Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #21
Bertha

M.O.C. #17917
Not cheap but the best. https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #22
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The Swagman e-spec bike rack gusset appears larger and beefier. Folks have provided some good alternatives to carrying bikes on the rear of the trailer. However the OP specifically asked about that specific scenario and now should have several options.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #23
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Best Bike rack: Kuat Racks - holds e-bikes, lifetime warranty, tilts, locks onto receiver, includes lock to lock bikes to rack.
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #24
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok I gotta ask. How do you get the bikes off of a pin box if your truck isn't backed up to the trailer?? That just seems like an extremely unhandy place for bikes to be? Particularly when it is time to load or unload the bikes? I'm 6'2" and could manage to lift a bike up but sure seems like a recipe for a sore back? I don't even like lifting them to put in a truck bed much less 6' off the ground. I really don't understand the appeal of that mounting location? I have seen it done but I honestly don't understand it.

Seems like all the other options put the bikes just a foot or so off the ground and the front or rear bumper of the tow vehicle means they are already in place to tote around with you even when your unhitched. You know for that ride around the beach town 50 miles from the campsite.........

Oh there is one other option no one mentioned although it is only slightly better than the pin box idea. You can carry the bikes inside the trailer. Particularly if you get one of those front tire holders. We had friends that did that on their older camper. And even further off the topic, you can do the same with kayaks.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #25
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn6363 View Post
Best Bike rack: Kuat Racks - holds e-bikes, lifetime warranty, tilts, locks onto receiver, includes lock to lock bikes to rack.
Interesting that the user guide explicitly states not to be used on an RV or trailered vehicle

http://www.kuatonline.com/media/prod...user-guide.pdf

Also I see plenty of folks with roof mounted bike carriers as well.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #26
Cadent59
Established Member

M.O.C. #21433
I saw this concept on on another 5er once, and i think this is a way I would like to carry my bikes.....

There are more pics on this site;
https://www.rvillage.com/blogs/17731...x-bike-carrier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike rack.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	3969  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #27
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
When turning a very sharp corner where you are 90 degrees to your trailer are you going to hit the cab of your truck with the bikes? It says my Swagman should not be used with 5th wheel, but it has worked well for over 7 yrs traveling the U.S. and down to Arizona with no problems.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #28
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have been carrying mine on my pin box mount for years. Yes, I have to lift the bikes into the truck bed, then step up into the bed (using my tailgate step), then set the bikes on the hitch. But not a problem for me. It keeps the bikes up out of the way and safe when I do not plan to use them (as in overnight stops), and there is no bouncing on the pin box as there might be on the rear of the trailer.

Many people drill mounting holes in the pin box and some calculate angles to cut and weld up the pieces of iron. I went a simpler method and just used the pin box bolts to mount the frame since that is already level. I would prefer to have a bike rack that holds the wheels, but I used what I already had. But since there is no bouncing, hanging from the frame is not a problem. I can carry three adult bikes without hitting the cab on a turn on my long bed. I think I can carry four bikes but have not tried it yet. A short bed would be more limiting.

That is 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron and a $20 12" long receiver from Harbor Freight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	3970   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch7A.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	3971   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch6.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	3972  
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I have been carrying mine on my pin box mount for years. Yes, I have to lift the bikes into the truck bed, then step up into the bed (using my tailgate step), then set the bikes on the hitch. But not a problem for me. It keeps the bikes up out of the way and safe when I do not plan to use them (as in overnight stops), and there is no bouncing on the pin box as there might be on the rear of the trailer.

Many people drill mounting holes in the pin box and some calculate angles to cut and weld up the pieces of iron. I went a simpler method and just used the pin box bolts to mount the frame since that is already level. I would prefer to have a bike rack that holds the wheels, but I used what I already had. But since there is no bouncing, hanging from the frame is not a problem. I can carry three adult bikes without hitting the cab on a turn on my long bed. I think I can carry four bikes but have not tried it yet. A short bed would be more limiting.

That is 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron and a $20 12" long receiver from Harbor Freight.
Nice set up
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack