Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Calling all Alaska Travelers

We are starting to plan the great Alaskan trip. I would like to lean on your experiences for some feedback on these topics.
1.You recommendations on Sights that must be seen on the road up to Alaska and while in ALaska.
2.What Sightseeing busts should we avoid
3.On the trip from Portland to Fairbanks if travel time were not a big issue how many days would you allot for the trip up? Giving time to enjoy the key sites and places along the way. We will be retired and can take a fairly leisurely trip up.
4. What time of Spring would be the earliest you would start up.
5. What essentials (ie. spare tires, tools, parts etc) would you say are Don't Leave Home Without It items.
6. What are some must see or do things not to miss.
7. How long do you feel is adequate to enjoy a good sampling of the Fairbanks area? 3 weeks, month, or longer
8. Same for Anchorage.
9. What were some of the best RV locations you stayed in on your trip? We will have a 3400RL or possibly a 3650. Preferably Pull Through Sites.
10. Where did you stay in each location and how would you rate that park?
11. Is there anything you should have left home that you felt you needed when you first left.
12. What precautions or measures should we expect from local authorities in Canada and Alaska?
13. Any other things that you can think of that would be planned into your trip if you where planning another one?
14. What would you suggest as a good daily mileage to cover under normal conditions.
14. Any areas on the way up that are great to see but would not warrant staying over more than a nite? In other words points that one can make where the scenery is the main course and ther is just more of the same the next day with little points of interest in between. I guess another way to say it is where would you choose to make time and not loiter?

I know this was allot to ask but I would very much appreciate your feedback. Obviously this is a trip of some duration and expense and one that will be just allot of fun to plan. We intend to give the trip the time it deserves. Currently I am thinking of a departure time of 5/15 depending on weather and about 2-3 weeks to get there. A couple in Fairbanks and another couple in Anchorage. If you were to want to give one more time than the other (with scenery, wildlife, as the emphasis which area would you lean towards?
Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote