Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
80 volts from frame to ground

I was just finishing up the JTs stabilizer install and grabbed one of the stablizers with my bare elbow on the damp grass and got jolted. I unplugged the shore power cord and finished the install and then went looking for the problem. No luck so far. I have pulled all the skirting screws and looked along the whole frame for a screw spiked wire, nothing.I found several pinched wires but no 120 volt wiring and I did unpinch them. Checked the shore power ground and that is good, both on the shore power cable and at the outlet. Any ideas? We will be stopping at the dealers on the way south mid week if I can't find the glitch... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Did you check the Shore Power for Reverse Polarity?
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
RATS!! no I didn't but am on garage 20 amp outlet and that just passed inspection but will go check. Some SOB hid my Wiggins Grrrr! Dave
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Did you pull your main power plug that is mounted in the trailer, the one where you plug in the shore power and check all the connections to be sure they are tight? Also ground wires in breaker panel and where ground connnects to frame. Had same problem, ground wire was loose in main power plug at shore power connection. Good luck--it is a wake up call to shake hands with the local power company.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Check and make sure you have a good grond at trailer recp. and at the panel inside. Sounds like a bad ground.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
You might try tripping all the breakers, and pull all the fuses and disconnect the battery, then check the frame to ground.
If not OK, recheck the ground to the house, some where there is a open ground. If this is OK, than start adding one or two at a time and check. Its a long process, but will usually find the circuit that is causing the problem.

I'd also suggest using a volt meter, its no fun testing with elbow to grass every time (only kidding).
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I had a similiar problem with my last trailer...it ended up that the water heater element was creating a short..the dog and I both got zapped..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I second sounds like bad ground
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I had that problem when I had a bad element in the water heater that was leaking through the water to ground.
I agree with Bob's suggestion of turning off all breakers, starting with the main, and then switching them on one by one until the problem occurs.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Thats what I am starting to think, I am plugged into an out building that was wired by the old guy that used to own this property and he was rumored to have been loony as a soup sandwich. His building skills were atrocious. I am scared to think what else is wrong in that little old house. I will drag the extension back to the sticks and bricks and try an outlet I know is good. It is dark and 34 outside right now and I want to get this remedied before I hit the road so if it is a trailer problem I can hit the dealer on the way south. Dave
Old 10-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Problem Solved! I had 80 volts from both the hot and the neutral to ground and 120 volts between neutral and hot. Have no idea how that outlet is wired and I really don't care at the moment, too cold to deal with right now. Thanks for the suggestions, I should have done that to begin with but haven't had to use my trouble shooting skills. The old KISS adage Keep It Simple Stupid.. Dave
Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Glad to hear that you isolated and ID'd the problem. At least you can head south w/satisfaction?!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote