Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #341
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
That would be great. I am extremely interested!

If you would be so kind as to try to load Spyder both forward and backing in please. It may matter which way it is loaded for clearance on the rear hard bag of a bagger and if we are carrying kayaks overhead. If a Polaris will fit (even with engineering for hauling) that might sway us toward them instead of the Can Am

For now we favor trailering a Can Am Maverick X3 but we haven’t bought it yet
Well now that we almost have our leak issue squared away we will get back to the fun stuff. we looked at a can am maverick trail & it won't fit. Friday hopefully we are picking up the camper from the dealer & are stopping at a polaris dealer to try our luck. The trail looks good, great specs & at 50" wide it is trail legal every where, Ill let you know.

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #342
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Well now that we almost have our leak issue squared away we will get back to the fun stuff. we looked at a can am maverick trail & it won't fit. Friday hopefully we are picking up the camper from the dealer & are stopping at a polaris dealer to try our luck. The trail looks good, great specs & at 50" wide it is trail legal every where, Ill let you know.

VERY interested to know what ya find out on the Polaris. I thought the Canam Scout would fit?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #343
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I am talking to Keystone on the leaking cable slide gear housings, AC duct work collapsing and electric 6 point level issues. All these seem to universal issues to everyone who has them on their units and really deserve to be RECALL items!

It was amazing that Keystone reached out to me when I mentioned Class Action Lawsuit on here. They contacted me today.....
Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #344
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #22321
What did Keystone say?
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #345
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen.morgan@morrisbb.net View Post
What did Keystone say?
At the moment their "solution" to the leaking slide motors is to install a drip pan. I told them that was equivalent to placing a bucket under a leaking sink drain. It is a band aid not a solution!

They say that they are not "aware" of the issues with electric leveling and try to blame it on customers not taking their units to dealers and reporting the issue thru warranty claims. I told them their slow process of warranty claims and the 20 year old "technicians" that sales dealers hire is the reason owners don't want to take their units in to have them LOOKED AT!

I haven't heard back on the AC duct issue yet.

But it does strike me as interesting that Keystone really stepped up their game when I suggested that a Class Action Lawsuit might be in order. Apparently they realize the issues well enough to realize that if owners united behind these REAL issues they would be in trouble. These three issues deserve RECALLS and I hope they realize it is in their best interest to address them in that manner. Most folks would think highly of a company that can admit when there is an issue and address it accordingly. I know I would...
Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #346
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
VERY interested to know what ya find out on the Polaris. I thought the Canam Scout would fit?
Didn't try the scout, only the maverick trail. The dimensions on the RZR 900 trail look promising & my wife & I fit perfect in the maverick so hopefully the polaris works. Will keep you posted & pics if it works.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #347
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
At the moment their "solution" to the leaking slide motors is to install a drip pan. I told them that was equivalent to placing a bucket under a leaking sink drain. It is a band aid not a solution!

They say that they are not "aware" of the issues with electric leveling and try to blame it on customers not taking their units to dealers and reporting the issue thru warranty claims. I told them their slow process of warranty claims and the 20 year old "technicians" that sales dealers hire is the reason owners don't want to take their units in to have them LOOKED AT!

But it does strike me as interesting that Keystone really stepped up their game when I suggested that a Class Action Lawsuit might be in order. Apparently they realize the issues well enough to realize that if owners united behind these REAL issues they would be in trouble. These three issues deserve RECALLS and I hope they realize it is in their best interest to address them in that manner. Most folks would think highly of a company that can admit when there is an issue and address it accordingly. I know I would...
I asked the tech last week how bad the slide motor leaks were, he said he hasn't come across any yet. Either they dont sell many montanas or he doesn't want to say. I have been looking at ours but I don't think we have had it long enough to develop a problem yet.

I will say at first I had issues with the 3.0 leveling system but once the Lippert tech explained it to me, much better than the dealer it has worked ok the few times I have used it. I brought a pair if auto jack stands to support the front, retracted all the jacks, extended them all past 7", retracted & then set up, worked perfect. Once set up I re leveled the rig & reset zero, it was off a little from the dealer. As a baseline I put the jacks under the front retracted all jacks & re leveled 2 more times to see if it really worked. Unlike the hydraulic system the computer needs to know where the jacks are, needs to start from zero & counts the revolutions. We will see if it holds up.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #348
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I learned same process from Lippert and friends. Now I know it by heart by repetition. I have to “rehome” the jacks after using them a couple times. My thoughts are Keystone should use hydraulics on ALL models. I know they want different price points for their various brands but this isn’t the way to do it. I also don’t think they should try to keep the 380/381 floor plan under 3/4 ton towable. As a 42’ toy hauler that makes zero sense
Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 AM   #349
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:

I had mine in twice for the levelers. Both times it works fine in the shop and not out in the real world.
Shop even says the electric levelers are more trouble than their worth.

Drip pan under gearbox is NOT a fix.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #350
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
I picked ours up on Friday. During the walk through I asked about the leak from the slide motors. Tech told me he has seen them and that there is a fix, replace with new model. Seeing that mine just came of the line I would think I have the new model, but I will keep an eye on them.

Had a issue with the levelling system when I got it home. I manually levelled it myself while waiting for a return call. 5 o'clock I get the call and was told that the jacks need to come down a minimum 6". Told them I can't get the front-rear jacks(or middle) to come down. Tech said that they should when the others come all the way down. Thinking that was stupid I went to youtube and found a vid from Lippert that explained it all. In manual mode hit both right and left at the same time. I extended them all between 6 and 7" then hit auto retract. Problem solved.

Checked the air intakes, cleaned debris and didn't notice any real collapse or restriction. If anything I would buy a couple of those wedge shaped extensions for vacuums to cut and put in place.

Only been a few days but no problem yet, well, I did get a flat on r/center tire on my road but that is just bad luck.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #351
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTom View Post
I picked ours up on Friday. During the walk through I asked about the leak from the slide motors. Tech told me he has seen them and that there is a fix, replace with new model. Seeing that mine just came of the line I would think I have the new model, but I will keep an eye on them.

Had a issue with the levelling system when I got it home. I manually levelled it myself while waiting for a return call. 5 o'clock I get the call and was told that the jacks need to come down a minimum 6". Told them I can't get the front-rear jacks(or middle) to come down. Tech said that they should when the others come all the way down. Thinking that was stupid I went to youtube and found a vid from Lippert that explained it all. In manual mode hit both right and left at the same time. I extended them all between 6 and 7" then hit auto retract. Problem solved.

Checked the air intakes, cleaned debris and didn't notice any real collapse or restriction. If anything I would buy a couple of those wedge shaped extensions for vacuums to cut and put in place.

Only been a few days but no problem yet, well, I did get a flat on r/center tire on my road but that is just bad luck.
Congratulations on the new unit Tom!

We may fuss about the issues on our Keystones but overall they are about as good as anything else on the market. Especially at the price point.

Can you tell if your return air ducts are made of cardboard or hard plastic?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #352
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Question:

Still based on our unique floor plan, if you were able to have something changed about your unit what would it be?

For me it would be have the garage literally 1" wider so it would accommodate a wider variety of side by sides (there are a bunch of models that are 60" wide and the door is literally 59" wide)! GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Also having a removable wall between garage and the mid pass thru storage so I could carry a longer kayak or maybe even a canoe!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #353
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Quote:

Can you tell if your return air ducts are made of cardboard or hard plastic?
They feel like plastic. Can't see anything really but the insulation. When I get the chance I will open one up again and use an inspection mirror, now that I found it.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #354
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Quote:

For me it would be have the garage literally 1" wider so it would accommodate a wider variety of side by sides (there are a bunch of models that are 60" wide and the door is literally 59" wide)! GRRRRRRRR!!!!

If it would be 1" wider you would have to open the slider and if you had to do that might as well make it 6". Maybe then you could put to HOGs down below.

Quote:
Also having a removable wall between garage and the mid pass thru storage so I could carry a longer kayak or maybe even a canoe!

Would love to put both a bike and a canoe down below.

There are a few little things that the DW and I have thought dumb, like some of the lights and switches. For instance, why have the one light in front of the fridge on a switch and not include the two over the table? Why daisy all the GFI's onto the one in the kitchen. That would make it very difficult to narrow down a persistent fault. One other thing, why not have a separate access door for the water/cable. Need water on even when it is raining so why have rain soak the carpet in the front storage area, or even worse, those things that fly and make nests, then you find them and get welts all over!

Those are my few things thus far.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #355
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
Montana 380

New to this forum has anyone tried to fit a Harley Tri Glide Trike in garage.
Hwtezrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #356
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwtezrdr View Post
New to this forum has anyone tried to fit a Harley Tri Glide Trike in garage.
The garage is exactly 59" wide and 10' deep. Height should not be an issue as the bed raises up and you have a lot of headroom then.

I suspect it will fit. I know a Goldwing trike will.

Weight on the door/ramp might be an issue especially with the riders weight added. That is another good reason to add a 12 volt winch in the front end of the garage (I plan to put mine in compartment in front of garage and pass cable thru wall).
Old 08-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #357
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If it would be 1" wider you would have to open the slider and if you had to do that might as well make it 6". Maybe then you could put to HOGs down below.

I have been told current width limit is actually due to the main frame beams. But I bet they could squeeze in at least one more inch somehow......
Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #358
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
Thanks I measured one at Sturgis rally last week, have a keystone rep checking with ramp door mfg for weight rating but that was my same thinking a winch up front only have a couple inches to play with. Was told by a salesman that it was 3000 pound rating just don’t buy that if you talk to enough sales people you end up knowing more than they do if you have done your research.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #359
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
Quote:
The garage is exactly 59" wide and 10' deep. Height should not be an issue as the bed raises up and you have a lot of headroom then.

I suspect it will fit. I know a Goldwing trike will.

Weight on the door/ramp might be an issue especially with the riders weight added. That is another good reason to add a 12 volt winch in the front end of the garage (I plan to put mine in compartment in front of garage and pass cable thru wall).
Posted reply in wrong place will take some time to figure it out.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #360
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwtezrdr View Post
Thanks I measured one at Sturgis rally last week, have a keystone rep checking with ramp door mfg for weight rating but that was my same thinking a winch up front only have a couple inches to play with. Was told by a salesman that it was 3000 pound rating just don’t buy that if you talk to enough sales people you end up knowing more than they do if you have done your research.
As I mentioned my thoughts were putting the winch in the pass thru storage beyond the front wall of the garage allows you to winch your toy all the way up against that same wall and keeps winch out of the way. Winch would also work as a forward tie down. I figured I could run control switch to a handy spot on rear of camper

I have seen more than one ramp that was reinforced with steel or aluminum.... I wouldn’t let that stop ya