Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #81
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
On the thread I started one person said the flex air was great and another said they felt bounce back from the shock. I wonder if the second person just didn't have it adjusted right? Everyone seemed to agree that the Roto Flex was a good choice and it is cheaper so I think that is what we will go with. Our 5er only chucks the 1 ton a little on rough roads and we haven't changed to the better tires yet which may improve the ride a bit.
Looks like there IS no Flex Air for this trailer. That is unless they changed the pin box. I just went to the dealer and they have a '18 380TH (my 381 is not made yet) and this is what was on it.

Looks like Lippert 1116. Can anyone confirm their 380/381 has or had the same pin box? At the dealer all 3 MHCs had 1116.

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #82
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Outlaw,
The answers on my thread were from folks that didn't necessarily have a 380/381.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #83
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawPilot View Post
Looks like there IS no Flex Air for this trailer. That is unless they changed the pin box. I just went to the dealer and they have a '18 380TH (my 381 is not made yet) and this is what was on it.

Looks like Lippert 1116. Can anyone confirm their 380/381 has or had the same pin box? At the dealer all 3 MHCs had 1116.
The 1116 is for a trailer up to 19,000#. They make a lighter one that is a few inches longer only for up ty15,000#. Had the lighter one on my Cougar with a gvwr of 13,500. My new B and W Patriot slider hitch arrives next week. After that the search for a new pin box begins so interested in what you find.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #84
Jimmy2546
Established Member

M.O.C. #20508
Yep same thing happened to me too. it was the front right living room slide. DVD cabinet opened during travel. Lucky thing is that it did not damage anything. I went around and adjusted all the hinges so they are tight.
Jimmy2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #85
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
So what is the total weight and pin weight of a 381? I am sure my 25K Ram factory hitch is good but curious if they have a Rotoflex that will take the weight?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #86
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
So what is the total weight and pin weight of a 381? I am sure my 25K Ram factory hitch is good but curious if they have a Rotoflex that will take the weight?
The 381 should be about the same as the 380, which is about 17,000 gross and 3,000 hitch.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #87
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
So the 1116 model rated at 19K would be heavy enough right? Or is there an issue with the pin box connection to the trailer itself?
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #88
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
So the 1116 model rated at 19K would be heavy enough right? Or is there an issue with the pin box connection to the trailer itself?
Not as far as I can tell. I think the pin box wings (the part than connects to the trailer) remain in place and it's the box itself that we're looking to upgrade. The reason for the 1116 compatibility is size and hole locations to ensure it's a direct swap out.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #89
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
In fact, here's where I am with this, and I need to make a decision to take advantage of Black Friday sales that are ending soon. So, in order of consideration...

1) 5th Airborne 5AB-S500-700
21,000 lbs
Best price: $943 @ etrailer
Air bag and shock. Looks to buffer up/down (by 44%) but said to also buffer chucking by 60%. Those that have used it and the MorRyde seem to prefer to 5th Airborne.

2) MorRyde RPB72-1116-06
19,000 lbs
$599 Amazon
Simple chucking reducer that is very popular and with reports of being reasonably effective. Comes with many Montana's (not High Country).

3) Rotaflex 176440
19,000 lbs
$435 etrailer
Less common but found on some Grand Designs. Said to operate similarly to the MorRyde but by different means.

I actually wanted the Flex Air but it doesn't come in a 1116 version, so I think 5th Airborne is the closest. I've eliminated the TrailAir from consideration since despite being similar to the 5th Airborne it doesn't claim to be for chucking whereas 5th Airborne says it reduces chucking by 60% (accurate claim or not, it claims to serve that function). Also with the 5th Airborne the components are enclosed which I like.

I'm struggling way to hard with this decision!

Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #90
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawPilot View Post
In fact, here's where I am with this, and I need to make a decision to take advantage of Black Friday sales that are ending soon. So, in order of consideration...

1) 5th Airborne 5AB-S500-700
21,000 lbs
Best price: $943 @ etrailer
Air bag and shock. Looks to buffer up/down (by 44%) but said to also buffer chucking by 60%. Those that have used it and the MorRyde seem to prefer to 5th Airborne.

2) MorRyde RPB72-1116-06
19,000 lbs
$599 Amazon
Simple chucking reducer that is very popular and with reports of being reasonably effective. Comes with many Montana's (not High Country).

3) Rotaflex 176440
19,000 lbs
$435 etrailer
Less common but found on some Grand Designs. Said to operate similarly to the MorRyde but by different means.

I actually wanted the Flex Air but it doesn't come in a 1116 version, so I think 5th Airborne is the closest. I've eliminated the TrailAir from consideration since despite being similar to the 5th Airborne it doesn't claim to be for chucking whereas 5th Airborne says it reduces chucking by 60% (accurate claim or not, it claims to serve that function). Also with the 5th Airborne the components are enclosed which I like.

I'm struggling way to hard with this decision!
The Flex Air may not be heavy enough and that may be the reason it will not work with the 1116. I don't think I want the air bag that comes on a few either. I was offered a used Rotaflex cheap. It was used a couple months and the 5er traded. I may wait until next national rally and have MorRide install there or?????
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #91
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Outlaw, This is one decision that warrants a LOT of thought. Thanks for the details, your really helping others including me. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #92
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I don't think I want the air bag that comes on a few either. I was offered a used Rotaflex cheap. It was used a couple months and the 5er traded. I may wait until next national rally and have MorRide install there or?????
So you're only considering NON airbag options? Curious of your reasons for that.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #93
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Outlaw, This is one decision that warrants a LOT of thought. Thanks for the details, your really helping others including me. Thanks!
I do this for EVERYTHING! A little OCD perhaps! Which of these appeals to you?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #94
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I lean toward the rotaflex as I haven't heard anything negative about it. Simple, cheap and made specifically to address Chucking which is at least so far the only issue we have experienced. The only concern is you usually get what you pay for and it is not way over rated for weight (remember we have the 25K factory hitch). I like everything to be super duty and way in excess of what is actually required in critical components.
I heard the ones with the air bags and shocks tended to bounce back and forth for a while after absorbing the initial shock?? Again that might just be folks not knowing how to adjust them....
Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #95
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
I lean toward the rotaflex as I haven't heard anything negative about it. Simple, cheap and made specifically to address Chucking which is at least so far the only issue we have experienced. The only concern is you usually get what you pay for and it is not way over rated for weight (remember we have the 25K factory hitch). I like everything to be super duty and way in excess of what is actually required in critical components.
I heard the ones with the air bags and shocks tended to bounce back and forth for a while after absorbing the initial shock?? Again that might just be folks not knowing how to adjust them....
Of these choices the 5th Airborne looks to support the most weight. As for the airbags, I'll be adding them to the RAM 3500 soon. In the pin box, I assume all that bouncing is from an UNDER inflated bag?

Old 11-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #96
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I meant air bag on the pin box not on the truck. Does the Airborne have an airbag with a single shock? Or is it solid rubber?

However, since you mentioned airbags on the truck suspension AND it looks like you have the same truck as us (RAM 3500, diesel dually 4x4), plus I am thinking about adding air bags too........

If your truck is white we are going to have a tough time telling who is who if we are camped at the same park LOL.....
Old 11-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #97
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Started new thread under tow trucks about the RAM airbags.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #98
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
I meant air bag on the pin box not on the truck. Does the Airborne have an airbag with a single shock? Or is it solid rubber?
I figured you were referring to pin box bags. The Airborne DOES have a single bag and shock. It's the one I'm leaning toward for that reason, although that seems to be exactly the reason you'd avoid it.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #99
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
However, since you mentioned airbags on the truck suspension AND it looks like you have the same truck as us (RAM 3500, diesel dually 4x4), plus I am thinking about adding air bags too........

If your truck is white we are going to have a tough time telling who is who if we are camped at the same park LOL.....
Nope, we're dark pearl green! I'll follow up with air bag info in that other thread.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #100
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Guess it's ok for us to add the Razorbacks to ours then since we won't be matching anyway LOL.

I haven't locked on one hitch pin over the other quite yet. I initially expected the air bag to be superior but there were a couple of comments to the contrary. Like I said though it may have just been a user lack of knowledge....I started another thread on that too so lets see what we hear.