Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #1
Davedux

M.O.C. #18258
Grey tank removal

I seem to have developed a major leak on or near the top of grey tank below galley. When it fills up, it starts to overflow into the underbelly, and I didn't notice it immediately because the underbelly actually holds water, and a lot of it.

So I have pulled back the membrane, and have access to the tank, but cannot tell what is leaking/broken without dropping the tank. It may be the input plumbing or the tank itself. I am reluctant to try to drop the tank without some experienced advice. Anyone know how the input is connected? Glued in or just rubber grommet? How about the vent. I assume the tank must have a vent somewhere.

By the way, this is a 2014 Montana 3582RL. We are full timers, thus my reluctance to send it off to the repair shop for a week or two. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Davedux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I just had my front grey tank--bathroom sink and shower grey water--repaired due to the leak at the top of the tank where the shower inlet pipe entered the tank. Thought a lot about doing it myself--NO--Great shop did it for about 4 hours of labor. Of course my rig is 10 years old and I am not full timing. I felt better about having the a shop that I trust do the work. So I will pick up the Monty on Monday and head for the storage yard. Already planning for next summer.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Broken tanks are a common experience that have been related in this forum. We personally have had all three break, luckily not at the same time. We have had the Keystone service center repair ours after the National Rally. It only took an afternoon. Luckily (if you want to call it that) our black tank broke the week before the rally, so no real splashing worry for that. Our gray tank broke a few months before the following rally. We solved that issue by emptying the tank when it was about half full and never traveling with any contents in the tanks.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We are also full timers and recently had a galley tank leaking from the top. I scheduled an appointment with our favorite shop and took it in early morning. Only took them about 5 hours since they knew what they were doing. Was out of the shop by mid afternoon and they did excellent work. If I had a place to do it and didn't have health issues I believe I could have done it myself.

Our Montana is a rear kitchen model and there are no obstructions getting to the galley tank.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Drop bottom, cut inlet pipe near floor(mine close to sink and vent pipe connection), cut outlet pipe of tank after valve, remove wires for worthless tank monitor if stock, remove bolts from square tube that holds one side od tank in place, remove tube, pull tank sideways and down to release tank from floor joist that holds up other side, drop tank, find tank has broken top seam when you fill with water while it sits on ground, repair with plasti-mend kit per directions, wait per directions, re-install tank in reverse order, hook up inlet and outlet with no hub rubber fittings, rehook up tank monitor, done. John