Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Replacing AC unit?

Hi all, been a while. Life's been kicking my booty.

I have a Dometic ducted AC. Just the one, there is a separate one in the bedroom that functions as a window unit and space heater. The one in the bedroom does a great job at getting the bedroom cool on a hot day.

However, the main ducted AC, absolutely does not. Where I live the majority of the summer is upper 90's, with lots of humidity, and we always have several weeks of above 100.

Well, this past week, we had a few days in a row of mid to upper 80's. The main AC cools so poorly, I found it more comfortable to just open all the windows. All it seems to be good for is cutting down on the humidity some, which I need to do to protect my medical equipment. But it's still not doing enough. This goes beyond just a little discomfort... my neighbor's RV is much cooler, also. Additionally it's a medical necessity to be able to stay cool, and while upper 80's is tolerable, I am scared of what's going to happen when our real summer hits and it starts reaching 90's and 100's.

I don't know if this is normal for Dometic AC's or not? I do know I had another SOB temporarily and it only had one AC, but it made that RV like a refrigerator inside with no problem even in upper 90's. I wish I knew what brand that one was. I know that complete climate comfort is not always going to be possible in an RV and I can hang with that, but I also know it can be better than THIS.

So, can anyone tell me if I can easily replace the main AC with a better brand that will cool better? If so, what brands are good? Where would I find one to buy? And who would I get to install it? Will it void my warranty for the entire RV if I do this? I still have until November for my bumper-to-bumper warranty.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote