Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Try finding a vet on the day before Easter

Yep, you got it, someone needed a vet, Mr. Gallagher and Miss Abby had a little face to face last night, well, actually Abby decided to put him in his place, like she tries to put everyone in their place, and she nipped him in the face, we believe he got in in the eye. At least that is how we THINK his eye got a little small scratch.

This happened last night, late, and I noticed it very late, a little blood in the corner of the eye and a bit of tears. He was hiding under the bed and in the little dog house they have here in Montana.

This AM we left Little Rock, it looked better. As the day went by, the eye looked worse again. Figures, here we are in the middle of farm county in Arkansas (pretty country, but, whew, very little population) and Missouri (even less population and again, very pretty country) and I need a vet the after noon before Easter.

We stopped in one place in Arkansas that was large enough to have a Walmart and asked the people there, they were SOOOOO nice to use, but there was no vet.

So, we just kept on driving arriving in Benton Illinois at the KOA, at about 5 PM. First thing I did was say, do you have a number for a vet, the owner here was very helpful, drew me a great map, and looked up the phone number. I immediaately called the vet, who was very sweet, asked a lot of questions, (I had talked to my own vet in Michigan while on the road in Arkansas) and said he could give me the meds my vet suggested, which was a antibiotic drop.

We had to unhook, this nice vet took our number and basically said, well, I am jumping in the shower, but get unhooked and come on over.

We did, got there, what a NICE NICE man, he looked at Gallagher quickly, gave me the meds, dropped in a dose and told me what to look for. No office charge, just a nominal fee for the meds.

SOOO, if you are even in the need of a vet while running 57 north and south in Illinois, we highly recommend Dr. Clark (believe that was his name, we were in and out of there so fast I hardly got his name), but he is in Benton Illinois and the people here at the KOA know him.

I usually travel with a full medicine/emergency kit for the 4 kids, but this is one med I have not had before, I won't leave home without it again.

SIGHHH

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Sorry to hear that the kids are misbehaving, but on the bright side you found a vet that you could see quickly. A scatch on the eye isn't something that can really wait for a four legged or two legged critter.

Isn't it great that there are vets out there that don't punch a time clock. I am fortunate to have a clinic that helps out when I need them 24/7, they know that when I call them that I need attention ASAP.

Keep us posted on your pup.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Colleen, it is such a joy in life to find someone like this vet. His office and home are across the driveway from each other. We remarked how outstanding it was of him, and he said, maybe you will remember Benton (YOU BETCHS!!)

My vet is the same way as yours, he was doing an emergency surgery this afternoon when I called, as soon as he finished it, he called me back and gave me his advice! And, I have called late at night, same thing.

Yep a good vet is a WONDERFUL thing to have!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
We were sorry to hear about Mr.Gallagher and Ms.Abby!! I guess it just goes to show us that all KIDS act up every now and then. Mr. Gallagher should know by now not to mess with Ms. Abby. We were glad to hear that you found such a nice vet in the area. Hope that everyone is doing better.
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Carol,

Sorry to read about Mr Gallagher's mishap and that Abby was having a bad day.

It was great that you were able to find a vet and one that was so accommodating. We used to have a wonderful vet but he passed away. Just before our dear Bailey died we had found another wonderful veterinary group. Still no one will replace our old vet as he was one in a million or so I thought. Looks like you came across a close match in Illinois.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Patty,

HAHA, Abby thought she was having a good day! Al said tonight, he has never seen such a dog, more stubborn than, ohhhh, 4 of em should be! She has to be alpha and remind them of said fact now and then. She now has Gallagher hiding under the futon. Gessshhh!

Marge, I am sure Mr. G will be fine. Now Abby?? She thinks all is great with the world, she figures she showed him! Poor Mr. G, all he did was jump up on the futon.

OH, Happy Easter to All!
Old 04-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

HAHA, Abby thought she was having a good day!
My, my I guess that's why you told me what you did about the lady pups huh? LOL

Quote:
quote:Al said tonight, he has never seen such a dog, more stubborn than, ohhhh, 4 of em should be!
She sounds much like my eldest daughter.

Quote:
quote:She has to be alpha and remind them of said fact now and then. She now has Gallagher hiding under the futon. Gessshhh!
Oh, poor Gallagher. He wanted to get on the futon and now he has to be under it. I hope his fears don't last long? Give him a extra pet from me. My sibs used to push me around a beat me up when I was a kid.

Take care,
Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
It's somewhat comical to think of alpha female in a 'wolf' that weighs less than four # but.... the mentality is still there, no matter how small the package... Lucky for me Maddy moose (weight over 90#) understands well who the alpha in this house is, otherwise obedience might be somewhat problematic.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Carol, Isn't that always the way it goes? Glad it all worked out. Safe and boring dog travels to you.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, just like kids, human kids, they get sick at the most wonderful times, holidays and such. Gallagher's eye looks better to me, and he has actually ventured out from under the futon a time or two. He is still staying a LONG way away from Abby! SIGH

Kim, I will take BORING!! ohhhh yea!!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Carol, sure glad things worked out for you.
We will probably be traveling with some OLD pets when we hit the road, so I have been watching posts all over the internet for suggestions. One I found said that the lady always searched the internet, as part of her trip planning, for vets in the area where they would be staying and kept that information in their emergency information packet, just in case.
That wouldn't help when moving along, like you were, but it's a good idea.
We plan to also make sure the campground gets any information we come up with if they don't have a vet contact already, so they can help others in the future.
Good luck with the "family."
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Larry,

That is a very good idea. I sorta did that when we were in the Valley for so long. All the kids eat special vet food, cannot buy from the grocery store. In years past I have purchased enough for 3 or 4 months and hauled it along. Whew, it is heavy and takes up a lot of room. This year, I privately contacted several MOC members I knew were in the Valley and had pets and asked for recommendations for a vet. Called down there ahead of time and asked a lot of questions, like will you honor my prescriptions, or are you gonna make me bring the dog in and charge me a office call (they do that in Virginia by the way). They said they would honor scrips. So, I had my vet write scrips and print out a complete history on each animal. Purchased dog food as needed, saved alot of room in Montana, which I used for craft and books and the bread machine.

But after this little incident I just might do what that lady did. It is a good idea!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Vet that Carol is referring to in the Valley is Mission Vet Hospital. We had to use them after Thanksgiving for our old dog.. and thanks to them he's still with us,as he is now 17 yrs,old.

Mary
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Carol, great idea about having prescriptions ready and checking out how the vets "use" them! Also, the idea of having a complete health history printed out to take with you.
April and I planned to have that for the two of us, but hadn't thought of having it for the pets. Great tip. Thanks.
Larry
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I forgot to include this site I found while researching. Check it out. I found it correct for my location.

FIND A VET ANYWHERE:

To find a Vet or Animal Hospital:
American Animal Hospital Assn 1-800-252-2242 or
www.healthypet.com

Larry
Old 04-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Larry for the URL, I will be checking that out.

In the Commonwealth of Virginia it is a law that a vet cannot FILL a prescription for your pet UNLESS he sees the vet. Office call on top of the scrip bill. OH, that will be $45.00 so I can look at your cute pet and agree that your vet knew what he was doing when he wrote the scrip for cute pet.

I did without the food (scrip food), we were only a few days without.

Anyone know, if they have a URL with laws by state that would cover that kind of thing. It was very upsetting when it happened and it was ONLY food. I cannot imagine how upset I would have been if it had been something real serious, like meds for some ongoing condition???
Old 04-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Good idea the website on finding a vet anywhere. Thanks and I saved that link.
I carry a binder notebook with copies of our Schnauzer's histories. Every shot or vet visit, I make copies and put in that notebook. So everything is current. Also have the cat's medical history and shot records in there.
We had to find a vet last summer in Missouri while on vacation. We were near a small city so found one that was recommended by a friend. Bonnie is find now.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dustytuu,

Nice looking fur kids! Hmmm, I see the kitty is standing out front, stealing the show!

I looked at that link as well, hope it is a new site and that they add new vets. Mine at the stick built is not there, in fact, none in my county were there. So, helpful, by all means, but limited, SIGHHHHH!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
At 17 pounds the cat sits anywhere he wants! Only a pound difference between him and Lucylou and 2 pounds less than Bonnie.
He will cat wash the dogs! They don't mind, but they look at him funny.

Our vet at the stick house is not on there either.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote