Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #21
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yessir bigmurf, they are identical twins

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have several sewer hoses of varying lengths. I installed connecters on each so if one doesn't reach I just pull out another and it's a quick connect.

I wouldn't mind standard location for utilities but obviously that will never happen. Other than that, I prefer variety from campsite to campsite.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup. Steve. I think we all have a collection of hoses and adapters to add and add and add. I only complain when I run out even after all that! I ran out of sewer hose support and didn't want 10' of hose lying on the ground... whine, whine, whine.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, my point is the connectors for my hoses stay attached even when not in use so I can connect them without having to screw in or screw on connectors. I probably have around 80 or 90 feet of sewer hose, in total. That's probably enough!

In case you're not aware, and if your rig has the rear sewer compartment at the rear corner, the one with a door, the same space on the opposite side is a compartment just needing an access door. I added a door there for additional hoses. The door, by the way, that Keystone used on ours is the same door used on the older models for the outside shower. The door costs somewhere around $25 or $35 and is not difficult to install. Just cut the hole, drill the holes to attach the door, seal it good, and screw it on. Steves discovered this at one of our rallys when he had electric rear stabilizers installed and showed me the compartment. You do have to be careful not to cut too low. Mine is **almost** too low.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
What a great idea! I can save a lot of room in my front "Garage" if I do this.

Thanks for the pictorial. Do you think if I measured the original side and mirrored it on the other side, that the hole should be positioned just right? I see what you mean on the lowness of your door. It would be easier if the door is higher to allow the items to drop into place as opposed to placing them in an upwards position.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Maybe the Rv manufacturers should standardize the campers.Placement of the power outlet, side , rear,middle. Sewer outlet Right side, left side. Toward the front, toward he back, Water outlets, ETc.. IMO the campgrounds are getting better and the campers ae getting worse. We pull into the campsite then position the truck so that the slides can come out, Th power cable, sewer and water lines fit. Sometimes it is a impossable task.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

What a great idea! I can save a lot of room in my front "Garage" if I do this.

Thanks for the pictorial. Do you think if I measured the original side and mirrored it on the other side, that the hole should be positioned just right? I see what you mean on the lowness of your door. It would be easier if the door is higher to allow the items to drop into place as opposed to placing them in an upwards position.
I give no guarantees, but that's essentially what I did. If you cut too high, there was something in the way. Without going out to look, I forgot what. A brace or something, if I recall. It should be the same on both sides. You could always drop the corner of the bellypan and use a flashlight to see up in there. Just like the other side, there are openings to the outside that allow for ventilation for smelly hoses. That panel you cut for the door is aluminum, by the way. Easy to cut.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #28
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I, for one, am very happy that there is no standardization of campsites. I don't want to go from one place to another that is exactly the same. I am very happy to travel to new places and CGs. It is always an adventure to see how things are setup in a CG. We have enough 'standarization' in our world. Let's not make all CGs the same. Give me some diversity.

I am smart enough to learn that I need to carry varying lengths of sewer hose, water hose, and electric cord; Along with many of the various connectors that might be needed. That is actually part of the 'fun' and 'adventure' of RVing. Note that I did not say that I actually CARRY all the necessary items ----- only that I think I can learn how to setup at various CGs.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

I, for one, am very happy that there is no standardization of campsites. I don't want to go from one place to another that is exactly the same. I am very happy to travel to new places and CGs. It is always an adventure to see how things are setup in a CG. We have enough 'standarization' in our world. Let's not make all CGs the same. Give me some diversity.

I am smart enough to learn that I need to carry varying lengths of sewer hose, water hose, and electric cord; Along with many of the various connectors that might be needed. That is actually part of the 'fun' and 'adventure' of RVing. Note that I did not say that I actually CARRY all the necessary items ----- only that I think I can learn how to setup at various CGs.

HamRad
Hear, hear. What a bland world this would be for us if everything was the same, no matter where we went. Where would be the sense of adventure, of looking forward to what's around the bend?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have..really do.. 75 feet of power cable...25 feet of 50 amp an two 25 foot sections of 30 amp and every adapter you can think of. 150 foot of water hose and a least 50 foot of sewer line... think more. We do a lot of rallies at fairgrounds and have used every foot of all that stuff. The newer C.G's and those that upgrade are becoming standardized with the utilities at the rear of the camper. Such is life>>...
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #31
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I agree that much of the freedoms of campgrounds is their variety of offerings in types of facilities, number of sites, site locations, and even locale, but just like stickhouses, there are NUMEROUS codes that MUST be met regarding sewer, plumbing and other things that we have learned to take for granted. I think that asking for only 25 ft between all connections (after all the rigs can only be 40-45 ft long and that's it!), unlike stick homes that can be numerous sizes.

Even if the rigs do not standardize their connections, they still fall into the maximum size and the owners buy products to compensate, but if a CG connection exceeds even the maximum length of a rig, I think that is inconsiderate. I guess that's another thing I'll have to measure when getting to a camp site, even though other campsites in the same campground are fine. As a consideration they should at least post a sign to warn an unsuspecting guest especially if they arriving at night. It takes long enough to set up and if we could eliminate the extra surveying time, it would be nice.

It's no worse than expecting the CG facilities to have toilets, lavatories, faucets and even showers within close proximity WITHIN it's associated building, and they provide that. Then most CGs have multiple facilities of the same sort throughout the CG. This does not detract from the freedoms of the CG offerings nor where the CG is located.

Oh well, there has been a lot of good stuff said and I am not expecting a campground to change just because of what I think. They will have their reasons and opinions too. I will add surveyor to my job description for RV setup. If it helps me enjoy my rig and locale, I will gladly do it.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I really have no problem with these non-standard CGs. I consider it a challenge to completely hook up everything with the stuff I carry. If, in the worst case scenario, I am successful I give myself a huge pat on the back. If not I head for the nearest RV store and add the necessary items to my inventory.

AS far as Rich's idea
Quote:
quote:Maybe the RV manufacturers should standardize the campers.Placement of the power outlet, side , rear,middle. Sewer outlet Right side, left side. Toward the front, toward he back, Water outlets, ETc..
I would not want such a rig. The RV industry has enough problems getting everything working and continue working without adding more possibilities and, if they could, there ain't no way I would want to pay that extra cost.

BTW-Iffn you guys at Montana are reading this please disregard Rich's idea on this one.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am of course just fooling around with this.We can make most anything work...But....If you take note of the newer 5th wheels you may note that they are standardizing the utility connections. I think Montana has aleady....done it.... Every campground one day will look like a holiday inn. Everything in exactly the same place right down to the potted plants. Wait a minute I just described a KOA campground.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #34
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rich,
I don't like to admit this but we've stayed at KOA a few times. And I have yet to see one that is the same. Everyone of the ones we've stayed at all had a different setup.

But if things keep going the way they seem to be going it won't be long till they all look exactly the same. How sad.

Another thing we've done while on the road is to NOT eat at McDonald's or any of the other fast food places. We always try to find the best places in town where the locals eat.

So far this has worked great. I don't think we've gotten one really bad meal.

Let's hear if for diversity!

Later,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #35
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have very limited experience with KOAs but, if I recall, the ones I have stayed at were all different. I avoid KOAs whenever possible. In an area you may find 4 seperate CGs one of which is a KOA. More often than not the KOA is higher priced. Ask them why such a high price their standard is "look at all the amenities". I could careless if they have a swimming pool, bath houses, playroom etc. Unless it's a rally, we rarely use the CG for anything more than a place to park the Monty. We spend the days sightseeing and the nights sleeping.

As far as "Every campground one day will look like a holiday inn. Everything in exactly the same place right down to the potted plants." Not in our lifetime. Not even the KOAs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote