Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Trailer Saver vs Reese

A week or so ago I asked about the size of the hitch you would recommend. We have a 3400RL and will be getting a 2011 Silverado (one ton, long bed) in about a week. Most of you suggested an 18K or 20K. At the time, some of you suggested a Trailer Saver type hitch. I contacted the company and talked to a representative to find out more. It is more difficult to get here in MI (but not impossible) and costs twice the price. We are also considering a Reese which was recommended by our Montana dealer. We do have a Mor-ryde pin box on the Montana.

What are the pros and cons about the Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch versus the Reese hitch? Is the TS worth the extra $? We don't plan on buying another hitch ... ever! We need your advice ... again.

Thanks for your time.

Lynne

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I don't understand why you would have difficulty getting a Trailersaver hitch, the company is in Davison, Michigan
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lynne, You would be comparing apples and oranges with these two hitches. The TS is an air hitch and the Reese is a rigid hitch. I feel the TS will protect my trailer longer by providing a cushioning effect and any rigid hitch increases the forces on the trailer itself. I have the TS and a MorRyde pin box and I feel that is the best combination for trailer longevity. We want to keep this one trailer as long as possible (10+ years) and that is why we went with this combination. If we were the type to trade in the trailer every couple of years or so, I don't think we would have gone to the expensive hitch. We DO like the way the trailer seems to float back there. Keep in mind I am probably somewhat biased and others may be along to talk about the AirSafe hitch (another air hitch company) or the Fifth Airborne Hitch, which I have heard nothing but good things about. I started out with a rigid hitch 3 years ago and seemed like I was getting beat to death. Others may disagree with me but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Yes, I know that one is an air hitch and one is a rigid hitch. I guess I should have said things differently. I am really asking about the air ride versus rigid, I guess.

Thanks for the clarification!

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

Yes, I know that one is an air hitch and one is a rigid hitch. I guess I should have said things differently. I am really asking about the air ride versus rigid, I guess.

Thanks for the clarification!

Lynne
We have the TrailerSaver hitch also. An air ride hitch eliminates the pounding you get from a rigid hitch. With an air-ride hitch the 5th wheel just sort of floats on the back of the truck whereas the rigid hitch allows every movement of the fifth wheel up and down to come through the hitch to the truck and you consequently feel it in the cab of the truck.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Right on, Orv!!!!!! (Oh my aching back)
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Having used both rigid and air ride hitches, I would purchase another air ride hitch if I had to replace my current hitch.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote