Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Satellite on demand?

Hello RV Friends!

We are canceling Directv in our home and going to a cable type bundle service (less cost). This will of course affect our Monty. The cable guy and Directv say 2 different things. I'm sure the cable guy wants our business and will say anything to get it.

Question: Can we have Directv or Dish service on demand for ONLY the few times we need it when going camping? If so, what is the name of the package and how much would it cost? I believe Dish has a "Dish Pause" service.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
not totallly sure but i think you need a phone line connected to receive on demand most campgrounds do not have this service
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We have Direct TV. With most of their packages you can turn Dierct TV off for up to 6 months of the year.

You can also buy your equipment, agree to none of their package deals, and get programing turned on and off month by month, for as little or much as you want. You do have to choose which of their program levels you want. I think the lowest level is around $60 per month. But you can also change that monthly too.

Equipment can be purchased at places like Radio Shack, Camping world, Best Buy or shop on line. I think you can get everything for under $400.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Camper4 is correct. We bought our own equipment, receiver and dish, and contacted Direct TV. Now we can turn it on when we go and off upon our return.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

We have Direct TV. With most of their packages you can turn Dierct TV off for up to 6 months of the year.

You can also buy your equipment, agree to none of their package deals, and get programing turned on and off month by month, for as little or much as you want. You do have to choose which of their program levels you want. I think the lowest level is around $60 per month. But you can also change that monthly too.

Equipment can be purchased at places like Radio Shack, Camping world, Best Buy or shop on line. I think you can get everything for under $400.
Keep in mind, with Directv even if you go out and purchase your own equipment Directv still owns that equipment.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
When I read your post, I was a little confused. Do you mean using the service or do you want to know about using Direct TV on Demand? These are two different things. For the service, most have covered that topic well. For on demand, you will need the receiver, a wired or wireless adapter that is connected to the receiver and then you can get on demand. We have the on Demand and you tune to channel 1000 and it gives you lots of options for watching shows. There is sometimes a charge to watch a movie, but lots of free content. You would need a wireless network to make it happen though.

Steve
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
I would like a service that i use primaraly in the rv then beable to take it in the house and use it there is there a quik easy way to do this ?
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dish has a service called "On the Go" Not sure if that is what you're looking for but it allows you to use the Dish network while you're RVing.
Check it out at http://www.dishformyrv.com

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by michael346LBQ

I would like a service that i use primaraly in the rv then beable to take it in the house and use it there is there a quik easy way to do this ?
One way would be to move your receiver into the house. If you have a dish on the house it would be simple.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RCMP03

Hello RV Friends!

We are canceling Directv in our home and going to a cable type bundle service (less cost). This will of course affect our Monty. The cable guy and Directv say 2 different things. I'm sure the cable guy wants our business and will say anything to get it.

Question: Can we have Directv or Dish service on demand for ONLY the few times we need it when going camping? If so, what is the name of the package and how much would it cost? I believe Dish has a "Dish Pause" service.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Sue
The Dish Pay as you go plan is for as little as $25 per month but to get any decent (IMO) programming you're going to pay about $50/month. Its a month by month service and you prepay for the month ahead. If you don't want to renew the next month just don't pay and it automatically goes dormant till you prepay for another month.

So - if you use it for lets say 2 months.. that's $100 or so. I have dish at home and instead have a separate receiver in the 5'vr for $7/month.

You need to factor how much you are saving by bundling vs how much you are going to pay with the month by month service to see if in the long run you will save.

Just go to the dish website (perhaps Direct TV has it too - I don't know) and look at the pay as you go programming to see what you will pay for what programming you want.

Then you can figure out how much - or if - you will save overall.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
If you have a dish reciever you can unhook it and take it with you. You will need and extra LNB and a tri-pod or some stand. Just set it up and run thru the setup and zip code change and you are in business, When you get home just take the reciever back in the house and plug it in change the zip code and you are in business again, no need to call anybody or get different programming.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
There is a dish on the house so it should be easy, the next ? is is it better to have a dish on a tripod or is it best to have it mounted on top of the fiver and ware is the best deals for thoes types of set ups. I can do without it but the DW seems to need 250 stations with nothing to watch lol i get enough stations with the built in antenna on the fiver.Have to keep mama happy.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
No, don't do the dishformyrv..... they only have single channel recievers and you have to get the equipment from them only. Also I don't think you can suspend service with them. Go on Amazon or Ebay and buy your own equipment. I got a dual band receiver with DVR for $125. The regular antenna dishes are really cheap and all you need is a tripod. Once you learn it is easy to set up. Most of the carryouts are single band only, although I think there is a new one out that is dual band. Once you have the equipment call dish and ask for the RV division. They were great to work with (read they were from the US and spoke english) and yes once set up you can suspend and activate your service. I can usually get local network channels where we go so I have the $17 a month service that has some different channels I like to watch like HGTV etc. Yes there is a $17 pkg. But it is only introductory and once you change it then it's a $25 pkg.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I believe that Camping World sells a package that works with Dish-buy the receiver and (maybe) the auto Cube and pay as you go.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
The Dish Website has 4 or 5 Equipment Packages for RV Pay as you go based on the Winegard Antenna choices from cheap to $$$. The Dish Reciever is not a DVR, but you can add a HD to save or "Tivo" programs. Then you choose your programming package for $$.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dave,
Dish on the go allows you to pay by the month....when you are not out, you don't pay. There is no extra charge to stop or start. You can choose whatever package you want. We have the Dish 211VIP, single receiver with a 1TB hard disk attached for a DVR. We only use the one TV so having the dual channel is not necessary. We have a 722 at home so on the occasion that I want the dual receiver, I just swap them out..

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
I guess being that it is the DW and myself we are looking for a nice HD set up for the fiver, with the ability to take the reciever from the
(RV and and set it up to watch in the House)
(I inderstand i would need another dish for the home)

Or my choice is to run a line from the rv dish that will be parked near the home.

So my thought is the rv carries the antenna and the reciever can be moved from the rv to the house.

but the ? is.
Is it best to have the dish mounted to the top of the rv.

Or is it better to mount on a movable tripod on the ground,

Also being that it can be used weather we are in the rv or in the house haveing a 1 or 2 year contract dosent matter.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
In answer to your dish question ... I prefer the tripod as unless you always camp out in wide open spaces away from trees, you'll run into the occasional campsite that won't allow the roof dish to receive anything. Granted the roof dish is somewhat easier to use (read press a button and it finds it's own satellites)... setting up the dish on a tripod isn't that hard once you do it a time or two. Satellite finders are a great help to get tuned in and can be had off EBay for small $$. Bottom Line ... It all depends on what's around your campsite, so keep that in mind as others will chime in here.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I have Dish on the go and love it. But, it's not quite as simple as the previoule post claims. You will get some channels that way fut i have had to cll them and tell them where I am and then the local channels come in about 5 monutes later. Sometimes it gets a bit more complicted but a little patience and some profanity ususually does the trick. I have the Wynguard carry out antennae so it finds the sattelites itself.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
I think i will find myself in a wooded area most of the time so maybe a real nice one on a tripod is the way to go, evan by my home there are very tall pines once i figure out how to get a pic on here it will show the pines