Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Strange honey bee's in Del Rio Texas

Stupid bee's don't realize it's still winter. Was working on a project outside, had a cup of black coffee getting cold on the picnic table, pick it up to take drink and a dang honey bee was in it and stung me on the upper lip. I've been hit in the mouth from a fist that didn't hurt as much as that did and still hurts 5 hrs. later. My lip is also swelled up about twice normal size. Wife is an RN and says since I haven't had a reaction by now I should be ok, but dang this hurts. I can't believe that stupid bee was in a cup of black coffee, no sugar, no creamer, just coffee. Dumb a$$ bee's here in Texas.

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ouch! That hurts just to read about it. Hope it gets back to normal soon.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Maybe that's why those killer bees are so tough, they like their coffee black
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Killer bee is the first thing I thought about which is the reason I didn't kill it. I didn't want it to send out pheromones or signals to any other bee's. I've seen a lot of females pay good money for fat lips like I've got right now.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Everything's, bigger, meaner and tougher in Texas. Hope your lip is better this morning!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
You should see our mosquitos lol lol....but for real you need to be careful if you find "large" honey bees. Most likely from the killer bee family. Problem is you never know what will set them off. We've had a problem with them here in central Texas where they killed an elderly women mowing her grass and another place they killed a dog in the past year. Just keep an eye out and if you see large numbers of them heading to a nest somewhere you might wanna call the bee police...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Maybe just trying to stay warm. Did the cold fronts get that far south?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Maybe just trying to stay warm. Did the cold fronts get that far south?
Yes it did although we were spared any ice or snow. Our friends in the RGV weren't so lucky though. I understand they closed Hwy. 83 from Mission to Brownsville. We were down there 3 or 4 years ago when an ice storm hit and while I've have got more than a million miles under my belt from the driving jobs I've had, I've never been more scared by those folks that don't know how to drive on ice. That time, they closed 83 the same distance because of the many wrecks. I got caught out in it and drove 30 miles out of my way, on the back roads, to get back home. The last straw on the Hwy was when the car in front of me made a 180 in front of me for no apparent reason, I decided it was time to get off the interstate and take the back roads home. Don't Texas honey bee's hibernate in the winter?

On Edit; just wanted to add, the swelling has went down to almost normal after an evening of icing it, but it is still sore as all get out.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
That Texas Bee was in ur coffee because the was no whiskey.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
What are you doing in Del Rio? Is Citad a Cuna still a Ghost town? Weslaco was 83 yesterday, 43 today.

Last time we were there Crosby's and the pot store across the street up a block were the only things still open. Heard that Crosby's finally had to close. We loved that restaurant.

Glad you are better today.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

What are you doing in Del Rio? Is Citad a Cuna still a Ghost town? Weslaco was 83 yesterday, 43 today.

Last time we were there Crosby's and the pot store across the street up a block were the only things still open. Heard that Crosby's finally had to close. We loved that restaurant.

Glad you are better today.

Jim
Haven't crossed the border here and probably won't from what we are hearing going on in Ciudad Acuńa lately. Lots of Cartel activity. We're going to take a trip to Weslaco next month and go to Progresso for some pharmacy meds. Progresso is the only place we have felt safe in Mexico. Cold here today, at 1:11 pm it's a whopping 36 degrees.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Thanks, Come see us. We have been over several times this winter. New watering hole, left side, 2nd block, The Spot. Med prices up a bit, but still good. http://www.rancherovillagecircle.com/

Jim
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Thanks, Come see us. We have been over several times this winter. New watering hole, left side, 2nd block, The Spot. Med prices up a bit, but still good. http://www.rancherovillagecircle.com/

Jim
Ranchero Village, not sure they would allow us back in there if they realized who we were. About 6 years ago, on our first trip to Weslaco, we stayed there for about 30 days. We got into an argument with the owner over a pet fence they said we could put up and then reneged after it had been up for about a week, just long enough for our 2 Maltese dogs to get used to it. We have not been treated so rude since.

Last year we stayed in Donna at Dolphin Motel and RV Park and with the exception of one RV tenant that thought she owned the place it was a very pleasant stay. We didn't, but could have walked to the Flea Market.

We'll try and look you up when we get down.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Same owner who lives in Fl. Different manager. Bob and Jean were managers here for years and either you loved then or not. We really liked them. Now Nathan and Faye are the managers. Bob and Jean just deal with the rentals of the owner.

Nathan is NOT a RV'er so he has no clue. Were you here when the RV section was a separate area or mixed in with the park models?

Now we have our own 105 sites separate from the mobiles and have our own set of rules. Like one dog. We have folks with 3, walk them one at a time and no one cares. One guy has a dog pin, but it is under his awning and is kinda concealed so no big deal.

Rose is still in the office as is Lynda. Give Rose a call. We really enjoy it here and think you will like the new sites if you have not been to the new section.

A dog run in the open probably would not work. Your 2 could meet the wife's 17 year old.

Site 516.

Jim
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We were in our Motor Home back then and the RV section was in the south part of the park, but we were butted right up to the Park Models and trailer houses. We just couldn't seem to get along with the any of the people behind us. Carol picked an orange from a tree that was half on our lot and half on the trailer house lot. The old lady turned her into the office and we had to put up with that crap. Bottom line, we will never stay in that park again when there are a lot better parks, IMHO, in the RGV. We stayed at Country Sunshine 4 times before going to Donna and were very happy. More power to you if you like that place, we don't.

Pistol Pete

Prissy
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #16
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Yea, you were on what we call Wall street on the north side of the RV section. The normal crap of the mobile home owners against the RV'ers. Some old woman taking ownership of a tree on her rented property. That way in every park. She was probably used to having nothing behind her and when they put in the RV section now everyone had folks behind them.

We are on the far south side backed up to the fence with no one behind us and serves as a wind block. We have friends at Country Sunshine and they like it there. It all depends on your neighbors.

This is our site. Pic from early last season when we had the M/H.
Nothing behind the fence. M/H facing north. PM me and I'll send our phone #. Nice looking Crappie and pups.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #17
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
That pic of Pistol Pete was a few years ago. He is 10 1/2 years old now and still going strong. You want to see some nice Crappie? Here is 2 that Carol caught on Falcon a couple of years ago. She lost one bigger than the one on the left. She got it right up to the boat and I was too slow on the net. I almost had to net her as she was going in after it. We found out, after we ate the big one in the pic, that it would have been a lake record at 3.8lbs.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 AM   #18
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Carol was a fish catching fool that year.

A chunky 5.2 pounder

Her personal best, a 7.9 pounder

I didn't do too bad. I caught several of these 8 pounders

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Mercy......Those look like the stuff I have not seen since we fished at Lake Guererro in Mexico in the 70's.

Nothing like a nice fried Crappie, or Walleye, or Catfish, or Sand Bass.

We sold the boat in 2000 when we started fulltimming. Now we are into off-road.