Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Duramax power loss(update)

My 06 Duramax just turned 85K miles. I passed a trailer and truck, I went from 45 to 65 and back to 55, all was good. When I finished the passing I noticed the "check engine" light had come on. When we got back into town I turned onto out road and noticed that it had no power. It acted like the turbo was not winding up. There was no noise or bang of any kind during the passing so I am stumped. I checked oil level when I got home and all is good. Any ideas before I drag it down to the dealer?... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Fuel filter ????
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333

Check the air filter also, Mine did that in Alaska and when I checked the air cleaner is was almost completely clogged. I tapped is out the best I could and got most power back, but had it changed out in the next town in Canada. I also had them replace the fuel filter also, they said is had dirt in the bottom of filter housing. Of course, it might be something altogether different. Let us know what you find Dave....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Steve, that is a possibility but the computer says I am at 58% on it, if it is it will be the first time since I got the truck. Will pull it in the morning and check. The computer usually says clogged filter or water in fuel but nothing so far. I will check filter tomorrow and post my findings. It does make sense that it might be the filter, I just fueled up before we drove down to Eagle River and this happened on the way back... Dave
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Loose clamps on the hoses on the turbo or inter cooler can cause a significant lose of power.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I just checked the air filter and it is good to go, very little sand and almost no bugs and the flow indicator is showing clean too, so I will have to do the fuel filter tomorrow when I can locate a replacement. It may very well be the filter as I just filled up with diesel at the local BP and probably got some shrimp and oysters in with the diesel...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sounds like what happened to mine also, and it was the fuel filter. Now I change it every 12K miles.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
A fish dinner with every fillup???
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
It was those cajun spices on the shrimp and oysters, or maybe you should run cocktail sauce instead of diesel.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Probably some pelican poop in there too. Damn, big difference in price of fuel filters, Donaldson from 37.89 to 61.98. Will call around here and see what is available and for how much.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Probably plugged up with all them "pink flamingo " feathers. LOL
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Heck Dave, you might even have a baby gator or two in there also!!!!!Maybe a crawdad also!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Engine went into "limp" perhaps. This protects the drive train from damage. Need to check codes and see what caused the light to come on. I had a Predator tuner when I got rid of the 04 Duramax. They are nice to have, even if you don't want to install a tune to the engine. You can read codes, adjust speedo for tire change, and check engine perimeters, including injector flow rates. I think the one I had my son picked up on Ebay for like a hundred bucks. Good luck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
After an evening run into town for dinner I am pretty sure it is a clogged filter. the engine light is out and got lots of power and full turbo after sitting for a couple hours. Will get new filter tomorrow..
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave have you been letting the Duramax idle a lot or let it sit and cool off inside before taking off? IF so it is the build up of carbon in the injector system. My Duramax did this when I got back from Australia and I had to take it in and found it was all carboned up due to them starting it and letting it run for a half hour or more but letting it sit while running and not driving it. If you drive it around and get it out on the interstate or high speed areas, it will burn that carbon out. If not and it sits, it builds up in the fuel system and will clog the injector and fuel system causing exactly what you are discribing. Let us know what you find!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #16
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Dave - we are in Ocean City MD 290 miles from home. The other day, my check engine light came on with no symptoms noted. I was just a few miles from a dealer so we stopped in and had them check it. Turbocharger vane position sensor. They reset the computer and said that it may be a bad sensor. Asked if we use bio-diesel or let the truck idle for long period of time. Said no. I got back to the camper and called my dealer at home. Also a possibility that it could be a bad turbocharger as they have had some problems with them. He asked if I had a loss of power and I told him no. Some have lost power if the vane is closed???? I'm not too familiar with their operation. Light is still out but he said that I should be OK in traveling home. I hope it is just the sensor as it takes about two weeks to get a new turbo and that could put the OHIO rally in doubt.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

After an evening run into town for dinner I am pretty sure it is a clogged filter. the engine light is out and got lots of power and full turbo after sitting for a couple hours. Will get new filter tomorrow..
I would get the code that was stored when the light came on. AutoZone will do the codes at no charge. Dealers usually charge 45-75 bucks to read the codes. I'm not saying I wouldn't change the filter, but for peace of mind, you need to know what is going on, and the code should tell you.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #18
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Dave, I would start with the computer code. There is so much computer control on those newer diesels it could be anything. Since you are not getting lots of black smoke out the tail pipe it's probably not an air supply problem. Could be a fuel filter but the computer must have a sensor that checks the fuel pressure. So probably not that.
I second the vote to have somebody like Advance auto check the codes for free. Then you can decide if you can fix it yourself or take it to a trusted diesel mechanic or the GM stealership
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I believe you can check the the codes on the Dodge by turning the ignition on and off three times and reading them off the odometer/trip mileage. Does GM have a similar method of checking codes?
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK, I gotta ask: how long ago was it that you changed your fuel filter? Am I seeing a 'deer in the headlights' look, with you mouthing the words 'fuel filter'?

Duramax fuel filters need to be changed between 15K and 20K, or sooner if you encounter some bad fuel. And as you've already discovered, they aren't cheap. Just be forewarned that there are actually two types of fuel filters that will fit your truck. One filters down to 10 microns and one filters down to 2 microns. I believe GM went with the 2 micron filter some time in 06, and I recommend it.

As a side note, I installed a Cat 2 micron filter in front of my factory filter (back by the fuel tank). The Cat filters are less than $20 and last around 30K. With this in place, the factory filter gets a lot less dirty - I know because I have cut them open to see.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote