Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Was up in Goshen September, 2 years ago late next month, when I had upgraded axles and hydraulic from gear added to my SOB. Neighbor (Mike) who went with me to help with driving wanted to see how the Montana and others were made so we stopped by several of the plants while waiting for Lippert to finish the stuff on my unit. Montana, Forest River both said NO to gooseneck; and that Lippert would void the warranty. So, when we went back to get my unit, Mike asked specifically about pulling with a gooseneck adapter and was told by two separate people that doing so would void the frame warranty if it appeared the damage was caused by the torsion forces. They did offer that they would be more than happy to sell the manufacturer(s) an appropriately beefed up chassis which would be able to handle for forces -- and he would be able to use either a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch with the proper safety margine. Don't know if either of these men still work there -- one was the salesman I dealt with for the hydraulic front gear, the other was the salesman/technician for the 7K axles / disc brakes that Trailaire installed.

Since then, I've seen a letter from Excel manufacturers posted on the bulletin board at 4 Seasons RV (my local Montana dealer) and it states that the use of gooseneck adapters on their trailers constitutes a breach and voids their warranty on the frame and front towing points (it is more specific as to the parts - I just don't remember the exact wording at this time.).

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote