Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by montanaowner

My parents just picked up their new 3400RL a few weeks ago. Since that time they have been plagued with problems. Mostly they were little problems the dealer fixed right up however the leaky windows could not be fixed by the dealer.

They ordered the 5th wheel with the dual pane windows highly tinted. Of course they paid extra for them. They live in the unit year round and some times in cold climates so they need them.

The windows came barely tinted and every single window leaks water into the trailer when it rains or when washing it. They took it back to the dealer who ran a pressure test by filling the trailer with air pressure while soaping the windows. The dealer confirmed that it was the window tracks. The water collects in the track and runs right inside and right down the walls. Even light rain fall does not drain away outside fast enough to prevent it leaking inside.

My dad being the man he is pulled the trailer to the manufacturer to put the problem in thier laps. Apparently the windows are farmed out but the folks that build them are right on site. The window manufacturers spent three hours trying to convince my dad that water entering the trailer via the window tracks was normal and they would not be able to fix it. At that point my dad asked where they wanted the f....ing trailer parked. They finally admitted they were aware of some problems and as a matter of fact had made an engineering change a couple of weeks ago. They agreed to make a whole new set of windows at thier cost and install them. However at the last they insisted they still would not guarantee that water would not come in the trailer even with the new windows.

Oh and to top it off they told my dad that even though he ordered high tint they did not do that and would not be able to do it. Then five minutes later they about faced and said they would do a deep tint.

He is not at all happy with his purchase experience so far. I think minus the problems he likes the trailer but having to tow it to the manufactuer and argue to get an obvious problem fixed is not endearing him to the manufactuer.

I do not know the final outcome yet but my dad assumes they would not agree to make a new set of windows unless they knew some things they were not admitting. So he thinks the new windows will not leak.

I was really wondering after this big post if anyone else has recently purchased a unit with the dual pane window option and did they too have leaks or water running freely in through the tracks.

Part of what bothers me is I have anderson windows on my home and the weep holes are only on the tracks on the part that opens. You cannot see them on the inside. My mother said she can see right out the weep holes from inside the trailer. they freely let air in and out. What is the point of a dual pane window if your weep holes let air flow freely in and out? It sounds like those windows are badly engineered or installed wrong.
Montanaowner, do you have a Montana too? I see we are both from the same neck of the woods. Are your parents from Michigan as well?

We have dual paned windows on our Big Sky. It is an older Montana as it is just a bit over two years old now. We've not had any problems with water leaking in under any circumstances. We've been in some very heavy rains set up and while on the road.

Ours are tinted but I would not call them deep tinted. Of course maybe I don't know what deep tinted are? I don't think they are as tinted as the top of my wind shield on our truck?

My sister has the same model your parents have and has dual paned windows too and she's not had a problem.

I'm sure if anyone has had this problem they will pop in here and advise you.

I wonder what the change is that they made?

If we ever are fortunate enough to buy another Montana we'd get dual paned windows for sure.

Wishing your Dad all the best on the window replacements.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote