Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #161
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Do these problems seem to be related to a certain model year, certain tire size or just the tires in general. Leaving on about a 2000 mile round trip next month and have other things to worry about besides brand new tires on a brand new 5th wheel, like how I'm gonna pay for all that diesel.

maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #162
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I too would appreciate it if a member could summarize the bottom line on this Mission Tire recall thread. Our RV is 3 hours away right now so can't go look at our Mission tires but will be picking it up next week so would like to address this issue while I'm at the dealer. The 16 pages of discussion here probably cover all this but my head starts to spin trying to figure out what the bottom line is. Any help wou;d be appreciated. Our 5th wheel is a late 2006 Montana 3400RL. We too will be leaving on a 1600 mile one way trip to Phoenix next month and if there is something that needs to be done I need to get on it now.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #163
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
My opinion; if you have Mission tires, have them replaced. Our tires didn't have any cracks that I could find. Yet one went off like a bomb. If the dealer won't replace them, call Tireco and tell them you want them replaced. Number is 1-800-937-9433.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #164
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Who is Tireco? Are they the Mission tire company subsidiary that is responsible in the US?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #165
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
You must work through tirco to get anyplace ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #166
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

Who is Tireco? Are they the Mission tire company subsidiary that is responsible in the US?
They are the importer of the Chinese bombs (Mission tires).
Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #167
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Let me try again to try to get to the bottom of this:
1.) Is there an official Mission Tire recall?

If So:
2.) What specific tires are part of the recall?
3.) What are the financial arrangments of the recall?
4.) How do we Mission Tire owners proceed to satisfy the recall requirments?

I'm trying to get to the bare facts here.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #168
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

Let me try again to try to get to the bottom of this:
1.) Is there an official Mission Tire recall?

If So:
2.) What specific tires are part of the recall?
3.) What are the financial arrangments of the recall?
4.) How do we Mission Tire owners proceed to satisfy the recall requirments?

I'm trying to get to the bare facts here.
There is no official recall that I know of. Seems most folks end up with some out of pocket expense for mounting and balancing. What they have done when you request the Missions be replaced is ship more Chinese tires; Freestars. If you inspect the tires, and they are cracked tell Tireco that. If not, I would merely tell them I was aware of the problems with the Missions, and could not comfortably tow the RV on the Mission tires. Or, you can simply replace the tires at your expense, and try to get Tireco to reimburse you. You will probably be out some cash here too. JMHO
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #169
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Will,

Thanks for the added info. Since there isn't a formal recall has there been a central repository of Montana Owner mission tire failures been established to prepare for a eventual class action legal effort? I've tried to read through all 17 pages of this thread and so far have been unable to determine if there is a range of date codes that seem to be problem tires or whether it is all Mission Tires if they show cracks. It would seem to me that all tires , no matter what brand will show cracks as they age. I guess I'm trying to prepare what the magic words are to tell Tireco when I call in so that Tireco takes the most beneficial action for my situation. Also for those that have had actual Mission tire failures that resulted in additional RV damage, has Tireco paid for those repairs as well? I'm having real trouble getting my hands around the scope and exposure of this situation. I've just put new Michelin's on my truck which was a big outlay and do not want to have to be exposed to that kind of financial hit on the RV plus maybe more expensive damage and financial exposure if I don't get this taken care of properly. I'm very happy with the Michelin's I just put on the truck and have confidence in them. However, they were a big cash outlay. But if they was a way to get Michelin's on the RV with a minimal outlay that might be the route I would take to create some piece of mind.

What I just cannot fathom from this whole thread is that the Tireco Mission Tires cannot be a "little bit pregnant". Either they have a real tire problem or they don't. Only replacing the tires that users complain about seems like a chicken [edited] approach and one that leaves the legal liability door open for them that you could drive the Queen Mary through. But I have observed Keystone Montana put themselves in a similar position in regards to other weaknesses/failures and open to ancillary damages. There must be some legal loophole Keystone and/or Tireco can use to limit their liability. Otherwise this whole thread and other lack of Keystone/Montana recalls for other pervasive failures makes no sense to me. Or is it because we Montana owners haven't been able to get our collective act together and create the proper pressure on the manufacturers or start a class action suit? I'm just dumbfounded by our lack of collective and organized action. Or are we just "lay down and take it" victims? I'm really confused and dismayed by this whole lack of coordinated action. I think it is time for us to contact our lawyers. Something just doesn't compute here.

Dean,

The MOC Forum is NOT a class action forum. We are simply providing a convenient outlet for folks to share their Montana RVing experiences. This is also NOT a "bashing" forum. If you and others wish to take further action please do so on another forum or other avenue. Thank you.

RVWheels
Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #170
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
In response to the editor -- RVWheels. I would like to ask the following question: What other forum is better than this one to get our message communicated? I understand the concern and won't use this as a Class Action forum but somehow we owners (multiple) who are dealing with the same pervasive and continual problems with our Montana Units and need to be able to express ourselves freely so others are aware of them and as a result share solutions. But equally important are those that read the messages on this forum before they purchase a Montana. If this forum is limited to a Pollyanna communication environment we are doing a disservice to all involved including the manufacturer. I will try to limit my communication to describing the problems and solutions we have experienced. But I think it is only fair to all involved to do that extensively and honestly.

Dean,

You have been around long enough to know that the MOC Forum is not just a Pollyanna communications environment. The fact that your posts continue to be available should be proof of that! As to which forum would be best for what you are trying to accomplish I have no idea. That is up to you. In the meantime please continue to share your concerns with the members of MOC.

RVWheels
Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #171
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dean..I understand your frustration. We belong to other RV forums, RV net, Open roads for example and this type of problem is typical of the RV industry. We also see no concentrated effort by RV owners to address the issue and as long as we,the owners do nothing, nothing will change. Although frustrated myself I see this forum as a source for information on issues but not the the platform to initiate something like a class action suit or any legal action. The NSTB is IMO the place to report safety issues such as the Mission tire issue which is a issue across any RV forum.If enough RV owners reported issues to the NSTB action would be taken.The NSTB has great clout in the areas that effect safety.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #172
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dean, I am one of those that had my tires replaced by Tireco. I did not suffer trailer damage as I had the Pressure Pro Tire Pressure monitoring system installed and was alerted when the tires blew and was able to pull over right away (Southbound on the Alaska Highway). It seems that many others have had problems also, however, having said that, one must remember that the MOC is just a small microcosm of the Montana or Keystone family and to be able to place a "real" number on the extent of the problem is nye impossible. I have seen figures from the Admin of MOC that out of 8700 some numbers the actual number of active posters is somewhere around 200-400, don't quote me on this... I think some of these companies play the odds and hope that not everyone will have a problem with a certain component, the Apollo oven comes to mind. I believe there are a certain number of "duds" in any product produced, our problem is we Do Not Know the full extent of the problem and probably never will. Many folks who buy a trailer do not use them enough each year to detect certain problems, so the problems can go undetected for many years before they rear their ugly heads.

My suggestion to you is that you inspect the tires very closely for any cracks or anomalies, including slight bulges that look suspect, then call Tireco and report it and follow their advice. Secondly, if you need to travel, I would suggest the Pressure Pro Tire monitoring system, a good idea, regardless of the brand of tires you travel on. I, personally, will leave the legal issues to the more informed as I agree with RV Wheels that this is not the proper forum for that.

Lastly, enjoy your rig as we have and be safe...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #173
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I beleive that this forum is also a place to share any safety isues that we as Montana owners have experienced. And we should continue to do so without restriction.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #174
windquest2

M.O.C. #8811
First of all I want to say thank you to each and everyone of the posters, you have opened our eyes and we have made a decision thanks to this and other forums. We will not buy any trailer with China tires. If the company or dealer won't give a fair trade out, we will buy from those that will. If Keystone is the company that is really interested in customer service, this won't be a problem, If they aren't they a $1000 problem will cost them a sale. I am sure that enough people adopt this policy, they will feel the pinch in due time, and the law suits that are sure to come eventually will add an even bigger pinch. With that said, what are the best trailer tires made for RV use without question?
Henry
windquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #175
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I have read the Montana Operators manual from cover to cover and am unable to find any statement in it that says: "Do not use more than 2 or three weekends a year!" Or that "Excessive failures will occur upon usage". Repeatedly, I have seen stated on this forum that the reason some of us are having more failures and problems than others is we are using them more than normal. I guess I don't know what the definition of "Normal Usage" is. It would be a big help to me and possibly other MOC members as to what that definition is. Maybe I have a total misconception of what should be expected.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #176
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dean,

We are fulltimers, and just recently replaced the China Mission bombs after 20k miles.

There was no one telling us to do so, there were no noticeable defects including excessive tread wear. Without regret, we did not ask anyone to buy our new tires or give us any money for the replacements.

Thanks to MOC, we just used good old common sense and did what we thought was right for our safety.

One more time, thank you MOC.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #177
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by windquest2

First of all I want to say thank you to each and everyone of the posters, you have opened our eyes and we have made a decision thanks to this and other forums. We will not buy any trailer with China tires. If the company or dealer won't give a fair trade out, we will buy from those that will. If Keystone is the company that is really interested in customer service, this won't be a problem, If they aren't they a $1000 problem will cost them a sale. I am sure that enough people adopt this policy, they will feel the pinch in due time, and the law suits that are sure to come eventually will add an even bigger pinch. With that said, what are the best trailer tires made for RV use without question?
Henry
I for one applaud your decision. Hopefully others will feel the same. I sure wish I had done this in 2006 when we were looking at RVs. That is one of the first things I look at now. DW goes inside while I'm on my knees checking out the frame, suspension, and tires. There are brands that come with American made tires. The tires I have seen are the Goodyear G614. From what I have seen, this is the only American made ST. There are other tires suitable, namely some American made LT tires. I noticed in the Keystone manual they recommend ST or LT tires.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #178
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Henry,

There are not a lot of options out there, which may explain part of Keystones issue. To meet the actual weight rating for the 7,000 lb axles, there is only 1 tire made in the USA, a Goodyear 14 ply G rated G614 RST which carries a current retail price of $394 each. Keystone did change to Goodyear Marathons, but they are still a Chinese tire.

Don't negotiate yourself into a box Henry - You may get the tire you want, but you may not get the RV you want. All of these companies buy from the same tire suppliers, so again, not a lot of options out there. If you push and wave the green, I imagine most Dealers would run the rig down and put new G614 tires and 110psi tires on the rig at the local Goodyear shop, but they won't loose money on the deal.

If you find the perfect USA tire, I would be happy to buy it, but I won't compromise on my GVWR. So far, Goodyear G614 is the only game in town.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #179
cooneck

M.O.C. #5653
I had a blowout on one tire on my 07 2980RL did $3700 worth of damage. Changing all 5 when it gets out of the shop. Ruined the rim, steps,tirewell molding, and molding on the slide. My travel partner brought his in and replaced 4 of the same brand (MISSION JUNK), dealer said he probably would not have made it back home, the tires were in such bad shape. Always heard the expression of Chinese Junk but thought it referred to a boat now I know different. Would be nice to get help with the purchase of the new ones if a recall is granted. This covered wagon is costing, had a wire harness meltdown at the end of last year now this.
cooneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #180
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
There just isn't the will amongst RV owners to unite and force the manufacturers to get their products up to satisfactory safety standards. Apparently it is going to take several deaths caused by these defective tires to wake up the the rest.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote