Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
finding motels that can accomidate 5W and TV?

I will be doing PDI and picking up my new 3402RL on Monday. I want to get out of Elkhart and away from the snow potential as soon as possible, but that will not let me pull all the way home in the same day. I would hope it would be easy to find a motel along the way that had a parking lot that would allow me to part the rig overnight and leave everything hitched up.

Is there an easy way to find out motels or areas that can provide this? I've been at motels where truck drivers stated leaving their rig in nearby mall parking lots, but not sure how you find these places without experience.

I'll be traveling back to NC picking as many interstate highways as possible.

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
In the past I would search the listings for truck parking. Be aware of leaving unit in another lot away from motel. Theft is possible for I know first hand.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Are there any RV transporters out there, or anyone knowing any transporters, maybe they could help out?
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Why not just find a RV park and stay in your new Montana. It may not have the stuff in it that you would like but I am sure you could make it like that for one night.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Google search hotels in the areas you think are a possible stopping point. Get the addresses of a few of the hotels. Search the addresses on Google maps and use the overhead satellite view to see how big the lot looks. Use street view to see if it looks like there are any obstructions or tight spots that would prevent getting in or out. I use Google maps all the time when traveling to make sure I don't end up in any places I don't want to be or can't get in or out of. Call the hotel and see if they mind you parking your rig along the side or back of the lot. I don't think you should have any problem finding a suitable place along the interstate. What part of NC?
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

What part of NC?
Southwest of Raleigh.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I transported for years and trying to find a motel that has room for a RV can be a done. Pick a distance you plan on driving to the first day, get off the road before dark. Check out motels in the area before you get to the area. Find one close to the road you plan to travel on. Call ahead and ask if they have over the road truck parking and hope you get someone on the phone that you can understand. I find the older motels are set up for large trucks and have lots of easy parking,the new ones have small parking areas mostly for cars. I would also suggest that if you pick a area go on line to bed bug.com and check and see if the motel is on the list if so find another. I never transported on the east coast so I can give no info on a motel.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I have been delivering rvs a lot this year and have been staying in Comfort Inns and Quality inns. The parking lots are mostly setup for cars but I have been using a lot of spaces on the outer edge of their lot parking sideways. Econolodges have more semi spaces, but I'm usually not happy with the accamodations. If possible always try to get off the road while it's light out so you can see where you can and can't park.
You could use your unit on the way, but it will be winterized and the bathroom may present an issue, just take a gallon of water along to flush with.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
I guess I could have looked at your profile! Duh! We're in Goldsboro, SE of Raleigh 55 minutes. Daughter lives in Raleigh and we camp Jordan Lake quite a bit. Might see you out here some time!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When we moved to AZ hauling a large enclosed trailer we used Super8. Their online listings told me whether or not a motel had big rig parking or as Old Turbo suggested find one you are interested in and call.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Walmart usually welcomes RVs. If you like you could stay in your coach and stop by CW in Garner and use their dumping station before going to your destination.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Someone mentioned a Super 8 but I am sure other chains have the same option to do this. When you enter where you want to stay, dates, and how many people, there is a final drop down menu that says, "SEARCH HOTELS BY INTEREST". Click that and select, "BUS PARKING". It will pull up locations that have Bus/RV/Semi Parking.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Dennis on this one. I'd camp in that new unit. Camping, then rigging down, then driving for a few hrs then rigging it up for the night and staying in it gives you a real good idea if anything is wrong.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Dennis on this one. I'd camp in that new unit. Camping, then rigging down, then driving for a few hrs then rigging it up for the night and staying in it gives you a real good idea if anything is wrong.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you know of some motels/hotels in the area you want to stay, give them a call and ask. It is not unusual to see a 5er or TT or even a MH parked at a hotel/motel.

And like some above I frequently use google satellite view to find parking lots and/or easy entrance/exit near any kind of stops I plan to make such as service stations, restaurants, museums, roadside attractions, etc. to make sure there will be no problem finding a place to pull in and park before I get there, at least temporarily. But have not yet tried it at a hotel.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
Jack and Gail
Established Member

M.O.C. #13938
We also bought our Montana in Elkhart and drove it back to NC. We camped in our unit in campgrounds along the way. It was great experience and we actually discovered a problem about 90 miles out of Elkhart that required turning around and going back to the dealer. We wouldn't have discovered this problem until we were back in NC had we just towed and stayed in motels, so it worked out well for us.
Jack and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree with those who say you should use the new unit, but if you really want to use a motel go here to find what you need: http://www.truckstopsandservices.com...sses.php?id=73
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Traveled from Cape May NJ all the way to Sacramento on 80 recently, as well many other highways. Plenty of good RV Parks, KOA and others nearly every 200 miles. I would never leave the rig unattended unless in an RV park. Use it and be ready for next vacation.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #19
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Samiterry,

Yes. There are plenty of transporters out there that will move your RV. I have had to sell my TV due to a combination of Myeloma and Autonomic Neuropathy. I cannot negotiate the steps any more. I am going through Chemo in Sacramento and have set up with a company to move my 3075RL back home for a good price (588 miles).

Do a search for RV Transporters and you will get many responses.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As a former transporter, I used a Verizon 4G hotspot. I have a laptop (with internet access via the hotspot). I have a 400 watt inverter (probably only need 200W) to power and recharge the hotspot and laptop. I have software that helps plan trips to locate hotels/motels and truckstops to estimate our overnight stay. Then I (actually DW when she travelled with me) call each possible location and ask for availability and accomodation of a large vehicle. I found picking lodging near truck stops provided the best odds. Some places claimed they had spots but then by the time I arrived, they were taken. If I was alone, I did this when I stopped for lunch or a break. I found that I should not plan a last to the minute stop. Stopping earlier or driving shorter distances meant I did not arrive at real late hours plus it also preserved my strength (this can be long tiring work). Using Google or Bing Maps sure helped confirm if RV room was available.

You have to be able to stepdown your expectations (no Hiltons or Marriotts necessarily). For me, it was a bed and a shower and I used my own Internet and computer hardware for my business. Be cautious, too since I stayed in some pretty bad places because the person I talked to on the phone was just trying to sell a room and their RV accomodations were not as good as they described (using google or Bingmaps will confirm). The only town we promised ourselves to never to stay again was Lovelock, NV. What a hole that place is.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote