.
yatyas81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
OK - your experiences convinced me to get one. Is there a consensus on which TPMS system is best?
I think there are more of us TST 507 owners than other brands. But others have been satisfied with some of the other brands also. Best? Don't know there is a good answer for that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have the Ford OEM Trailer TPMS. I have had TireMnder. If the Ford OEM system was not an option I would go with TST.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
As some of you know, I posted on this forum last month of a tire failure. To the best of my knowledge ,and a Sailun rep, one of two things happened with that tire. I was on highway 93 20 miles outside Kingman, Az. The road to say the least is terrible. I either caught a pothole just right, and cut the sidewall, or I picked up something in the sidewall, and lost tire pressure, nothing in the tread was visible, the tread was still completely intact, and no damage.

After further inspection of the tire behind it, there is some slight damage to the outer tread, nothing that would compromise it . It now has just over 1600 miles on it without a problem . But before our next trip it will be replaced ,and made a spare, it did run for a ways with all the weight on it, I don't feel good about it in the long run .

When I noticed in the mirror, the front tire drivers side on the fifth wheel was smoking, and starting to come apart. If I hadn't noticed when I did, things would of have gotten a lot worse. It was definitely not a blowout. No damage to fifth wheel or the rim. I will never know for sure if it was a sudden loss of air ,or a slower leak that a TPMS would have warned me, never the less I will be getting a TPMS.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have the Ford OEM Trailer TPMS. I have had TireMnder. If the Ford OEM system was not an option I would go with TST.
The 3500 Rams if I go the screen, I can see the tire pressure in each tire, but there is no warning , so I would have to be on that screen, and notice a tire getting low on the truck.

You are saying the Ford trucks come with a TPMS that monitors the trailer tires ???. The monitors come with the truck to add to the tires on the fifth wheel ???
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Yes since 2017 Ford has an OEM TPMS and trailer backup camera ties the their Ultimate trailer tow package. From now on the UTTP is a have to have option. The camera/TPMS is a wired system so a bit of work and is extra. As part of the installation you set the desired tire pressure. It will alert you if the pressure drops.

I like it because less clutter on the dash. No monitor to make sure it is charged.

It does not read temperature is the only thing missing.

Tags
ads