Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
New Orleans

Looking to stay a couple of nights in the New Orleans area on our way west. Anybody have campground suggestions? As always, we appreciate your input.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
KOA West is probably the best for your size house Jo-Anna... There used to be a real nice one on the East side but it got washed out in Katrina. The KOA is a ways from the French Quarter but not bad.. I heard that they put one up right by the French Quarter but have never stayed there or know anyone that has so I can't help. The last time we were visiting, we stayed in Mississippi and drove over for the day.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
On the north side of Lake Ponchartrain there is a state park, Fairview Riverside State Park, that we stayed in. It is about an hour from NO, but it's very pretty and is on the Tchefuncte River. Right next to the park is the Fairview house, which you can tour. There is a maritime museum and a little boat building school at the museum in Madisonville - both of which are very interesting. We would stay there again. Enjoy!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
I agree with bob n pam If your wanting to stay on north shore go to madisonville fairview is a nice state campground and it also has free internet, and i think the price is only around $24.00 nite unless you have a Asses pass for national parks its half price,,,if your going to be around this weekend check out Hidden oaks camp grounds near hammond, there a Cajun Swamp pop Music weekend there..........Allen & Iris
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
I live 45 miles away and i wouldnt stay any wheres in new orleans. stay on I-12 west of hammond and theres a nice campground 15 west of hammond called Lakeside rv. we stay there a lot.but if your on I-12 u will see a lot of signs for campgrounds..........PS dont take I-10 you want find any campground between Slidell to BatonRouge thats worth anything.........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Fairview Riverside SP is good, but friends of ours were unable to get a site there yesterday. They went to nearby Fontainbleu
S.P. We have never been there, but I heard that it was badly mauled by Katrina. May have been fixed up by now.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
My brother in law stay here a month ago and love it, Land-o-Pines.

http://webspinnerdezines.com/camplop/

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
KOA East was washed out but is back in business and not a KOA anymore, a great little park we stayed at in Feb. and went to Mardigras from there. They had a shuttle van that takes you into N.O. and picks ya up, great folks there too! The Land o Pines is next door and looked great too. I for sure would not tow into N.O. on I-10, wow what a ride that would be!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We stayed at KOA West in our 3400RL, pulled by a crew cab F350 longbed. Absolutely adequate parking. The sites were almost double wide, cement, and level. When you drive up to the entrance you will ask yourself, "What am I doing in this neighborhood?" I specifically asked the host leading us to our site, and assisting with our back-in what the crime rate was in the park. He stated that they have no problems at all. I talked to others in the park and they stated the same. We toured NO and were comfortable with the RV parked at that CG.

If you do decide to take the rig into a CG in NO, be very, very careful on the inbound East I-10 to NO. It is a roller coaster ride and I slowed down to 25 MPH on the interstate and felt that was not slow enough. The west inbound I-10 is alright. Someone in the area could tell you if you can take your rig over the Pontchartrain bridge, as I don't know the conditions of that highway.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I believe Lakeside Park is in Livingston LA. If you stay there, there is a great BBQ place in Livingston, called Wayne's BBQ. Don't judge the place by the looks from the outside. If at all possible we stay there for that reason only....
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Pinecrest RV Park off I-10 just off Old Spanish Hwy in Slidell LA is okay.
Parked there last weekend in a "Pullthrough" site.
The pads and roads were not designed for over 30' RVs, so there were lots of ruts in the ground (it had just rained) and very careful maneuvering to get in and out. Also the entrance had a lot of potholes.
Office, Bathrooms, Laundry, refurbished and clean.Free Wi-Fi, but NO Cable TV.
Next exit off I-10/Oak Harbor has a great seafood place "Phil's Marina Cafe"
We drove through New Orleans one day(second I would not want to take an RV on I-10 West), having visited before, to visit the Laura Plantation and really enjoyed that.
Fontainbleau State Park is another good choice, just west of Slidell - but they were booked up and I didn't want to take a chance on the 2 unreserved sites being open.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
We just stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort. It's a ten minute walk to Bourbon St and a great place to stay if you want to take advantage of the New Orleans atmosphere.
Nick
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
We stayed in the koa west in kenner before katrina. not very far from the french quarter and a great campground then. big sites and concrete pads very nice. I think they are the closes to downtown. Just looked at their website still there.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks everyone for you suggestions. We arrived at the KOA on the west side last night and it seems like a nice campground for a city campground. We head into the French Quarter this morning and hoping for a good couple of days of site seeing.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
That is where we stayed. The drive in is not to reassuring, but the CG turned out to be real nice.

Enjoy the city.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote