Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Meet you at the Show, the RV Show that is!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
The Houston RV Show, Minimal Show

Three of us MOC couples went to the Houston RV Show yesterday and other than being expensive ($22.50 for 2 sandwiches and 2 drinks) it wasn't a great event. Oh, for sure they had the super expensive MH's of all types but I personally was disappointed with the 5th wheels on display. A lot of brands were not represented and there were no upper end units.

We all stopped by the local Montana dealers area (Holiday World) and I noticed there were no Big Sky on display. I asked the sales guy about it and was told they don't stock it anymore, he continued with "if you buy the new Montana with full gelcoat, dual pane windows and the upgrade 4 door refer you have just built a Big Sky for 10 to 15K less. We don't think it's reasonable to charge that much for the same unit." Interesting comment.

After looking at all that was offered I was really happy to get back to my 07 3400RL with GelCoat, Dual Pane and upgraded Refer, but it's NOT a Big Sky.

By the way, the new color wood interior is nice but is it worth a $1250 up charge as listed on the unit we saw. They put a finish on the wood of all units so whats the big deal.

Anyway, those are by humble observations, I'm sure Wayne and Coleen will be along to add their comments, I was very proud of Wayne, he didn't make any impulse buys this year.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stop ruining my reputation, please!

I posted in my original thread.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Out of all the Fifth Wheels that we saw, the only one that had any interest to us was the Quantam. I did not like the all in one bathroom in the Montana, nor the lose of the extra closet in the bedroom.

I did love the darker carpet, and would love to have it in my 2006 3400RL.

They all seemed to be really proud of their RV's and the salesman seemed to be really busy not selling anything. I ran into a group of 10 people that come on Thursday every year. They told me that they have NEVER seen it this slow, there was always more people attending the show.

Glad we have what we have, would just like to not have a leaking super slide and a counter top that was worth a plug nickel. Other than that call me a happy camper.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

That trailer you sorta liked, we looked at one, if you read my very long disertation about the show in Novi Michigan here:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32765

The trailer they could not figure out what happened to 2000 of cargo capacity, twas the same brand you are talking about.

As you will see in my diseratation, we were very very surprised at the number of people who were at sales desks talking deals. Did they buy?? Have no idea, but they were talking.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
RE: the salesman at holiday World and his Big Sky comments. It sounds like typical salesman's justifications for whatever spin he wanted to spin. While I personally have had good experiences with Holiday World, I know their sales staff are not the world's model for honesty.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Stiles, you are very correct in regard to the HW salesfolks, but I believe that is true almost everywhere. We purchased our unit at Holiday World but would not recommend their service or really have any reason to go back there in the future.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have been noticing that Fun Time RV in Cleburne (just south of Ft Worth) has been advertising their spring RV show next weekend as the largest RV show in Texas with 1500 units in stock, larger than Dallas and Ft Worth shows. Sounds like they are trying to draw the RV crowd to them instead of taking their units to the other shows.
We bought ours there July '07 and were very pleased with our salesman (no pressure/no bull) and the company overall. Will most likely go back there when we are ready to do it again. They had every Montana floor plan in stock when we were buying along with those of several other manufacturers.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, it's to bad that salesmen sometimes make statements that are not entirely true. Each RV, Big Sky and Montana, have their aesthetic values to a particular buyer. Looking at the Keystone web page, and the specifications of each, and what is standard, what is a value package, and what is optional, one can come up with many variations for each model. It may just be possible to have one of each with the same individual "conveniences."

Personally, I think you are comparing Apples and Oranges. Also Holiday World "had" a Big Sky on their lot, but quickly sold it before the RV show. I think we must consider todays economic times and realize that distributors of any type of RV may not have their "upper class" on the lot, but would prefer to special order it built to the customers requirements. Makes sense to me.

As for Holiday World. I have purchased two rigs from them in the last two years and in my opinion they have been fair and truthful with me. I recently had some service problems that were not entirely their fault, and they worked closely with me to resolve the issue, which as of today, is fixed.

Also honored under warranty was a tear at the seam to the topper on my 19ft slideout on the SOB.

I have been satisfied with their sales personnel and their service department, although slow this last time, and will do business with them again should I have a need to.

Edited: (Spelling)
Sorry Bingo, I edited before I read your post. And I'm not changing it back to anesthetic.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
jewelhound

M.O.C. #7680
Husband and I went to RV show first day and were not impressed. Show seemed smaller than in past years and little in the way of new ideas. We went to the Tampa show last year and that was a thrill. Of course just wandering through Lazy Days was what we call entertainment.

We also got a card for Fun Time RV show as we bought our 2008 Montana there 14 months ago. Had problems with the unit that we were going to buy, but the salesman did a good job of making it right. Warranty works has been BAD! Live in the Houston area and Holiday World wanted to charge us just to give quotes to Keystone. Ended up taking the unit back to Lazy Days 3 times and work still not done right even though they had the unit for 8 weeks (Unit was tied up for 12 total- we went to another Co that Keystone recommended local and they did nothing for a month so took it back to Fun Time) . So of course things we have now found were out of warranty as it was in the shop for so long.
jewelhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO

Seems that dealers will always try and sell you what is on their lots and tend to "talk down" units they don't have or have to order. (Same goes for Car dealers). I think we are going to see less and less of high end units on showroom floors until the market settles, whenever that may be!!! Uncertainty of economic future will drive this market for some time....Of course, NOW is probably a good time to buy ifn you have a mind to, as long as you can find the unit you want....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Looks like Houston is heading to the condition of the San Antonio show. A few years ago, several dealers out I-10 and I-35 decided to advertise "RV Show" on their lots during the San Antonio Show. --No admission charge, etc. Well that has resulted in NO San Antonio show this year even though it was never as big as Houston or Dallas. The situation reflects the market conditions.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote