Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Dodge versus Reese

I'm sure this was covered back in 2003 but can't seem to find anything about it.
I want to have my Reese 15K sliding hitch installed in my new '06 Dodge short box. Local RV facility refuses to install it using the "L' brackets because they require drilling holes in the frame. Dodge had a TSB back in 2003 saying warranty was voided if holes were drilled. The installer maintains that Reese has never provided an "around the frame" type of bracket. I find it hard to believe Reese has turned their back on the Dodge market.
Whats the solution? (I did try to call Reese but they were closed for the day).

Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I have a copy of a bulletin (which I can't find right now)from Dodge that tells the approved method to drill holes for mounting my hitch on my 2004 Dodge. If I can find it I will PM to you
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My 03 has the Reese 20K hitch. The dealer had to order special mounting brackets. The difference is the brackets mount to the side of the tub frame (holes drilled through the side) then the L bracket lets the hitch mount through the bed. This was the mod from Dodge. They did not want you drilling from the bed down (top to bottom) through the tub frame.
Good luck and tow safe.
Cheers
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I had a 03 Dodge and like John, the dealer installed the hitch using brackets on the sides of the frame. The brackets were welded to the frame instead of using bolts. I would like to suggest you consider upgrading to a 16K hitch. The 15k's have a sliding bar and I always had trouble releasing it. I now have a 16K which is easier to use and operates smoother.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Thanks for your replys.
After talking to my Dodge dealer, the Reese technical support line and the potential installer at great length today I think we finally found the solution.
First let me say that I have been very pleased with the work at this particular RV facility in recent years. Unfortunately they interpret Dodge's TSB as saying if they drill holes or weld on the frame they become responsible if there were any problems with the frame in the future.
But evidently Reese has come up with a custom installation kit that bolts to the frame using existing holes. The installer is still skeptical but agreed to order it and if no new holes are required he'll do the installation.
If anybody is interested the Reese part number is 50040 for the kit and costs around $270.00.
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
I don't remember if any holes were drilled in my frame, but the reese kit is for the new style Dodge frame. The frame is tubular and they don't want a bolt to go through both sides of the frame and squeeze it when tightened. The kit includes a spring with a long wire to fish bolts through the inside of the frame.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote