Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Warranty issues--is the dealer correct?

Had our Big Sky in to fix several warranty issues, and the dealer did not or was not able to fix several of them. Instead, he offerred some explanations that I wanted to run by fellow MOC members to see if the dealer is correct.

1. We inadvertently let the galley tank fill to the point that we could see water rising up to the bottom of the sink drain. No problem I thought--I just went out and drained the galley tank. But a little while later, we noticed that the bottom of the cupboard area below the sink was wet, so we put it on the list of items for the dealer to check. The dealer's response was that "water was backing up and coming out of ventline position right next to the sink behind the access door." His solution--don't let the galley tank get filled, because if it does, the water will leak out of this "ventline position." We're new to this, but I didn't think that water should leak out of any vent whenever the galley tank got filled. We have the 340RLQ, which should have the same sink setup as the 3400. Is the dealer correct that this happens whenever the galley tank fills all the way up?

2. The plastic sheeting/lining on the inside of the glass in many of the overhead cupboards was bubbling up. The dealer called the factory and was told to simply remove the plastic backing. The tech who did the work put in a note saying that this plastic sheeting was safety backing, and he ran it by all the management people at the dealership before pulling the sheeting off. Question--is this sheeting really for safety purposes, and if so, is there a problem in just removing it altogether like Keystone said to do?

3. We have the new Big Sky latches on the closet doors in the bedroom. Even when we latch them, we find that one or both of the doors will come open about one third of the time when we are traveling down the road. Asked the dealer to check this as well. His answer--the latches are working properly, and this is something I just have to expect. And that I should cut a piece of wood and lay it in the closet door track when we are in motion if I want to be sure to keep the doors from opening. Is that the only/proper solution for this problem?

4. Our entry door rubs against the underside of the power awning when the awning is extended. The dealer said that the awning was installed too low and that it would be a major project to raise the awning higher--could result in leaving holes in the side of the rig. They are talking to Keystone about what to do--dealer is saying I may have to take the rig back to the factory to repair this. At the North East Rally, I mentioned this problem to the dealer from Pocono RV who was at the Rally. He said that Keystone was aware of this problem with some early Big Skys and had fixed the problem in newer units by mounting the awning higher. So two questions. First, is it a big problem to fix an awning that is mounted too low? Second, is anyone else with earlier model Big Skys experiencing this problem (mine is a 2007 340RLQ, serial number 103), and are those with later model units not experiencing this problem?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote