Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Furnace upgrade

If I was given a choice from the dealership, I would have gone with a 2 stage heat Propane furnace.
I have looked around and can't find a high efficiency Propane RV furnace, not a direct-flame hot air furnace, they do make the tank-less that works with heat, expensive, only used in Robbie's 'A' Fan coil units spread around the RV.
They do make the 2 stage furnace, it goes from high flame and high speed for quick warm-up to low flame and low speed for gentle fan and more comfort. I think the actual furnace is still only around 65-70% efficient. If I had the money, I would develop one and offer it on the market. I bet seasoned RV'ers would snap them up when buying a new unit. I think my cost would be around $500-600 aftermarket, but when ordering a new unit, probably would only cost $300-400 more, if that.
If I sell a few Central air's this Summer, I just may buy one and install it in my rig.

Their Blurb:
RV Furnaces by Atwood (Hydro Flame) are revolutionary furnaces with advanced technology featuring two stage heating.

Cost-Efficient-Saving Fuel
Reduces Noise
Unique 2-Stage System
Easy Installation
Digital Thermostat included
This 2-Stage System allows you to choose your desired temperature and let the furnace continually monitor your comfort level-automatically! Operating on High BTU, High Fan for quick, quiet warm up, the furnace will automatically switch to low BTU, Low Fan to maintain the desired temperature.

Self Diagnostic Capability - Designed for long life and easy maintenance, the Excalibur XT includes built in self-diagnostics to save you time and money. Indicating a variety of troubleshooting from low or improper voltage input to module failure, a flashing L.E.D. will indicate any complications.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like a great idea. If you do it I'll be interested in your review. Must be the current cold weather that's got you thinking about furnaces. It was -18 and -13 both mornings we were at the Grand Canyon if that makes you feel warmer. By the end of this week it looks like you'll be interested in upgraded vent fans and AC units shouldn't be far behind, so hang in there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
would it have to fit the sane footprint?
also wasn't the part about tankless?
actually i was wondering why you haven't tackled water pump noise in a comprehensive fix yet
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Ozz when engineering a new unit also think quiet that is my negitive with an RV Furnace
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Ozz while you are at it, starting working on a radiant floor heating system for RV's!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Ozz, sounds like the wheels are turning. I thought one time about putting in a electric rv water heater and radiant floor heat tubing in the basement to both keep the belly warm and giving floor heat.
As to a trwo stage unit as you propose, would the belly duct work need to be a larger size for volume and effective two stage operation?
Either way, there sure could be major improvements in the furnace that is used now, both new build and replacement or upgrade. Let us know what your thinkning as the wheels turn please.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
ozz what about perpetual motion, care to share
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Heck, some mornings I can't find my socks, all this new stuff may be a reach..

OK, the radiant floor is doable with electric heat. You just put the heater mat down, then use the wood flooring over it. They make that already. The hot water heat would have to be direct contact, so I don't think we could do that, also, it would negate the 'No freeze' deal, we need the warm air into the bottom.
As for the 2 stage and ducting, we have the ducting size for high heat, low heat would work well with existing ductwork.
The noise would be cut in half (I am guessing) with a low speed fan and low burner.
I noticed this morning early, the furnace blasts hot air, then cuts off, it gets cool, then it blasts on again.
The 2 stage heat would work like a dream, blast, then not so much blast..
The footprint would be the same...I am guessing, but I think they stated that in their 'Blurb' or on the web-site.
The Tank-less is just water heater, and or heating with fan coils or under the floor piping (That would have to be factory done.)
and..... I have the perpetual no-motion nailed, I just sit on the couch and ask Sue to bring me a beer and some nuts....
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Would that include a new digital thermostat to provide the 2-speed controls?
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, it comes with a new thermostat. Pretty sharp there, Cowboy..
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Ken Ralston
Established Member

M.O.C. #10932
Keep working on it OZZ Sure would be nice for them to do something diff I have been burning 13 to 14 gallons of propane a week here. Furnas kicks on about every 6 min whether it is set on 60 or 70 we never run it in the day. Maybe I need to go to electric but I think when the basement is cold the whole trailer is cold this 2006 wasn't made to be out in the cold. Or Maybe 1000 miles further South would help.
Ken Ralston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ken, I think we are in for some nice warm weather now, so maybe we can give the furnaces a rest. Glad you are enjoying our RV park here in Tonopah. Thanks for the tip on the Mexican restaurant, I will look into that!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Jim,

I am not sure where you are but if you have 30 amp service you might look at installing heat strips in the air conditioners. I installed it in both air-conditioners and I am able to run both off of 30 amp service.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Jim,

I am not sure where you are but if you have 30 amp service you might look at installing heat strips in the air conditioners. I installed it in both air-conditioners and I am able to run both off of 30 amp service.
We tried that with our Keystone Sprinter, for me, it was too much noise and the heat was high up, not down low where we liked it.
I have the Grainger's built-in electric heater that is smokin' hot and so quiet you can't hear the fan. We try to use Propane, as it is so much cheaper.