Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Dog License Question

As we are preparing for our escape to full timing, I have a question regarding dog licenses. We have two Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers with city dog licenses....what do you do when you are full timing regarding the license? Is it required in all states or if you carry their health/vaccination records is that sufficient? If we change our state of domicile to Texas or SD should we license the dogs there as well?

Thanks in advance.....

Betty and Paul

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have been fulltiming for three years and carry our dog and cat. We do not license them in any state or city, BUT do make sure we have proof of vacinnes. Some places require the rabies ore often than two years. I think it depends on the vacinne available in that state....Usually only comes into play if we take them to a vet for checkup or care....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
The MOC rules!!!!! Thank you so much, that's what I hoped was the answer, not that it's a big expense just thought it would be a big nuisance. I knew we had to carry their vaccine history and that's not a problem, will schedule their annual checkups for when we are back in the area to visit kids and grandkids.

Once again, thank you and I'm sure I'll be coming up with other questions as this process continues. Right now, we are getting nervous about how fast the time is flying....we are in the process of getting the S&B ready for sale and getting rid of stuff....can't believe how much there is!!!!

Betty & Paul
Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Betty, it goes faster than you think, but when you're snug in the Big Sky and on the road it will fade like a distant memory!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
The state of Texas has rules about rabies, and require that you carry proof that your pet is current on the rabies shots. All pets have to have a series of rabies shots (two within one year) without a lapse of time in between and then they have to have them every three years. That is the rule in Hays county. There are some counties that require that you have a rabies shot every year. Each county in the state of Texas can have different time requirements. My guess is that it depends on the number of rabies cases reported in the area. When your pet gets a rabies shot in a county it is registered with the county, but not the state. It would be great to get a health certificate ( the type that you have to have to ship a pet on an airline). If you were sending the pet overseas you have to have them in quarantine for 90 days after the rabies shot and then a blood test is run. Again this changes from country to country too. The health certificate would be great traveling from state to state.

This is the phone number for the Texas Health Dept (512) 458-7111

Here is the link for requirments for rabies. http://<a href="http://www.aphis.usd...s.usda.gov</a>

Hope this helps.

Colleen

On edit I posted two shots in one year. I meant one shot a year for two years in a row, and there after every three years.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
I am new to the Montana but I am OLD to traveling with multiple dogs! I have bred and shown Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers for 37 years and Cavaliers for 1 year. I also used to work part time for a vet for several years. When it comes to vaccination, things are changing. The overvaccination of our pets has been shown to be directly connected to many immune system problems now showing up in our beloved companions. Please stay informed and talk with your vet. You will readily see which ones are up to date and which ones are not! I have included several links to give you more detailed information. You will learn that there are more accurate ways to prove the level of immunity that your dogs have - especially running bloodwork called titres.

Legislation is slowly catching up to current knowledge so stay informed! Remember, you are the owner of the dog and you want to provide it with the best care!

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2008/10/22/titer-test/

http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/Vaccinate

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adob...cReactions.pdf

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODD...-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Best wishes - Lynne, current owner of 3 Wheatens and 4 Cavaliers!
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Lynne:

Thank you so much for the information and links...really appreciated it. We just absolutely love our "Wheatons"...... they are just the best.....great companions and such fun! They are Boyd and Kelly and are 8 and 7 yrs old, and they love camping.... we took a ride on Sunday up to check on our 'Big Sky", and of course we brought them and as soon as we got them out of the truck, they knew where they were! Amazing,...

Now for another question, what is a Cavalier???? Don't think I've heard of them......

Do all of your dogs travel with you?????

Thanks again for the info.....

Betty
Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't have personal experience in this area but I believe that the important thing is that you have a record of all vaccinations with you. In the event someone would get "nipped" by your pet, this proof will really come in handy.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Hi Betty,

Yes, we have traveled with all of them but my furry family is changing now.

Wheatens are great! Mine are 11, 11 and 10 so they are getting old. The two oldsters are both in poor health - cancer in one and old age cataracts in the other - and won't be with me for long, unfortunately. They don't handle traveling very well right now and stay with a friend when we go somewhere - less stressful for them. The 10 year old is in love with my niece who is in need of a good buddy right now due to issues in her own life. This partnership was meant to be and I need to understand that. They will thrive with one another. So, at some point in the near future, I will be wheaten-less!

That is where the Cavaliers come in. They are small and very easy to live with. They, too, are a great breed and fit well with this old lady! Traveling with all of them is a breeze. We even took them to NY with us as we went on the subway to Manhattan, visited Ground Zero, walked down 5th Ave. and went to the Today Show. They were super! Here is a link that will show you what they are like.
http://www.ackcsc.org/

So, by the time that our Montana is here and outfitted and we have gone on a few short trips to try everything out, I will be down to just the little guys. Perhaps we can meet somewhere and I can play with your Wheatens. I will always love the breed!

Best - Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Lynne:

I am so sorry to hear about your Wheaties, I will pray for them, these furry kids weave themselves into your life and heart and when it's time for them to go we have found it just as painful as losing a human family member. I did go check out the information on the Cavaliers, oh my God, they are so beautiful and cuddly.... do they have hair or fur??? The reason we have Wheatons is their hair, I have dog allergies and they were on the list for people with allergies, my DH didn't want a lap dog...so no poodles etc.....we found Boyd and fell in love with him, and had to get him a playmate so now we have two. I would love to have you play with my kids anytime....as we are just beginning our camping life....hopefully will have the house sold and can do this full time. We are going to attend the Mid Atlantic Region MOC Rally in August..so who knows...

Thanks for the info and we wish you all the best with your Wheaties.

Betty & Paul