Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Back to the black tank flush again??

Last Nov. the black tank flush stopped working, last time we used the monty. Today I got around to cutting a bigger hole in back of the cupboard to access the flush valve. I removed it and then put the air hose to the flush line to the sprayer and nothing, then hooked the 2 pipes together direct and then tried to run water thru the sprayer into the tank. Still no action. A lot of back pressure on the water hose when disconnecting So it must be the sprayer that is plugged and not the flush valve (those flush valves are rather expensive)
I did a search and found a bunch of different ideas from calgon to ice cubes to rid-ex. Not leaving for a couple of weeks so might fill it up and let it set for a week with calgon and then dump.
Really don't want to have to drop the belly and then the tank to gain access to the sprayer. So I'm looking for other Ideas that worked for you if there are any.
thanks

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Not the answer you want to hear, but, ours has not worked in several years. We just use more water and less paper, Calgon and a wee bit of laundry soap when we roll.

We save ALL ice for adult beverages.

If you have the time to sit, you can try the ridex stuff, believe the longer you have for that to sit the better?

We had rigs for years with no sprayer thingy, guess that is why it does not bother us much to not have it functioning on Tana.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thanks for the response, you are right. this is the 1st rv we had with the flush system, I guess I could use the wand that attaches to the garden hose from time to time.
You are right on the ice, sure would hate to go for a Captain Morgan and realise I put all the ice down the hole
Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I too am beginning to believe the tank sprayer is about worthless. I have eliminated the back flow valve, but still do not get much water into the tank thru the sprayer so I doubt it is doing much to clean the tank. I have one of the gated valves on the end of my dump line that has a flush inlet on it and figure I am just gonna use it. Don't think it will be worth the effort to drop the belly to try and fix it......
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're currently in a park in Las Cruses with water pressure around 120#. Even with it cut back to 60# I get a great spraying action you can hear all over. Normally we are lucky if we get 40# and then it doesn't do as well.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Leo. I had that problem with my black tank flush system, I went as far as to purchas a new spray head that goes into the tank a new anti syfon valve removed the pannel under the tank and was ready to remove the old and put on the new.
I tried everything you did and I also connected a air hose to the line to the spray head hose, all with no luck.
I did try one thing that seemed to do the job of clearing up the problem. you might try it befor going to the underbelly.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and but a box of Rid-Ex septic tank cleaner powder. If your tank has been dumped as good as possable and filling through the toilet opening to flush as best you can then close the black tank valve when empty get a five gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 of the way with warm water to disolve the Rid-Ex the whole box pour that down the toilet then fill the tank all the way to the top where you can see the water in the pipe, let that sit for 24 hours or there abouts. the problem is the spray head has all its holes pluged the rid-Ex will not only clean that but you tank also. this worked for me and it saved me from removing the original fast flush spray head. I drained my tank and had the hose on the flush system connector and turned the water on and heard that wonderful sound of a spray head blasting water in the tank.
This worked for me Good luck.
otherwise drop the belly and replace the spray head with a new one and all will work again that way also.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I do not even use the flush. I do it the hard dumb way by filling the tank via a water hose at the toilet, top the tank off, drain, and then I fill the black tank up a second time with water and flush again. Been doing that for 25 years, never a blockage, never an odor issue.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I do not even use the flush. I do it the hard dumb way by filling the tank via a water hose at the toilet, top the tank off, drain, and then I fill the black tank up a second time with water and flush again. Been doing that for 25 years, never a blockage, never an odor issue.
I used to do that like you untill 2004 thats when we bought the Monty, the fast flush system has spoiled me to no end. I have routed a water quick disconect in the jon through the floor just incase I ever have to do it that way again, I hate running a hose through the RV, I like you have done it that way sence 1974, now I just stand outside and listen to the spray head when its quiet I pull the plug and let it dump.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Last Nov. the black tank flush stopped working, last time we used the monty. Today I got around to cutting a bigger hole in back of the cupboard to access the flush valve. I removed it and then put the air hose to the flush line to the sprayer and nothing, then hooked the 2 pipes together direct and then tried to run water thru the sprayer into the tank. Still no action. A lot of back pressure on the water hose when disconnecting So it must be the sprayer that is plugged and not the flush valve (those flush valves are rather expensive)
I did a search and found a bunch of different ideas from calgon to ice cubes to rid-ex. Not leaving for a couple of weeks so might fill it up and let it set for a week with calgon and then dump.
Really don't want to have to drop the belly and then the tank to gain access to the sprayer. So I'm looking for other Ideas that worked for you if there are any.
thanks
As already stated, you aren't getting any water through the sprayer because of the backflow preventer. Replace it with a quality one and you shouldn't have any more problems.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

thanks
As already stated, you aren't getting any water through the sprayer because of the backflow preventer. Replace it with a quality one and you shouldn't have any more problems.
I took the backflo thing off and tried air directlyon the back side of pipe directly into the tank sprayer and with the device off I hooked up a piece into the 2 tubes and still nothing bipassing the flush valve, there for it must be a clogged sprayer
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
CountryGuy replaced stuff in that system, and the sprayer worked, half heartedly (IF THAT) and then it stopped. If some foreign matter lodges against that sprayer head, well, when the tank is empty, it dries and clogs up stuff.

We have tried soaking it off over night with a full tank. Really did not do the trick.

We got tired of fussing, would rather be out sightseeing or something.

But, I agree, it is not always that backflow valve.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I had the spray head in the black tank clog up one time. I filled the black tank completely full up to the top with clean water and a couple cups of powdered laundry detergent thrown in through the toilet as I filled the tank up.

I let it sit that way and soak for a couple of days, then drained the black tank and hooked up a water hose to the black tank flush connector(without a pressure regulator), et voila, it worked just fine again.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
i think my idea with Rid-Ex for 24 hours, or Overlord idea with detergent or disolved dishwasher soap if your not in a hurry.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
After all the soaking, by-passing the back flo system, applying 65lb of air to no avail I'm going to give it one more try. I got a good strong enzyme treatment that is suppose to dissolve the TP and Poo I took the back flo valve off the down side and filled the tube with the treatment which should have filled the spray system from the inside and then hooked it back up. Will give this a few days to soak and tnd then apply air to see if it lets go.
I can do without it, but I hate it when something is broken and not fixed. Will let you know.
Thanks for all your replies.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Allen in MT, I know what you mean when a job is incomplete, it will be there untill it gets fixed, and every time you see it..... it reminds you.
With all the truble and efort that you have given that fast flush I would drop the belly and replace the spray head its not that hard to do. while your under there put some fender washers on all the screws you put back in, also I have found that marking the belly for quick screw reverance when butting it back up.
Good luck
Don. AKA:TT2